Gorch Fock by Adrieke - OcCre - 1:95

......and we are underway!!!!!!!

Here's wishing for a great voyage.  I'm here next to Sjors.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

welcome Randy, Sjors, Keith Augie and Anja :)

and thanks for the good wishes :)

after some thoughts last night I have decided to build this kit as is without any additions or changes.  

I think that's why I was getting bogged down with the Endeavour : too much thinking of how things need to be and together with the KOM that was getting too much for me. I want this to be a fun and relaxing build. and hoping with the bit of experience I have now I can make her look like the pictures on the box :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

never say that Andrieke.......sooner or later you'll see something about the ship......and you'll want to add it.  I tried the out of the box thing.........it doesn't work.   I'm glad to see you started on it though ;)    I was right though.........when you finally felt like starting back up.....you went like a house a fire!   feels good too.........huhhhhhhh!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Ah... made it just in time.... <slides into chair>  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Popeye I am deliberately not looking at photos of her (there are many on the web) so I cant be tempted. and yes it feels good to be back especially today . I spend morning and afternoon working on a fold up table out side (nice weather here)  and it felt so relaxing :)

don't worry David I am being careful. bush fire season already started early :(

yup just in time Mark because I have been doing plenty

while adding the bulkheads and glue is drying on the workbench inside I sat outside (watched by our cat and pet mouse) working on the deck planking.

both the deck and hull planks (second layer) are of poor quality and have lots of fuzz on the edges so I started with sanding them a bit using the jig I made for caulking

post-622-0-28392000-1379835967_thumb.jpg

over 200 planks later and a few hours I finished the first part of the middle deck

post-622-0-62456500-1379835978_thumb.jpg

the keel and bulkheads are all in place including the plywood in the middle to ensure bulkheads are lined up properly (makes it so much more easier)

post-622-0-67854000-1379835972_thumb.jpg

Getting a good start Adriaan... I enjoy the view from here :)

I agree with Popeye... you'll never make it without some bash... sooner or later you'll run across some little thing, something that OcCre did okay but you know you could do better and BOOM... bashing begins :P And so what... from what I see you're up to the task :D and your GF will be better for it.

thanks Sjors :) and yup had plenty of deck planking on the king so I am as good at it as you are with ratlines ^_^

thanks Randy . we ll see .

I am on step 12 out of 261 (that is without masts and rigging) and have found one inconsistency :

the deck planking was supposed to be strip of 65 mm length . after I cut the first few I tried them out on the deck and noticed it didn't look the same as th e picture. after some measuring I think the planks in the picture are 100mm. so had to make my first decision.

a bit more measuring and the lengths of the 3 deck parts (200 mm, 150mm and 120mm) suggests to use 100mm planks so that's what I did :)

after an AL build with lots of instructions mistakes i am a veteran in spooting them :huh:  ^_^

i have decided to not similate trenailing : first reason is that after doing the first part i like how it looks now without them. second reason is that i would use the same method (toothpicks) and drilling over a 1000 holes then adding the toothpicks is not apealing to me for this build

Edited by Adrieke

let the bash begin........it's not a bad thing :)    do this bad girl the way YOU want to.   I'm liking the length already ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

it surprised me that the last part of the deck did not have any support where it sits against the bulkhead

would have been easy to have 2 slots cut out to slide the deck in

I added a strip of wood against the bulkhead so the deck could lie on top :)

post-622-0-44202700-1379941484_thumb.jpg

adding the bow reinforcements . as you can see she is taking up the whole length of my working area

post-622-0-26938900-1379941491_thumb.jpg

started on planking the front deck. i use my two metal rulers to make sure its all aligned properly

post-622-0-42278200-1379941498_thumb.jpg

You're gonna need a bigger table :omg:

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Adriaan,

When you are starting to plank the hull ,you really need a bigger table !

As far that I can see it……looks ….BIG ! ( great )

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

fortunately Augie and sjors my table is bigger just need to move some tools and materials ^_^

looking good Andrieke....your making some great progress! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Box arrived today

attachicon.gifDSCN0245.JPG

as you can see the boxes (2 on top of eachother) are quit damaged as was mentioned by the seller.

attachicon.gifDSCN0246.JPG

at first glance none of the pieces inside are damaged . mostly due to the fact that there is plenty of space in the boxes and everything actualy fits in one box

as usual i started with markign and counting the parts

OcCre does not make this easy as there are 2 seperate numberings going from 1 to over 200 with some parts coverd in both numberings

after a first count of premade wood and metal parts i have 1 part missing and 2 others lacking the needed quantity

i wil let the store wher i bought it know and that i will email them a detailed describtion of the missing parts this weekend

the instructions consists of a booklet with colour pictures covering the hul and deck furniture assembly (first numbering)

the book wiht the text going with these pictures is in spanish so i wil need to see if an english translation is available (if not with online translators and a bit of understanding of the language i have i should get a decent translation myself)

finaly there are 23 A3 plans stapled together covering masts and rigging (the second numbering)

both instructions seem to be an improvement from the AL instructions i have seen so far but the double numbering is a bit stupid

Wow...good to know to check.. I am amazed how they could miss so many parts. Will definitely check off my items when they arrive. You can't trust anyone to do the right thing these days. In my job if someone gets a count wrong the patient dies.

