HMS Bounty by husky1943 - Revell - PLASTIC - 2nd attempt

Howdy all,

Okay, you might have noticed that I named this "2nd attempt" at the HMS Bounty.  Well, that is kind of misleading, but I had originally been building the HMS Beagle.  Now, anyone who deals with these boats realizes that the Beagle by Revell is nothing more than the Bounty with cheap modifications (or is it the other way around.  I'm not sure). Anyhoo, I was building it and was really enjoying the fact that I could modify it quite a bit and add details.  I mean I was making my own eyebolts.  That was the first time that I had made my own ratlines.  I even "planked" a section of the prow with cut styrene strips.  Well, guess what?  It fell off the shelf and suffered some serious mangling.  My wife asked me if I could fix it, but I just don't see it as worth it.  So....

Resized_20170315_182439.jpeg

Resized_20170315_182502 (1).jpeg

Resized_20170315_182517.jpeg

Resized_20170315_182529.jpeg

Resized_20170315_182537.jpeg

I have decided to build the HMS Bounty. It was a good deal, and I couldn't find the Beagle that was a good deal anyway.  (Seriously, eBay.  I realize that you treasure some items, but come on!  At least make them affordable.) Anyhoo, I have already started building on it, and so far, I have made some modifications such as replacing the belaying pin (racks?)  on the sides, and I drilled out and replaced the bowsprit that was hopelessly warped.  So far, so good.  Right now I am thinking whether I should copper the bottom or not. I got duct tape that I could paint, if needed.  Thoughts???

Ciao for now

Resized_20170315_182710.jpeg

Resized_20170315_182736.jpeg

Resized_20170315_182759.jpeg

Hi husky i will be following along purely because I am fascinated with what can be done with plastic even tho I have no knowledge of how to build plastic but I am keen to see your progress,

what would you say the secret to plastic is?

is it the painting? glueing ?adding more detail above and beyond the kit? 

Howdy Steve,

Thank you so much for your attention and compliments.  There are two secrets to plastic; 1) IT'S CHEAP.  These guys who work with wood are true artisans who really have a talent granted by God Almighty.  I do not any such ability, so for I would be wasting money investing in a more expensive wood kit.  The other secret is 2) the expectations for plastic are much lower than a wood kit.  Therefore, any effort at improvement can truly be appreciated.  I work in plastic because I can afford it, it's forgiving, and yes, I think that plastic grants me a lot of leeway to use all kinds of different materials to finish my model.  Then, all I have to do is paint over it.  Again, thanks for the look Steve.  

Ciao for now

Too bad about the first one, this one should go easier for you

My heart goes out to you on the damage to your 1st ship. I'm going to tag along on this build of yours. So far, I too have purchased and worked on only plastic model ships up until now. I picked up an old Scientific wooden kit of the Bluenose and I've turned my attention to finishing her before I return to my Constitution by Revell. Working with wood literally has a different 'feel', and in some ways, is more forgiving than plastic but, like you mentioned, wooden kits certainly are pricier. I've got my mind set on purchasing an entry level wooden kit once I improve on some of my skills. With that, I wish you easier success on your Bounty! I see you're using wood on masts, bowsprit for extra strength - I'm planning on doing the same on my Connie.

Robert O

Hey Huskey,

This kit has a special place in my heart, as it was the first model ship kit I owned, many, many years ago.

You might find the following a little inspirational, and hopefully not discouraging..

jtilley's Bounty

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Howdy Don, Robert and Gregory.  Thank you all for the kind words and inspiration.  Don, it was a shame that it fell, but it gave me the opportunity to have another crack at it!  Robert, I look forward to your Constitution.  I heard that Revell is releasing (re-releasing) the USS United States.  Have you heard that?  I wonder if it will be a completely new and accurate one.  That would be neat!  Gregory, glad that I could inspire that special place in your heart.  I plan on simply enjoying this one.  No stress.  I have seen that one, I think, and it is really a spectacular build.  Plastic has it's place.

Ciao for now 

Howdy all,

Well, I pulled the trigger and decided to sand down the board lines, so I will be making it a copper bottom.  Copper tape for stained glass windows should do the trick.  And I think that I learned that from this website, I believe.  However, had to get the deck squared away first. 

I really disliked the wheel.  It fit terribly, and the instructions called for a very cheap representation of the steering gear.  So, I made some eyebolts, got me some blocks and redid it better.  Thoughts?

