Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch schooner

Thanks so much Thomas. While I've done some interior work before, this is the first time that I'll try to do almost all of it. I'm working on the stern cabin now and it really is interesting and a lot of fun.

Bob

I was in the south of France for 2 1/2 weeks and missed a lot!

The only thing that i not will read is that you damaged the ship.

Better to read that you fixed the damage😊

Now i can read again with joy.....

Wonderful job Bob!

Sjors

Hi Bob -- It's in a build like this that your skills in joinery come to bear.  Those joints look nice and tight -- and if they didn't come out right the first time, or third time, then who's to know.  This is genuine ship-modelling, and I have to admire it!!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Work on the interior of the stern cabin is now essentially complete. All of the work was done with boxwood strip and sheet and was finished with Wipe-on Poly. In order, the work done was as follows:

1) Planking of the interior of the stern frames;

2) Fitting and mounting of the facing of the bench;

3) Making up and mounting the cabinetry described in the plans as "lockers with bed places";

4) Making and mounting the bench top;

5) Making and mounting the forward partition for the cabin, and the upper deck beam to which it is attached (the doors are made, but not yet mounted);

6) fitting and mounting the interior wall planking to the level of the upper deck beams.

The work entailed a great deal of fitting and adjusting to get a proper fit of the various interconnected pieces, but was really an enjoyable and fun part of the build -- probably my favorite part to date.

Bob 

fullsizeoutput_6f8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6fb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6fa.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6fe.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ff.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_701.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_702.jpeg

Lovely work, Bob.  The joinery is excellent.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks so much Dave, Rony, Mark and the "likes". 

I'm sure that I'm not alone in believing that you work much better at things that you enjoy doing. The stuff I'm doing now is certainly in that category.

Bob

Bob:

The cabin is wonderful. That is a great fit in a very complex space. I like how light the trim work is. Good attention to scale.

Russ

Thanks so much Michael and Russ for the nice comments and thanks also to the "likes".

Russ, The Hahn drawings provide only a plan view schematic of the cabin, with no detail of the cabinetry. I estimated the height from a couple of photos in the Hahn book and then tried to create a simple, but believable, appearance with the trim. I'm glad that you like the way it came out.

Bob

really sweet progress Bob.......nicely done on the furnishings :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Moving forward on the aft lower deck, I've now completed the next set of partitions. These are the the second of the three transverse portions (and it's attached upper deck beam) and two fore and aft partitions which create what the plans refer to as the captain's bed place and the mate's cabin. I also did the interior hull planking in this area.

All of the partitions were made up from boxwood strip, as was the hull planking. The doors were made from boxwood strip, with cut off  round head brass pins for handles and blackened brass hinges from a PE set in my stash. As always, everything was finished with Wipe-on Poly.

My next work will be to finish the work on the aft lower deck and to add the remaining deck beams for the upper deck above the lower deck area.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_707.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_706.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_705.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_704.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_703.jpeg

P6230149.JPG

now....that is just too cool Bob!   will the spar deck drop down to that level {what am I saying......of course it will........it's a Schooner!}  that's a prominent feature of these vessels ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks so much Denis, Robert and the "likes".

Denis, there are actually four different levels of decking on this small vessel. Makes for a lot of interesting work.

Robert, my wife often wonders why I don't do something useful, like make something "real". :D

Bob

Outstanding work Bob. It's hard to keep up with your pace!!

Thanks so much Don, Thomas and the "likes". Hey guys, it's really not so quick -- just an old retired guy with plenty of time doing something he really enjoys. What can be better than that. :):):)

Bob

Looks wonderful Bob, really nice joinery, there must be quite a few complicated angles to deal with.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks so much Jason. As is often the case, there is a lot of sanding and fitting, more sanding and fitting, and then some more sanding and fitting. That's what makes it fun. isn't it? :D

Bob

Hi Bob,

You've been busy while I was away. As usual some great workmanship and it
was a pleasure catching up on your log.
I agree making parts multiple times and the continuous sanding, test fitting and
sanding again is truly one of the pleasures.
Keep up the good work!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

Moving forward on the aft lower deck, I've added the last transverse partition, the inner hull planking in that section, the ladder to the hold from the lower deck and the beginning of the upper deck beams. 

The partition and the hull planking were done exactly like the previous ones and need no further description.

The ladder was made from boxwood strip and fitted to the curvature of the hold planking. It looks a little strange, but I'm not aware of any alternative.

The deck beams are laser cut boxwood pieces that I cut to fit each location. It was certainly a timesaver to have all of the roundup precut and consistent through the beams.

I'm also attaching a photo of the doors mounted at the rear cabin, which I had neglected to attach with my previous update.

Bob 

fullsizeoutput_708.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_709.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_70b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_70c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_70d.jpeg