Erik W

Herreshoff Manufacturing Co plan availability

I recently received the book Herreshoff American Masterpieces.  Reviewed here: https://www.woodenboatscalendar.com/review.html This is truly one of the best coffee table books, on any subject, I've seen.  If you like recreational sailboats, it's a must have.  It's a huge 11 1/2" x 14".  The photography is amazing.

The Herreshoff plans are part of the Hart Nautical Collection at the  MIT Museum.  Does anyone know if these are available to the general public?  It's an intriguing thought to build a scale model of one of the sailboats featured in this book.

Erik

thibaultron and mtaylor like this

Erik,

PM Pete48.  He's built a number of these boats (they're in the scratch area).  If you want to see them, look at his activity on the profile and pick "topics" after "view all activity".   Or, just search "Herreshoff".

thibaultron, Erik W and druxey like this

Thanks Mark.  I just shot Pete a PM.  His Herreshoff builds in the gallery look great!

Erik

thibaultron and mtaylor like this

Erik

Some few years ago I reached out to the MIT folks and they were extremely responsive regarding plans on the Herreshoff designs.  Kurt Hasselbalch was the gentleman that helped me regarding the New York Yacht Club 30's which I fell in love with after having a chance to see many models of them at the NYYC.  This is going back 3 years so I don't know if he is still  the proper contact.   If you wish, PM me and I can give you his email address.

Allan   

thibaultron, Erik W and mtaylor like this

5 hours ago, allanyed said:

Erik

Some few years ago I reached out to the MIT folks and they were extremely responsive regarding plans on the Herreshoff designs.  Kurt Hasselbalch was the gentleman that helped me regarding the New York Yacht Club 30's which I fell in love with after having a chance to see many models of them at the NYYC.  This is going back 3 years so I don't know if he is still  the proper contact.   If you wish, PM me and I can give you his email address.

Allan   

Hi Allan,

I tried to PM you, but was given the error message, "allanyed is unable to receive messages".  Thanks for the offer of sending me Kurt Hasselbalch's contact info.  The Herreshoff book, which was just published late last year, lists him as curator of the MIT Museum.  So, yes, please PM me his email address.

The sailboat in the book that really caught my eye is the NY50 Spartan.  Though, they're all quite beautiful.

P1050166.JPG

Thanks!

Erik

ccoyle, mtaylor and Archi like this

Don't know if this is what you are looking for but the book "Sensible Cruising Designs" by L. Francis Herreshoff has drawings of several Herreshoff designs including the H-14, H-28, Rozinante and several others from small canoes to large ocean cruisers.

mtaylor, thibaultron and Erik W like this

I assume that you are looking for drawings by Nathanel not L. Francis.  It is my understanding that Nathanel did not make lines drawings, electing instead to loft his designs from offsets taken from half models by a special device made for him by Brown & Sharpe.  You would therefore have to create lines drawings from information contained on construction drawings or preferably from mold loft offsets if you can find them. 

Roger

Erik W, mtaylor and thibaultron like this

Plans for Nat Herrshoff's Alerion III, his personal boat, are available from Mystic Seaport. I purchased a set many years ago, but never built a model. They also have the actual boat on display, I was allowed to go aboard and take reference photos when I visited there. Here is the link to the plans:

https://store.mysticseaport.org/ships-plans/alerion-iii-herreshoff-hull-718.html

Erik W, thibaultron and mtaylor like this

Give them a call The Herrshoff Museum is in Bristol RI where the original ship yard was A fantastic place to visit Some one there, even Mr H himself might be able to help you.

Good luck

Andy

Erik W, mtaylor and thibaultron like this

A buddy of mine sent me a picture he took of Spartan just the other day. She's de-rigged for the off season right now I guess. No spars, just a large, beautiful flush deck, taken from the port quarter. What a hull shape.

mtaylor, thibaultron and Erik W like this