Further, I decided that the aft rack of belaying pins would have to be improved.  I mean, they were molded in, and they looked terrible and were completely non-functional.  So, I cut them off entirely, and rebuilt them.  I think that they look better, and now I can secure ropes to them.

Ciao for now 

Resized_20170318_161621.jpeg

Resized_20170319_075646.jpeg

Resized_20170319_111737.jpeg

Resized_20170319_135239.jpeg

Howdy all,

Just wanted to make the launch a little more detailed.  I still need to afix a rudder.  I just used styrene strips and put some ribs in.  The center piece of wood was my first idea to put a wooden lower deck/floor, but it didnt' work out too well.  So, I just added the plastic ribs and good to go.  Oh, I will also be adding some eyebolts; one on the fore, and two aft.  

Ciao for now

Resized_20170323_213625.jpeg

Resized_20170323_211719.jpeg

Resized_20170323_205404.jpeg

Howdy everyone,

Well, I just learned something else on the website.  Someone (and I wish that I could remember who, but hat tip to them) suggested doing the ratlines after all other rigging has been done.  I say right now - Genius!!!!  I owe that man or woman a beer (or suitable drink of their choosing).

Ciao for now

This was my second-ever ship build; I built it more-or-less out of the box and learned a lot; it still sits on a shelf in my office. I agree that a kit like this can be a really good learning experience and a nice platform for experimentation and improvement. I didn't change the hull much, but did add better rigging after some study. Good luck with your project, I'll be interested to see what you do with it.

Howdy Eric,

Thanks for the support and looking at my humble attempt at making plastic better.  I had mine in my office, when the vacuum caused a door to slam real hard and actually made a frame fall off the wall, which then knocked the Beagle onto the floor....

However, I did want to show what the life boat looks like now that she is finished and in place.   I know the coiled ropes look a little cheesy, but I like them, so they stay.  Then I did some smaller ropes fore and aft and that's it.  She's good

Resized_20170325_161555_001.jpeg

Resized_20170326_071445.jpeg

Howdy all,

Well, I did decide to copper the bottom.  First, I went to the LHS and got some nice Vallejo blue and yellow.  I never prime (something that I really need to start doing) so it took 6 coats to get the color somewhat uniform.  After the LHS, I headed over to Hobby Lobby and bought some of the copper tape that stained-glass window folks use.  And, it went on like a dream.  Now, I tried to make it look accurate, but I mostly used strips and then scored it with a tweezers (made the size the same, and did the job twice as fast.  I used strips because I didn't want to cut each individual plate. I like the effect. 

Ciao for now

Resized_20170402_152405.jpeg

Resized_20170402_164537.jpeg

Resized_20170402_190836.jpeg

Howdy all,

I had noticed this before, but the rudder and the hull were solid plastic.   The more I looked at it, the more it bothered me.  So, I took a drill and drilled all the holes between the hull and the rudder, and then cleaned it out with an Xacto knife.  Small detail, but I think it looks much nicer than just painting it black, and creating an "illusion" on the gap.  Anyway, OCD won the day, and I feel better now.  Plus, thanks to Gregory for turning me on to JTilley's Bounty (which is a masterpiece, BTW), I will try his copper sheathing layout on the opposite side of the boat.  Lord God, please grant me the patience......:rolleyes:

Ciao for now

Resized_20170404_161805.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy all,

Finally, got the boat halves welded together, and the aft finished up.  Plus, I had to do quite a bit of touch up painting since I'm about as delicate as a steam shovel!  I really like the coppering on the bottom.  I think it adds a lot of "wow, that's different."  Added some chains to the rudder.  Not sure how accurate, but they look nice - so good enough.  The mount is just temporary.  The clay grips the model, but allows me the ability to manipulate the boat if I need to get at a weird angle.  The eyebolts were a bear to make and install, but I think, worth the time and effort.  I now have to start working on the guns.  Four deck guns that I have to detail out.  What do you call the tools that a Sailor used to load (like the worm, a rammer and a sponge)?  What would be the nomenclature for a set of those?  Anyway, updates will be slower and slower with summer coming.  I have some acres in the country, and that means cleaning, shooting guns, mushroom hunting, camping.  Plus, the beach is going to be calling our name here in a bit.  Got to get our tan on!

Ciao for now

Resized_20170423_185137.jpeg

Resized_20170423_185148.jpeg

Resized_20170423_185205.jpeg