Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
torpedochief

Charles W Morgan 1937 Plan Set Preservaation

I acquired a set of plans for the famous Whaleship Morgan. It shows her as ship rigged. How should i preserve and conserve these plans? They are getting brittle.

Thanks

Chief

It may be advisable to have these scanned before they deteriorate further. If preserving the original set is important, find a qualified paper conservator through your local museum or art gallery.

Having started out using an IBM 1130 in the early 70's with it's hard drive being about 14" X 3". We kept our files on key punch cards, a Fortran  COGO program was what we used for Surveying applications and had tons of key punch cards stored in the basement. The only records useful today are the field notes and printouts we poked in a file and indexed in a file cabinet or the original drawings filed in the County records. In other words, printed hard copies, not digitizing is where you store  data you may wish to use again. Were it me I would obtain a good scan and print it out full size on mylar and then spray with a fix-it and store the sheets in a flat file of some sort. You can use your digitized scan to print as many paper copies as you wish, stored they will keep a long time but get brittle. The mylar is considered archival-able  in this state for records, if etching ink has been used. It is that ink that is hard to find in use, unless you go to a surveying or engineering firm that produces archival-able drawings for recording in a public record. The mylar is tough and stable and unless abused you can make prints from it or scan it into new technology for a very long time.

jud :pirate41:

mtaylor likes this

I am a professional conservator...   you can PM if you'd like.   I am an accredited and peer-reviewed professional through the American Institute for Conservation, work for a major Univeristy and have extensive experience with flat objects on paper.  Would be happy to help.   

mtaylor likes this