Carbatec 16" Variable Speed Scroll Saw

I'm looking for a scroll saw i was looking at Excalibur scroll saw but read somewhere that Carbatec bought Excalibur dont know if this is true or not has anyone in Austraila got the Carbatec 16" Variable Speed Scroll Saw is there any problems with it? Its about $999.00 cost alot I know but im sick of paying money for tools that are cheat tools that are **** and I dont mind paying more. So if anyone knows of any problems with this scroll saw please let me know.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hi Eddie,

I have the 21" Excalibur, which I bought from Carbatec several years ago, and have been very happy with it - an excellent machine. The brand name changed a couple of years ago, and seems to have changed again, this time to Carbatec's own brand. I just had a quick check on the Carbatec site and it does look to be pretty much identical, but I don't know if they've changed materials or components at all. By the way, the 21" version is only $100 more than the 16" version and the price is about the same as when bought mine on sale. I'm with you on paying a bit extra for decent quality tools.  I also have the Carbatec 10" bandsaw and it seems to be reasonable quality - not top of the line, but deinitely not junk either.

Hope this helps.

I have had the economy version ($199)of the Carbatec 16 inch scroll saw for about 5 years.It is a good,reliable little unit and does everything I want for ship modelling.It can use pinless blades by using either Hegener or Ryobi pinless blade adaptors.The Ryobi ones cost about $8.50 at Bunnings.

My question would be: What are you really getting for the extra $800?.

Eddie, I purchased the 18" Carbatec scroll saw (Hegener copy) https://www.carbatec.com.au/machinery-and-accessories/scroll-saws/scroll-saws/scroll-saw-18-old-code-ct-ss18v  about 5 years ago and it has proven very reliable with very low vibration.  Mine was the previous version but not much has changed.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Just setting up at beginning?

Is a lot to spend on a machine with limited application in POF.

The up/down action wants to move my work.

Instead, consider:

a 14" bandsaw

with an 1/8" blade and a Carter Stablizer - tight cuts can be scrolled

It is true that the blades have more set, so there is more work for

a drum/spindle sander to do ( tilting table here is mostly useless)

to finish to the line.

as well as a good quality disc sander.

If you get a bandsaw with a 2 HP motor, you have saw mill / resaw

resources that can save wood costs   You will need a thickness sander though.

It is probably more work than it is worth to try to adapt a spindle sander to

replicate a thickness sander = a fence problem.

A first rate like Victory will require a model scale forest at 1:64 / 1:48

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hey howya goin all.

Grant

Thanks mate, the reason I'm going for the 16" one is because I have very limited space would love to get the bigger one.

Terry N

Thanks mate, I watched a vid on the Excalibur 21 scroll saw and I like how easy it was to change the blade and unlike most other scroll saws if you want to cut an angle you have to tilt the table on the Excalibur you tilt the saw not the table that way the timber is always on a level surface which give you more control.

Pat

Thanks mate, will look at it.

Jaager

Thanks mate, that is oneway to think about.

• 3 years later...