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Hello Adriaan,glad your getting better,I tried to get your new kit on a sale but was outbidded maybe that was a good thing,the parts for the San Martin that were missing were replaced fairly quick,but you must email yourself direct,keep a seat for me(third row centre)right behind Sjors.I heard he is a popcorn thrower.Edwin :dancetl6:

Hi Adriaan,

It seems that Occre is very good in quality...

And there is good start in quasi-open air...

And thank you for visiting my Log, dropping there 21 Likes in a daym1830.gif, examining it from head to foot...  m0161.gif

Appreciated very much!...

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

thanks Popeye . we are still in the easy stage of the build so progress is going well :)

hello Pygothian. yes unfortunately its a common thing but I guess with a kit that includes a few thousand pieces its difficult. fortunately OcCre's customer service is excellent :) 

hello Edwin . I was unlucky with my kit that there where so many parts missing. I have read through the instructions many times now and although its going to be lots of work I feel like this is a very enjoyable kit :) I am sure Sjors will behave now he is promoted and I got some good beer to keep him quiet ;)

thanks for visiting Ferit :). I finally got round to looking at your fabulous build :) be prepared for many more likes as I am about half way in it :)

finished the forward structure . it needed some sanding to make it sit nicely on the deck

post-622-0-65318900-1380026391_thumb.jpg

overview showing the half planked forward deck and the 2 finished structures .

post-622-0-69247400-1380026400_thumb.jpg

some filler was needed to make sure there are no gaps for the painting later on

post-622-0-11453500-1380026408_thumb.jpg

more reinforcements installed

post-622-0-00106300-1380026415_thumb.jpg

I was going to install some more till I realised that I needed to install the other decks first :huh:

next few days will be spend planking the decks ( think about 1/4 of the way done )

I don't know about a bigger bench Adriaan

You have so much on the go I would say a bigger workshop  :P 

That Gorch Fock is one big boat  :o 

Like me now with the Will it is nice to have something different to turn to 

I know after assembling the porthole and scupper covers on the Endeavour with my mag headset on fried things and a rest doing something bigger was needed

It's certainly coming along nicely though isn't it

Is the hull fully painted or is there any wood showing?

Nice work Adriaan  :cheers: 

<p><strong><span style="font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;"><span style="font-size:18px;">Keep it up :10_1_10:</span></span><span style="font-size:18px;font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;"> </span></strong></p>

<p><strong><span style="font-size:18px;font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;">Mick</span></strong></p>

<p> </p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;">Current Build --- Will Everard --- </span><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3636-will-everard-by-micklen32-billing-boats-167/'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3636-will-everard-by-micklen32-billing-boats-167/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Current Build --- Endeavour --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2804-hmb-endeavour-by-micklen32-occre-154/'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2804-hmb-endeavour-by-micklen32-occre-154/</a></span></p>

<p> </p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- Guitar --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://micksjem.blogspot.co.uk/'>http://micksjem.blogspot.co.uk/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- Barcelona Taxi --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://micklen-taxi.blogspot.co.uk/'>http://micklen-taxi.blogspot.co.uk/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- London Tram --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://micklen-tram.blogspot.co.uk/'>http://micklen-tram.blogspot.co.uk/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- OcCre Mississippi --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1803-spirit-of-mississippi-by-micklen32-occre-180-a-hopefully-accurate-rendition/'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1803-spirit-of-mississippi-by-micklen32-occre-180-a-hopefully-accurate-rendition/</a></span>

the workbench will do Mick but I am concerned on where I am going to display all these ships :huh:

apart from the decks and the masts and stuff everything will be painted

Adriaan,

You are really on the move with the CF  :D

Soon finished….. :P

And you will find a place to display them.

I thought I had the same problem , but no.

I have a high corridor upstairs.

A few planks at the wall and voila….

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

haha Sjors soon it will start to slow down especially if I am making big mistakes like I already did

and we don't have an upstairs :P

I only had an hour of free time today as I need to do some work from home (move a few virtual servers around )

so I sanded down the filler and put a base coat on the 2 structures

post-622-0-56948400-1380111002_thumb.jpg

when I was preparing to do some planking on the ship I saw that one of the 3 false decks was not glued down completely.

I cant believe I didn't notice that before. fortunately that also meant it was not glued down much and with a bit of work I had it loose enough so I could re glue it. I didn't use clamps the first time instead used some heavy objects on top

this time I wanted to make sure it was done properly so I brought tout the big guns (clamps)

post-622-0-59450100-1380111457_thumb.jpg

NICE!!!:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: