Bluenose II by Bulwark - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:75

Need some advice. Is this bow looking okay? If not, any recommendations to fix it?

image.thumb.jpg.246fc9d62f48a45b9adf0284e0f93f5d.jpg

That was the hardest thing i had to do... drill through the prow.

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

In Progress: 1:60 Red Dragon (Artesania Latina)

In Progress: 1:75 Bluenose II (Artesania Latina)

Completed: 1:40 Scale 1937 Sakkonet Daysailer

For what it is worth , this is what mine looks like at the moment.  The last photo shows it with the 5mm dowel sticking through.

I would think that you may need a bit of filler around you bowsprit once you have the bowsprit positioned.  You might want to paint before installing bowsprit in which case maybe you can temporarily  fit the dowel, do the filling and sanding, then paint and finally move on to installing the prepared bowsprit?

IMG_1136.jpg.ac2ea2c392268caaa984c75c331620bf.jpgIMG_1135.jpg.560796c502b1e9d3ceaabb94ac56e3c4.jpgIMG_1137.jpg.10992cbdc405d2c1a45c50463b4722c8.jpgIMG_1138.jpg.ff8fa7fb89a3c3d33bd1577c6d4a34c0.jpg

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

The hole for the bowsprit looks too high. The bowsprit sits down almost on the deck and although I can't see the deck in your pictures, I would assume that the hawse hole you've drilled on the side is down at the deck level. Picture below of mine at this point. You may want to cut a wedge-shaped piece to fill the existing hole and cut a new hole below it.

Cheers -

John

bn2_bow.jpg

Thank you thank thank you! Yes, I thought that might be the issue. Luckily at this point patching up the damage will be interesting and doable.

It's funny how after you do something a few times you wish you could go back and redo things. Alas for the first time, but clumsy as I've been I'm picking up lots of little techniques. Such as getting the hang of drilling holes in small bits of brass. 

My chain plates are also too high, but fixing them would be dispiriting at this point.

I've also drawn the water line. I think it's right. I'm about to start painting... *sweats!!* This can make or break a model. I have an art background so you'd think I might be ready, but no. Going to fuss over the waterline until I am confident.

Pic... one pic.

DSC_0188.thumb.JPG.c03887f35295c554bb140a4e4329dbdd.JPG

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

Fixed the prow. Placed a small block of wood in the hole then sanded it (superglue was used to fix the block in place).

looks way better.

image.thumb.jpg.b6f08ced94ec9bff93c3ebb23ea3a7ee.jpg

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

image.thumb.jpg.820a339d4d8b53f8d21f7cf848ad1790.jpgThe vinyl tape took off some paint. Not sure if it's the paint or the tape. So i am going to seal any paint that will require tape before i use it. I have this polycrylic finish that might keep the paint from coming off. Here's hoping. Or do you guys and gals think i ought to use a different type of paint like latex interior? Instead of acrylic paint. It wasn't the brand either. I used a decent brand of paint as a test and the vinyl tape took it up.

Here is the boat with the white and red (which is patched up by a small brush and ruins the white line a bit):

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

It looked like you had the tape tight to the hull.  I'm surprised you had some bleed-through. On advice from CDW on the "What Have You Received Today" forum I bought a few rolls of Washi Paper masking tape on EBay that was inexpensive. According to CDW it has the same qualities as Tamiya masking tape. I hope it works.  Not a huge loss of money it it doesn't.  However I'll be following the rest of your paint job closely to get ideas / advice for my upcoming paint job.  Looking good Bulwark.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks, Derek. I'm getting super perfectionist on this and I likely need to ease up a bit. I'll try not burnishing the tape as much... i tried regular masking tape but even tight it bledca bit. But i did manage to pick decent colors.

the blue is pretty good. Called Ink Spot by Folk Art. Went cheapish on paint. But liked the colors. Sealed with polyacrylic finish, clear matte, by Minwax. All at Wally World. The fine sh helped the red look a lot nicer, too. 

Here is another in progress shot. The rails are, of course, being hit with lots of spill over... but will be painted white and blue. The chainplates will be done last but prior to the finsh.

image.thumb.jpg.efe0cb74207e48e8be2baff584b8b836.jpg

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

I think this is as good as i can do right now. If i keep trying to fix every line and edge and bleed i might just make things worse. :huh:

image.thumb.jpg.af8d7036f5fb7c2b9d73d689f040daaa.jpg

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

Well I broke a wire bit #75 while using a pin vise to put a hole into a brass strip... and the broken end drove into my fingernail. Ow. Rule #832 in building ship models: never put your sensitive digits in harm's way if you have pliers to do the job. #832a: never put your digits in harm's way even if you don't have pliers. I have a perfectly round 1/32" hole in the nail of my index finger. I'd put up a pic, but it's too painful too look at. Anyway, getting the bowsprit going. The rigging part is beginning! But still need to do the masts. 

I got the Jenson Bluenose II book in. It is worth buying even if you aren't doing the model. Very nice art book, and great information on the fishing schooner trade. Which might sound dull, but it's really not. Of course I'm an infophile.

Onward with le bateau! Ow, hurts to type...lol.

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

I do a lot of cooking and have had my share of finger cuts from very sharp knives.  Because of that, I ended up buying a pair of cut proof gloves.  I have since moved them into the dry dock after a nasty cut with my hobby knife, and will put one on now if I know my hand is going to be close to the blade, trying to predict what 'could' happen.  Also, since snapping a couple of blades off, I now wear safety glasses when I'm working.  I guess accidents are always inevitable but you should always think about what 'could' happen.  Safety first.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

IMG_0323.thumb.JPG.d8bd534acc5c9bb17d18a14cc2c5fbb8.JPGMaking mast hoops. Shaving different wood than pine becuase my microplaner is nearly impossible to get wide shavings with. Too much force needed even with very small thicknesses. Trying boxwood and balsa. Boxwood seems to work well.

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

This task is easier said than done. :default_wallbash:Very hard to get the right thickness of shaving from the boxwood. But, I'm close to getting the hoops I need.

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some mast detail before i begin rigging. I've just started the shrouds. Messed up the seving; it was loose instead of tight. Oops.

image.thumb.jpg.3c9542f3041619504c98c66227d9525e.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.3547a1ab0f7f2929864868df99e6011d.jpg

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

Okay, I haven't abandoned this log. Just been busy! :D 

Started the shrouds. And it looks like I messed up and put them on the wrong deadeyes!!

easy enough to fix since I didn't tie them off.

DSC_0067.thumb.JPG.36363f0b8d5fde7968e081561a01d997.JPGDSC_0066.thumb.JPG.b8842d931a60bce8a561584720bc07a8.JPG

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting some momentum back. About to start the ratlines. Tying off the lanyards was tricky. I never really figured out that simple knot. lol. I'll never be a sailor.DSC_0068.thumb.JPG.cb9546668caca766cb95a826ac9bf2ca.JPGDSC_0069.thumb.JPG.01422bcd27e7dd2ea03770888e49bc78.JPG

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

• 1 month later...

Alright, been a bit busy but managed to get more rigging done. Standing rigging done but for the fore and main backstays. Did the foreboom running rigging and man oh man... going to have to figure out a good way to run thread through those blocks. Thinking of doing the blocks with the thread THEN attaching the blocks to the mast/boom/whathaveyou.

Made the foreboom too short for some reason. Had to remake it. Felt good getting back to that sort of thing. I like rigging in a way. Tying ratlines and siezing eyelets is a pain, but the final product makes it worth the effort. The boat is coming around okay. It's definitely not 'good' or 'clean' but it's mine and I'll display it happily for people to look at. A friend of mine in Florida came to visit and the details on the ship blew her away. It's worth the time just for the reaction of people who have never really seen a 1/75th scale ship model up close!DSC_0079.thumb.JPG.d63391110e9f10a4ac7c9c3b623cf6b0.JPG

DSC_0078.JPG

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

• 3 months later...

Okay, bit of a hiatus, but I got kinda stuck and life happened as well. I lack the anchor and the nameplate on the ship, but here she is right now!

I need to find a saw so I can cut these little boards to make the display stand.

DSC_0121.thumb.JPG.ee34d2272f5f1f5874ebb1c8084c1827.JPG

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)