Passenger Liner M/V Africa by sailorross - restoration 1:100

Hello everyone,

I have been trying for about a year to buy this old model of a Lloyd Triestino Line passenger liner….tenacity and convincing that I could give it a new life paid off. Now what to do? Im assuming it is from the shipbuilders, I think it’s made of pewter? And leaded together? It was originally in the Lloyd Triestino offices in Mombasa Kenya then donated to the Seaman’s Mission. It had housings under the hull for lights to light all the port holes. The decks have sagged and the hull has also…. Is this normal? Im assuming the model was made in 1951 or 52 when the ship was built.

Its 63 inches long so should be 1/100 scaleAfrica1.thumb.JPG.9b07d1e6eab048ce53f78fc0c6c9de02.JPG

Any suggestions help and information would be greatly appreciated

Do you have a picture of it?

Tony

as you can see from this pic the decks have sagged a lot and they had used some sort of simulated wood paper to cover the decks. Im wondering if i could do a plank deck with wood strips? any  Idea as to what kind of metal its made of? looks like lead? is there a lead alloy that would be this stiff?Africa2.thumb.JPG.51b7a98742341fd1c0fc5509ea6ceee8.JPG

Looks like quite the project, sorry can't help with the metal identification

It probably is made of pewter metal. Thus stuff was popular in the old days, although probably considered environmentally unfriendly nowadays.

I would try to remove the main decks and rebuild them with wood. A good quality plywood glued with some epoxy (2 components) would likely work with the original model.

This is going to be a labor of Love but obviously, you love that ship so it should be very fulfilling.

Keep a Repair-log and publish it in this thread.

Thanks

Yves

I agree with Yves.  The deck would have been wood sheathed because of the accommodation below, so removing the existing deck and replacing with wood, narrow planked of course, would seem to be the way to go. 

You've also got some detailed work to do on the cargo gear and that should be interesting. 

I hope you'll keep a log going here.  I'd like to see how you get on (and maybe pinch a few ideas from you for my own build!)

Good luck,

Fred.

Hi Ross, Now that you have the model it would be good to get hold of the drawings of the ship, also as many photographs of her as possible to help with the details that you need to restore.

This site looks to have some nice photographs as well

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Looks like she is in need of some serious TLC, a little clean up and repair.:piratetongueor4: can you post some more pictures showing the hull? Unfortunately pewter stretches under its own weight, you will need to cut the decking away a section at a time and add bracing when replacing the decking with wood. Not knowing the alloy will be a challenge and using a hot knife may be the best alternative to cut away the sagging deck. Cut close to the hull joints without damaging the hull and then sand up to the hull with a small course drum sander. This can be a great fun project to restore. Too bad we do not live closer together.

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the input, Im home at the moment and the model is aboard the cargo ship that i work on.... in the Indian Ocean. Will be going back aboard in 3 weeks. Im looking at wood strips for the decking and thinking  1/32 thick x 1/8 wide strips?? and would the boxwood have the finest grain?

Thanks for the help

Ross

Ross I should think that boxwood would be fine, will you be applying it over a plywood substructure?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

likely,  the lack of deck beam framing accounts for a lot of the sagging.   would make for an interesting restoration project.   at least you have all the parts ;)     a log on her would be splendid!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch