kurtvd19

David Botton has passed AKA - dgbot

David Botton passed away peacefully last night at 8:33 PM.  David’s Sister Diane called me this morning at 9:00 AM and asked me to let all of the Chicago area modelers know of his passing.

David was a member of the Nautical Research Guild for 25 years.   David attended most of the annual conferences from (about) 1997 up until he became ill.

David was also a member of all 3 of the Chicago area clubs for some time longer than his NRG membership - unfortunately the club records are not as good as the NRG's.

The local clubs are:

The North Shore Deadeyes - Northfield, IL.

The Midwest Model Shipwrights - Mt. Prospect, IL.

The Nautical Research and Model Ship Society – Westmont, IL

David was passionate about ship modeling, always willing to help and encourage other modelers and a tremendous supporter of the local clubs and the Midwestern Model Ships & Boats Contest and Display at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum in Manitowoc, WI. 

He was very active on Model Ship World - DGBOT -  in the past few years, helping other modelers build better models through his advice and encouragement. 

David will be cremated and his ashes spread in Lake Michigan in Chicago. He will be missed.

Kurt

Thank you Kurt,

I did not kow David personally,  but our sincere condolences go out to his family and friends.

May the memories of David bring peace and comfort.

Rest in peace, David.

Regards,

Anja & Sjors

neptune, Canute, coxswain and 17 others like this

I met David at the Portland, ME conference.  I had known him from his online conversations before that.  Quite a character.

My sympathies to his family.

I knew him from the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society – Westmont, IL.  I took over his position as secretary in this club.  He helped me get started and gave me some tips of what to do.  He will be missed.

Marcus

Eddie, Canute, thibaultron and 10 others like this

Aw, that's very sad. David was one of the few modelers around here to enthusiastically embrace card modeling. He'll be missed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Davids family.  His enthusiasm and helpfulness around here will be missed.  His was a bright spirit.

Bob

mtaylor, Canute, Eddie and 9 others like this

so sorry to hear of his passing.  he was a good chap to chat with here on the site.   my condolences............calm winds :( 

Canute, Eddie, Anja and 7 others like this

He will be missed.  Despite what we was going through, he always was in high spirit and was in so many discussions that it felt like I had known him for years, although I never met him.

How very, very sad.  I never met David, but he touched me in so many ways.  From the many Likes and Comments that he would post, through to his overwhelming enthusiasm and passion about the hobby that we all love.

I will miss you, David.

My condolences to your sister, family and friends.

Patrick

mtaylor, Anja, Canute and 6 others like this

David was a remarkable person. Even when he was in dire straits, he still could find the strength to help others in his own special way. My condolences to his famnily and I wish them strength to cope with his loss. I will miss him, and his positive attitude.

Anja, Omega1234, Canute and 5 others like this

A loss to friends and family, and a loss to the community here. I never knew David, however I did recognize his profile picture on many many threads. 

Canute, Omega1234, cog and 4 others like this

I hope somebody close to Dave and his family is saving all these messages of sympathy so they can be passed on to his family.  I saved the messages sent when fellow modeler Neb Kehoe, who some few of you here may have known, passed and sent them to his wife.  She was very appreciative.

cog, Anja, mtaylor and 4 others like this

David's sisters and brother-in-law visited Chicago Saturday to meet with David's friends from the 3 Chicago area clubs and his work.  It was not a memorial service but a gathering of David's friends to tell the family things about David and vice versa.  I have spoken a few times with Diane, the sister David stayed with during his illness and provided her the link to see all of these responses.  The link below is to his obit and comments can be posted there.  His family was very happy to see the MSW posts to see that David had many more friends than they were aware of.

Kurt 

http://www.hagartywaychoffgrarup.com/obituaries/David-Glen-Botton?obId=1400888#/obituaryInfo

Anja, mtaylor, CaptainSteve and 8 others like this