3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Wow.... almost missed you and your SoS, Anton.   Long time no see. 

Thanks mate haha yeah it's been awhile. Been a very crazy couple years with work, house moves and a divorce. But in a better place now where I can relax and enjoy my hobbies again :) 

3 hours ago, itschnatt said:

Was looking at some photos of a build I'm currently doing and entered through the rabbit hole of logs during my search and came across this one.  Thoroughly enjoying watching your build! Gives me inspiration to log the work I've done so far on a much more novice model.  Keep up the great work!

Thank you for the kind words. You should definitely start a log. Experience doesn't matt r as long as you enjoy what you're doing, plus encourages other newbies to start. Before your know it you'll have a few builds under your belt and experience will come. 

2 hours ago, ken3335 said:

Hi Anton, I was browsing and came across your build log, I'm interested, and will certainly be following. It looks good and is off to a very rapid start, it looks like we have a race on. A beer for the winner.

Ken

Haha thanks Ken, no race just a lot of spare time thus break :) 

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

Thanks BE haha yeah she's a complex build of a very complex ship. I told myself when I picked the kit up I'd just build it straight from the box but... haha I just can't help myself. 

This is the biggest model regarding gun ports I've ever built so yes haha daunting but apart from repetition it's come along easy enough. Just take time with measuring up the ports before cutting. As Sjors mentioned the port side was basically covered in horizontal lines and positions of the gun ports about 5 times until I was completely satisfied. Difficult when the plans you have to work with aren't correct, well for the period I have chosen. Even placement of the wales weren't correctly marked on the plans but once they were on, the ports were so much easier to line up :) 

I've actually just finished lining the starboard ports again with the lime scrap planks which I'll file down to the needed width and then paint. Ive also done a few more structural modifications today. The first part was building up the fore peak. Sergal provides a single piece which runs from the fore peak deck and continues into the beakhead. It's also suggested to plank the entire beakhead with a couple gratings... while there isn't any evidence of the Sovereign to suggest this isn't the case, going from other vessels of the early 17th century and later for that matter, I believe this would have been unlikely. So I've built up the fore peak which will be planked and the beakhead deck will sit a step lower and I'll use a mixture of gratings and open boards similar to that of the Vasa and the Batavia replica. The Duyfken replica is built in this same fashion also :) though more on that when I get to it haha. Also reshaped the front edge of the forecastle deck to show a slight curve to center. Sergals deck showed a prominent step curving of the edges but extending quite a bit forward. From the Van der Velde sketch there is a curve but to the whole face of the bulkhead and almost appears flat.

The transom shape has has also been reshaped, the sergal transom has one large sweeping curve followed by a smaller 'notch' at the top. From all the paintings, sketches and contemporary and professional models I've looked at I've found no evidence of this so the transom has been reshaped to only one large sweeping curve. I can finally plank this! Haha

The bulwark on the waist has also been thickened- sergal suggested once double planked to trim the frame stubs and that was it, however this part of the hull would have and is thicker on other ships so I have used some 3mm balsa sheet to fill and I'll plank the inside also. This should leave me with an acceptable thickness. Finally with the bulwarks built up I used stringers on the existing false deck to built up the level of the too low waist. New plywood sheet was cut and has been fixed onto these, so the I also have a nice, flat and correct height deck for the waist :)  

IMG_3631.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3630.JPG

Anton T

Current build

Very nice job on the new deck. Those lined gunports look great.  Good work. 

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks Scott, I'm hoping for the next model to perhaps frame up the ports before planking. Though to do that I'd probably want to have a single layer planking but that's in the future. 

Anton T

Current build

Starboard ports, cleaned up and painted now. Still waiting for my deliver of planks to arrive from Sydney so he second planking is on hold for now. Plenty to carry on with in the meantime though. I'll next plank up the transom and cut the four gun ports there also. Having it all ready when my planks arrive. It's funny, I can order something from Europe or the US and it'll be here within a week but anything from Melbourne or Sydney... hahaha it's a big country but

IMG_3634.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

Anton T

Current build

Transom has now been planked with its initial planking, pins still in place as the glue dries but look at that ***! Haha I love that tumblehome shape! The only thing that would make me love this ship more is if it was Dutch! Alas 😂 

Been watching the Dutch movie ' Michiel de Ruyter' (Admiral is the title for the English subtitled version). I may have to make use of my 'De Zeven Provinciën' plans after Sovereign is completed. Though another large vessel straight away may have to wait a touch, though only 80 guns and not 102 guns she is smaller.... 😂

IMG_3638.JPG

Anton T

Current build

Anton,

We don't have the money to buy such overwelming  gold vessel....😅

Did you like the movie?

Well done of what you re doing.

