USF Confederacy by elainedouglas (Douglas Chan) - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64 - First wooden ship build - Starting 31 December 2016

Hi Douglas,

good work, you sure are a swift builder, nice progress in the first months....

:)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎29 at 5:37 PM, Mirabell61 said:

Hi Douglas,

good work, you sure are a swift builder, nice progress in the first months....

:)

Nils

Thank you Nils !

I am new to this subject, still got a lot to learn. Quite a lot of fitting work which recall me of the time as a trainee some twenty plus years ago.

Regards,

Douglas

Loveley work reminds me  of my old build, can I ask if you dont mind - whats the connection with your avatar name and picture - just curious.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

23 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Loveley work reminds me  of my old build, can I ask if you dont mind - whats the connection with your avatar name and picture - just curious.

OC.

Hahahaa, no, I wouldn't mind at all. That is not my eye, nor my wife's eye. It is a photo I copied from internet more than ten years ago. I use it in some forums. Hehe, sorry to disappoint you. :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎08 at 5:36 PM, MartinB said:

Hi Douglas,

Are you still active on this build, Or, are you just really busy like everyone else in Hong Kong. Love that place! 

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin, yes, I am still here. I tried to make perfect the bow and stern filler blocks, well, I tried to make it better. Then I went for a family tour, and then to arrange shipment of a R/C model boat from Bristol.............haha, these were what made me busy and seemed to be disappear.

I am still here and I will get back onto the model, soon.

Regards,

Douglas

• 4 weeks later...

Moving onto the beakhead bulkhead deck. Basswood strips were planked. It was said that the top of the planked deck should flush with the door opening sill. It was already a little lower than the sill. After sanding, it is even lower. May be I have to plank a second layer and make it good. Should I sand the deck to a curve shape ? Lower at both sides and higher at center ?

20170610_232209.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello Douglas -  I am also building Confederacy and am working on the filler strips under the stern counter.  I have been looking at other build logs to try and understand how the final shape should look.  I hate to say it, but I don't think yours are quite right.  Check the instructions on page 19:  "The outer edge of the strip should be flush with the edge of the lower counter (as defined by the stern frames)" and take a look at the picture.  Dubz' build log illustrates how this should look:

Click on the arrow at the upper right to go to the correct entry.   With your current filler block, I don't think the planking will turn out very well.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 6:54 AM, GaryKap said:

Hello Douglas -  I am also building Confederacy and am working on the filler strips under the stern counter.  I have been looking at other build logs to try and understand how the final shape should look.  I hate to say it, but I don't think yours are quite right.  Check the instructions on page 19:  "The outer edge of the strip should be flush with the edge of the lower counter (as defined by the stern frames)" and take a look at the picture.  Dubz' build log illustrates how this should look:

Click on the arrow at the upper right to go to the correct entry.   With your current filler block, I don't think the planking will turn out very well.

<<Gary>>

Hi Gray !

I love you so much ! Finally there is one telling me whether I am doing right or wrong. It is my first time and I found it very difficult to visualize the shape of the bow and stern. Now you are telling me what it should be like. I am glad that you are telling me at this early stage. I got to figure out what to do to make it right.

Looks I got away to another modelling project is to wait for your comment !

Thank you again !

Regards,

Douglas

Hi Douglas - You are certainly welcome.  Glad I could help.  That's one of the nice things about this web site - people helping other people without the "snarky" remarks so often seen on web sites.  All things considered, you are doing an admirable job; especially for your first build.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana