druxey

Miniature Russian carving tools

I’ll second what Bill has just said. I too tried to place an order a while back but had to wait until Mihail returned in October. I received my set last week and they are every bit as beautiful as others have said. Again, communication was via Google translate and payment via PayPal - both painless operations. Mikhail has been a thoroughly nice person to deal with as well.

Ah, yes, those beautiful gouges/chisels.
Back in February I was feeling sorely tempted to order a set.  But at the time I decided not to, on the grounds that I'm old, and might not get full value from Mihail's exquisite work prior to kicking the bucket.  Good tools deserve to be used, don't they?

But thank you, Bill, for reminding me about them.
You re-kindled the fire of tool-lust that burns within my decrepit heart.  I've now decided I must try and live long enough to enjoy them.  So this evening I sent Mihail an email.

Anyway, I'm now apparently #5 on his waiting list.  He said he's hoping to get them to me around the end of the year.  But don't hurry, Mikail!  Do your usual superb job!

Just for information, Mihael is pretty quick in making these tools once your 'turn' comes up.  Delivery from Russia seems a bit slow, however  (although my experience might have been a bit skewed by the Christmas rush).  He posted mine on 13th December; they arrived today (9th January).

Can someone PM me his email address?  I’d love to get a set as I’d like to start carving.

Just out of curiousity, any recommendations on which kind of handles to get?  I assume the palm handle ones are better if you don’t have enough hand strength?  I would think I would have an easier time with the ones that are more pencil like in shape, but I’ve never worked with the other type except in the case of a ball handle pin vise.

Thanks!

I got this address from druxey Mike.

Hi. I should emphasize that these are for experienced miniature carvers. They are, in the small sizes, very delicate tools, easily broken if misused. However, if you are up to it, they will make a superb investment. Michail's contact info:

mihail.kirsanov@mail.ru

Regarding handles is a matter of prefrerance. For fine work I would prefer the palm handle version for close in work. Go to Woodcraft and handle their miniature palm set for a similar sense of that style.

Joe

Joe’s right - they are very delicate, precision tools.  Frankly, I’m glad I chose the standard handles that allow you to manipulate the gouges much as you might hold a pen or a fine sable brush.  The palm handles (yes, I have got some palm chisels) don’t seem to give you the same control at the very fine level.

Mind you, I suppose it all depends on your own ‘feel’ for tools like this.

I realize this string is over a year old now, but as I just ordered a set of chisels from Mihail that he is targeting to ship early February I would like any information on sharpening based on members' experience that have used his or similar sized micro chisels.   I use the Veritas for relatively larger chisels but gather from earlier posts that this does not work for the micro chisels.   I am envisioning a triangular block with various angles of 25 degrees, et al to hold the chisel at the proper angle when honing on a stone and then stropping but this seems almost too simple.  In addition,  I have a small leather stropping pad and stropping compound, but if there are suggestions on a better stropping device, I am all ears.  

Allan

Simple is good, Allan. I think the trick is to strop/hone frequently to avoid resharpening too often. If one does need to sharpen, a guide block is a good idea. One still needs a delicate touch when tuning up miniature gouges.