Sjors, 

Anton, great work so far on your ship! I like to that you are taking the time to research and get to know your ship's history. I always find that the more I know about a ship the more I care about how I present her which drives me to do a better job. I will be sure to follow along as I am looking forward to seeing how she progresses.

I too have recently watched that movie and found it very well done and really interesting. :)

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Let's hope your Admiral doesn't catch you staring at that ships behind!!! Great job on her.  Looking real slick.:)

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

Thanks everyone and hi Hans!

The movie was great, surprised that there hasn't been one earlier about that those battles but thanks to the Dutch finally haha. 

Hans my Leeuwin is 90% complete, long story she's on display but need to find the push to finish her. It was a hard year last year with a relationship associated with the ship so enthusiasm to finish her has faltered a little. Long story. I will finish her soon I hope, and she'll be presented to the foundation once complete. 

EJ I find the research as much and sometimes more rewarding than the building of the model itself sometimes! Haha 

Scott she catches me all the time.... 😂😂

Anton T

Current build

While I've been quiet for me I've not been idle. Cutting up the template for the new upper stern piece. Using the small piece supplied by sergal as a guide to the height as suggested I traced out the stern via the planking and begun sketching the stern from Leys engraving across. Marrying up with the position of the wales on the hull - the floors of the galleries are built around these - for the stern lights (windows) the carvings fit quite nicely. The only difference was to extend the height by possibly 5mm so I left 10mm and will trim down to correct height later. Also because I changed the shape of the transom to suit the ley and Van der Velde sketch I increased the lower part of the stern by 4mm. The ley painting isn't a plan but more than likely the most accurate depiction of the Sovereign's stern.  I think my stern while not spot on to ley... pretty damn close and the carvings will fit nicely in proportion :) 

IMG_3584.PNG

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

Anton T

Current build

Now from what I can tell, sergal had it part right. The lower part of the stern - the continuation of the galleries so both sets of windows actually sit just a touch further aft, not as prominent as the sergal kit but further out than just the flat stern piece. On the ley painting just below the effigy of victory is a small strip of 'honey comb' detail. This is the same detail as the three turrets on each quarter gallery. 

Anton T

Current build

Hi Anton. I know I speak on behalf of many modellers when I thank you for these posts on enhancing the Sergal kit of SOS. One of the great things about our hobby lies in the capacity to exceed the manufaturers intended potential of these kits. You have done the research and clearly applied that to the Sergal kit. 

Championship stuff.

Grant

Hi Grant, thank you so much. I initially learnt this hobby after watching my father build ships as I was growing up and while learning the basics of planking and rigging etc I saw the limitations which kits provided and his frustrations haha but like me that would never stop him. He was a naval historian after he left the navy so many of his models where scratch built - (if you are to visit the shipwreck gallery and the Fremantle port authority - a few of his models are still on display. The port do rotate models around as they have or at least had a rather large collection.) and those he built from kits, simple modifications like carvings as blocks he would fashion and at most modify layouts to match known sources of the vessel at a particular time. He always said to me, if I'm to do something do it right the first time. Haha well I've still a long way to go to match some of the works of art to be found on this site but I do enjoy pushing my limits. I can't help but compare everything I do to his amazing commissioned builds and the ones still in possession by family and friends. 

What i I also like about this forum is when you have doubts about... right, should I or can I attempt this there is always a lot of guidance on here either through actual contact or just by watching other builders work and ideas. So I hope I can contribute even a little to that base.

i thought I'd actually show the difference with the stern I've made - I've described it enough and it's easy to google both the Leys painting and that of the completed sergal models. So I've placed the provided stern pieces over my stern to show you how much of the hull has changed :) you can see how much the frames have needed to be cut down to suit the new hull shape. That upper stern piece is how the hull was meant to sit flush with the hull, the lower piece shows the outline of where the galleries would have sat if built out of the box. Far too low and possibly a little too low in length.

IMG_3667.JPG

Anton T

Current build

This pic also shows how much lower the stern from sergal sits as compared to my modifications 

IMG_3669.JPG

Anton T

Current build

Done a little planking of the stern piece this arvo. I've used some of the walnut planks which are surplied as the second planking but I won't be using these for the hull. Seeing as the stern will be painted beneath the carving, it was more of an experiment with colour to see if I was right in thinking it would look too dark planked overall in walnut. I've gone for a light maple plank which I'll use to plank the hull which while lighter I think will finish the hull off nicer. Also the walnut planks are 6mm wide so too wide for my scale planks of 5mm. I went for 5mm as with the placement of the wales, 5m planks will fit evenly between them. 

