Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch schooner

Ratlines completed. The good news: ratlines are not really that hard to do once you get in the rhythm of tying clove hitches; I only have to do them about once a year; Halifax has ratlines only on it's lower shrouds and has only three shrouds per side on each of it's two masts, thereby cutting down the number of knots to be tied. The bad news: doing ratlines is undoubtedly the most tedious, boring and annoying task on any build.

Having said all that, they are now done and attention can be turned to the spars and running rigging.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_7be.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7bf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7c0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7c1.jpeg

Hi Bob,

Embrace the Ratlines mate, don't arf make you appreciate the rest of the boat, for not liking them you made a awful good job on them.

Good luck with the running rigging, no doubt you'll do your usual superb job.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

nicely done Bob.......very clean and neat  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks so much Zappto, Michael, Mobbsie, Denis and Grant for the generous comments and thanks also to the "likes. I was just kidding guys, I really love to do ratlines. :D ^_^

Zappto, the standing rigging is all black rope from Syren.

Bob

I started off the week by making the gaff and two yards for the foremast. I then mounted and rigged the gaff and did the rigging for the headsails.

The gaff was made from a dowel, tapered and shaped at both ends. Cleats were added, made from strip wood. The jaws were cut from strip and shaped to fit the mast .The parrel is made from beads strung on a piece of wire and glued into holes in the jaws after mounting (not correct, but a good simulation and the best I can do at this point). None of the gaff rigging is finally tensioned or permanently tied off at this time. 

The plans show rigging for a forestay sail and a jib, and reflect the halyards and downhauls, and those are what I've done. As with the gaff rigging, these lines are not finally tensioned or permanently tied off.

Next up will be mounting and rigging the two foremast yards.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_7c2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7c6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7c7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7c8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7c3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7c4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7c5.jpeg

Lovely work bob  - really high standard.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Bob,

Your work and posts are encouraging me to get back at it. I have not been in the shipyard for a few weeks due to some health issues but I think I will push myself a little bit and get back at it.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

rigging looks Awesome........nicely done at the bow  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks so much Al, Denis and the "likes.

Al, ironically, I have had some issues that have kept me from playing golf and forced me to work more on my shipbuilding. If it's not bad for you, push yourself a little. I've found that the modeling has kept me from getting even crazier than usual.:P

Bob

4 hours ago, rafine said:

Thanks so much Al, Denis and the "likes.

Al, ironically, I have had some issues that have kept me from playing golf and forced me to work more on my shipbuilding. If it's not bad for you, push yourself a little. I've found that the modeling has kept me from getting even crazier than usual.:P

Bob

Bob, I will for sure take your advice. It's something I love and it keeps my mind off  the pain though that's not too bad right now. I have that Halifax kit calling my name but she has to wait in line just a while longer.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

I've completed, mounted, and partially rigged the fore lower and topmast yards. 

The lower yard does not have a sail (at least as shown on the plan) and was given foot ropes, blocks for the topsail sheets, blocks for the lifts, a truss and a sling. The sling contains two bullseyes and a lanyard. The topmast yard has foot ropes, lifts, a parrel, a halyard and topsail clew blocks. The parrel was made using beads and trucks shaped from 1/32" boxwood strip. To shape the trucks, I lightly glued six pieces of strip in a stack, shaped them with files, drilled two holes, and then separated them with alcohol.

After mounting the yards on their mast pins, I partially completed their rigging. I tied off the truss, sling and parrel and then I did the lifts and the topsail halyard, clews and sheets and bowlines. I didn't finish these lines because, in my haphazard fashion, I had run out of needed blocks, which are now on the way to me. I also didn't do the braces for either yard, because I believe them to be best added later.

I'm now working on the main gaff and boom, while waiting for the delivery.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_7c9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7ca.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7cb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7cc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7cd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7ce.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7cf.jpeg

Fine work Bob, those trucks really shine(look good)

Excellent rigging job Bob,  :)

one day we might perhaps also see sails ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Beautiful work on those yards, Bob. May I ask how you got such nice curves on the footropes? I am struggling with them on my current build now.

Thanks so much Don, Nils, Tom and the "likes". Always appreciated.

Nils, I'm not a fan of sails and there definitely won't be any on Halifax.

Tom, the simple answer is that I cheat. The foot ropes are made from wire. The stirrups are done with rope. I know of many who do it the other way round, but I have found that I can control shape and durability best this way.

Bob

Excellent work - such attention to detail.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I get really thin wire like that from appliance cord....never though of using it for that Bob.......great idea ;)    well done on the rigging!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: