Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch schooner

Thanks so much Jon, Thomas, Denis and the "likes".

Jon, I look forward to watching you work on Halifax. One word of caution: the accuracy of the rigging may be somewhat suspect. Hahn virtually admits this in his book. I've decided to go with what he shows.

Thomas, I don't know about a jewel, but I'm certainly enjoying the build.

Same to you Denis, and I hope that you didn't overeat the way I did.

Bob

hope it didn't spoil you evening.   the admiral gave me a good tip.....drink milk.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bob:  Check out Chuck's practicum for building and rigging "Sultana" over at the Model Expo site.  Sultana was smaller than Halifax, but rigged similarly. mIt's under "instructions & Parts List".  http://modelexpo-online.com/model-shipways-sultana-solid-hull-1-64-scale

Before moving on with the standing rigging, I made the two topmasts and mounted them. The masts were made from dowels with the lower ends filed flat, strip wood pieces added to build up a flat square and a portion filed to an eight sided section. The upper ends were tapered, a shoulder cut in and sheaves drilled in. Fids were run through the square lower section.

I then did the mainstay, the main topmast stay, the fore topmast stay, the jib stay and the jibboom horses.

The two mainmast stays run through a double block on the foremast cap and then down through tackles to eyebolts on the deck at the mast. The tackles were not tied off at this time.

The fore topmast stay is seized to the mast at it's top and to the jibboom at it's bottom.

The jib stay runs from the head of the foremast, through a traveler on the jibboom , then through a sheave on the jibboom, and ends in a tackle attached to an eyebolt on the bowsprit cap. That tackle won't be tied off until later. The traveler was made from a piece of wire, a brass shackle from my stock, and a Syren hook.

The horses were made by doing small knots in a piece of line that was then seized to the jibboom end and to eyebolts at the cap.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_7ab.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7b0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7b1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7af.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7b2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7b4.jpeg

really nice work Bob  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Have to echo what Popeye said. Really like her lines and a fantastic job on the rigging so far.

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

Really nice work of the ropes and lines bob,  you got them perfectly tentioned  - a real acheivemnt I think.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood
Spilling Mastakes

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hey Bob, She looks great. I finally got my Halifax kit today and if it comes out half as nice as yours I would be thrilled. I got the full kit with cut frames in pear. It looks like a really nice kit.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Great work Bob. So clean and precise. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

The standing rigging has now been completed except for the ratlines (leave the best for last :D). This last phase included tying off the shroud lanyards, adding the sheer poles and futtock staves to the shrouds, doing the topmast shrouds and futtock shrouds, and doing the topmast backstays.

The topmast shrouds are shown as running to single holed fittings of some sort, which I represented with commercial wooden bullseyes. The futtock shrouds were tied to the futtock staves and the shrouds

The topmast backstays are shown as running backstays and end in tackles hooked to eyebolts at the deck. I have not tied off the tackles permanently at this point since I'm certain that in my clumsy fashion I will hit them numerous times in the process of tying the ratline knots.

On to the ratlines!

Bob

fullsizeoutput_7b5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7b6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7b8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7b9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7ba.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7bb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7bd.jpeg

Awesome work Bob !,

That "Halifax of yours is a very nicely built model.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Really tidy work bob  everything in its place and looking like the real thing.

You should do a Victory  build bob,    you would do a Stunning job of one, Im sure  not just myself agree.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks so much OC and the "likes".

As far as a next build, I really don't know what I'm going to do. I made a resolution before starting Halifax to try and stay with larger scale builds of smaller vessels. Age (78) and diminishing physical skills drove this decision. I'm not sure what builds that I want to do will fit that description. On the other hand, I'm really intrigued by the Marisstella Barque Stefano, which is exactly the opposite of my resolution. We'll have to see, when the time comes to make a decision. OC, I built a Victory many years ago and have no interest in doing another.

Bob