Belated Intro from tornado alley...

Bulwark

Hey all,

Bulwark here from Oklahoma, watching the twisters go by and oblivious to them because my mind is on this hobby now. :) I have had a great experience here so far. Lots of great encouragement and advice. This helps more than anything to make me want to build things. I've seen some amazing, and mind blowing work here. There is such talent gathered in this site. I am glad to be a part of it. My humble beginnings are in the gallery now and although it is some rough work, I am proud of it. I finished it, and I have two ships waiting to be build: the Bluenose II (AL) and the Red Dragon (AL). I know that I will get all the help I need to make these models come alive. I'm taking a particular interest in fabrication of small ship furniture, such as I saw done by Ms. Galad from Brazil who modded her Red Dragon to have a furnished cabin complete with LED whale oil lamp to illuminate the tiny room, and transparent windows to allow the viewer to see inside. That is the kind of modeler I aspire to be. But it is a long road to such a thing. I don't know if I can manage to get there, but the journey is thing. Couldn't ask for better fellow travelers. 

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

In Progress: 1:60 Red Dragon (Artesania Latina)

In Progress: 1:75 Bluenose II (Artesania Latina)

Completed: 1:40 Scale 1937 Sakkonet Daysailer

Hi Bulwark,

:sign:

You're in good company here as we're all on that journey together.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Bulwark,

A warm and non-windy welcome to :sign:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 2 weeks later...

Hey howya goin mate welcome.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Welcome to the club Bulwark.  I think I know what you mean about tornado alley.  While stationed at Ft. Sill, OK when in the Army in 72, I was in 4 tornados in just my first 2 months there! 

Concerning your upcoming build of AL’s Bluenose II,  try to get your hands on Ships-In-Scale magazine issues JUL/AUG 03 thru MAY/JUN 04.  It’s a six part practicum by John Earl that has many useful suggestions

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Dave, I have the practicum as well as some more direct help from John Earl himself! I know about where Ft. Sill is. Yeah, it would be prone to tornadoes. I've been through too many to count. lol.

Thanks for the warm welcome, gang!

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

In Progress: 1:60 Red Dragon (Artesania Latina)

In Progress: 1:75 Bluenose II (Artesania Latina)

Completed: 1:40 Scale 1937 Sakkonet Daysailer

Welcome to MSW! I share your weather as I'm just North of you in Kansas. In fact, we are having a good thunderstorm as I type this. It's good to have you with us and I wish you all the best on your future builds. There is a lot that can be learned here from some great modelers.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Welcome aboard from down under. At least you'll have no problems getting wind into your sails. Best of luck.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard