Allow me to introduce myself:  Miles Davis, Seminole, Alabama, age 71, sometimes grumpy but not often, and never online.

I found LSS in the early 2000's, purchased his practica for the Armed Virginia Sloop (I took the liberty of naming her "Liberty"), Constitution and Rattlesnake,  I finished the sloop, got through the first three chapters of Constitution, and then the Fair American arrived (kit #5).  Off with the Conny and onto the Fair American.  I finished her some time in the mid-2000's and then my life went all a-hoo.  More work, family deaths and illnesses, multiple surgeries on my dear long-suffering wife, Linda, moving to Huntsville, moving back home, more blah blah.  As Linda puts it, sometimes life interferes with living.

I am now ten days post-lumbar laminectomy surgery but recovering well, although still somewhat weak.  So while bedridden, I started reading (for the third time) Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin novels, and have re-entered the age of sailing ships, and there it was--a re-kindled desire to get on with the Constitution.  I have everything I need, I think, including a ten year old unopened bottle of Wellbond glue, hopefully not hardened.  I say I have everything, but am not sure where everything is, but that will be worked out.  I do have the entire printed practicum in three-ring binders.  I doubt I will ever build the Rattlesnake, but who knows?

When I'm feeling stronger I'll post photos of my completed ships.

I went the the LSS website, but everything seems old, like 2015.  I don't know what happened. I never met Bob but considered him a friend at distance, a fellow Vietnam Vet.  I sent him a note at his old email address but it came back undelivered.  I hope he's OK.

Anyway, glad to join you good people and back to the Constitution!

Miles Davis
Co. "K", Third Battalion, Ninth Marines, 1968-69
Semper Fi Brothers

Hello Miles,

Welcome to MSW.  By all means, when you're ready open a build log, as it will be the best way to get help and also over those "blah" moments.

Semper Fi..  '66-'70   HMHT-301 & HMH-463 (RVN)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Miles:

Welcome to MSW and to the NRG - Mary told me you joined today - she's working on your welcome letter and sending you the current Journal. 

She mentioned you joining because my cousin toured and played Sax with your namesake about 25 years ago.

I know you will gain a lot from your association with the crowd here - check the various build logs for the Constitution if you decide to tackle it next.

Take care,

Kurt 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hello Miles and welcome aboard,

Good to hear your recovery from surgery is going well.  Just take your time.

As Mark said, when you're ready, feel free to start a buildlog.

If needed, you'll find plenty of advise, help and encouragement from everyone

I wish you smooth sailing with our gallant crew.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Welcome to MSW Miles! Good to have you with us and I'm sure that you will find us a great community to help you get through those challenging moments in the builds as well as some of those same moments in life. Best of luck to you and I look forward to seeing your work!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hey howya goin mate welcome.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

• 1 month later...

Miles,

Welcome to MSW!

You don't happen to have any musical interest?

With that name, I have to inquire.......:dancetl6:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Glad to see another Marine reporting aboard. I am in the middle of a Constitution build so stop by and visit. 

I was in Marine helicopters Vietnam tour with HMM-164 and HMM-362 July `67 - Aug `68. Semper Fi to those who fly! This is a great site to enjoy and learn as well. :cheers:  Semper Fi! Ken

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Welcome!

It seems quite a few here are recovering from some illness or another.

Its the reflection time we spend in hospital which makes our minds wander to the tall ships and the stars they steered them by

Regards

Jeremy

Currently in the shipyard:      Meta nr 484 - Billing
                                                La Toulannaise (Billing) - on hold

Waiting patiently in the shed: HMS Victory - Da Agostini (collection complete and anxiously waiting :D )

IL Leudo - Amati

Lilla Dan nr 578 - Billing