So anyway haha here's the stern planked in anticipation for the hulls second planking. Also for an experiment I've used pencil on the plank edges to simulate the caulking, I normally use a felt tip pen as after sanding the felt pen still leaves a nice clean 'caulking' line. I think with the walnut the pencil is too light and so not defined however I think I'll stick with my tried and tested way of simulating with felt tip pen.

IMG_3670.JPG

Anton T

Current build

I think wth the much higher bulwarks and narrowing of the stern, she easily reflects the standard of the early 17th century and similar to that of the La Couronne, Vasa and Batavia. 

Anton T

Current build

My replacement planks have arrived! Haha a lovely tube of wood :)

I've layed the first few planks above the main wales. I do prefer the colour compared to the walnut provided. Also rather than pencil I've used art liner (black marker) on the edges to simulate the caulking. 

IMG_3692.JPG

IMG_3691.JPG

IMG_3688.JPG

IMG_3694.JPG

IMG_3695.JPG

IMG_3693.JPG

Anton T

Current build

Anton,

Great work, you're build is coming along very nicely. Your research will certainly also pay off as well.

Excellent work on your gun deck openings. I sure wish that I had learned that before - (for my current build) -  too late now. But how to do the openings correctly is now in my memory bank (:-)

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

4 hours ago, Sjors said:

He Anton.

You are using the caulking on the hull planking?

Curious how that looks when it is finished.

Sjors

Hi Sjors,

Its a little prominent on what I've done but once a final sand and clear coat, it will or should come out nice. If you remember my HMS Diana from years ago, I also did the same to her hull. Looked great I thought, though even more subtle on her as I gave her hull sides a wash in yellow. My idea is to have SOTS in a cleanish possible straight after refit look... saying that her sides would have been darker in real life as  they would have coated her in a mixture of Stockholm tar on the hull sides - like Endeavour, Duyfken and Batavia replicas - interestingly the Batavia is almost black now from the weathering and constant applications of tar on her timbers. I don't know how they look after the Batavia compared to Duyfken and Endeavour as we would scrape the hull sides before applying new coats in refit. 

2 hours ago, md1400cs said:

Anton,

Great work, you're build is coming along very nicely. Your research will certainly also pay off as well.

Excellent work on your gun deck openings. I sure wish that I had learned that before - (for my current build) -  too late now. But how to do the openings correctly is now in my memory bank (:-)

Cheers,

Thanks mate, yeah they do add more dimension to the model. To be honest I have to look if sergal even suggest to do it?!? Haha but they were obviously there so I just do it. The first sailing warship I built with these was caldercraft Diana and this is only the second warship I've built since. My Friesland i built and the Vasa were built in the years before I knew of the website so never even thought of including them - though the Friesland being mamoli used the cast metal openings which while needing a hell of a lot of cleanup, saved a lot of work.

Anton T

Current build

Yes the tube off goodness.  When I received mine first thing I did when removed the lid was take a big wiff aahhhhhhhhh, Love that smell. Almost like the smell of a new book.

I will also be interested to see how your caulked hull planks come out. 

Nice job.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Haha so true Scott! My gf had it in the house saying I was wondering what was in it:.. not much from the looks of it haha 

im back at sea now so no progress until I get back for my week off unfortunately. But plenty of time to read up on a few books about the ship. The other problem being up here is I can't help myself from looking up future projects... should I build something from my mountain of plans I have and scratch build or buy another kit! So euromodel Royal William, caldercraft victory, Amatis Vanguard, The large 1/84 Amerigo Vespucci.... bugger hahaha

i have found a Friesland on eBay but $1000.... and it's not a $1000 kit so will pass at that asking price. 

If the Winchelsea from syren happened to be in production I know I would get that over anything else. However much I prefer scratch building it's hard in Perth as we just don't have the suppliers over here. I firmly believe we should become the republic of Western Australia and break away from the hindrance of the east coast hahaha perhaps then more would be available! 

Anton T

Current build

Oh and I forgot to mention Amatis Revenge! Hahaha 

Anton T

Current build

Amati's Revenge is most definitely on my to-do list. O'course, by the time I actually get around to it, I'm sure there'll be another two - five ships to add to the list.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

The kit does look like she'll be a pleasure to build after seeing it develop on Chris page here. It's probably the one I'd pick if I do get another kit after the SOTS. Like when I finished Diana my next model was the ship I was working on the Leeuwin. Even though it was a complete scratch build, it didn't have the large amount of gun ports! Haha so i tend to go from large and complex to something simplier before building another large or complex build. 

Anton T

Current build

Not sure what your selection criteria for ship-building is, Anton ... but for mine, I establish some spurious connection to whichever family member the build is intended. In the case of my next build, it'll be for a sister, who is married to an Englishman ... so the Revenge fits the bill perfectly.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy