Hermione by MESSIS - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1/89

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its being a long time since (30 Dec) I had some real progress, but now the shipyard is in full tempo again.

Both Lifeboats are ready and on-board! And some celebration its needed… send a barrel XO Cognac Hennessy on-board….

20180228_113101.jpg

20180228_114857.jpg

hennessy-hermione-barrel.jpg

vlcsnap-2018-02-10-09h51m02s410.png

Edited by MESSIS

The flag is ready. Thats the Royal flag (Royal Standard1365-1792)  flag of the Kingdom of France. WIth the coat of arms of the House of Burbon . As Lafayette sailed for the first time 1779-80, the King  of France was Ludwig the XVI. 

20180302_124643.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

Wuao... that was hard. Two days strugle to get the dead-eyes on the fore channel.

I hope I did everything ok. Hole were extra drilled and a primer was used in order to  get the paint on the brass wire parts.

20180308_155053.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

• 2 weeks later...

I work a lot but it doesnt seem to progress. Dead-eyes on the channels its a very slow work. At the other hand its the first time am doing a ship of this era (I used to build ancient ships) and maybe am doing something wrong here. If anyone guys has an advice how to improve my work please please go ahead an post it to me.

Hello, just my 2 eurocents

I was far more lazy regarding the assemby of deadeyes & channels : instead of soldering I used black thread and made sure to hide the knots inside the channels as I suppose there's an incision at every dead-eye position. The advantage was that I could straighten the thread at my own convenience.

You also may want to decrease the thickness at the extremeties of the wooden parts of your anchors, if still possible.

But as always : you are the captain.

Take care

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

@Barbossa. Thank you very much. I appreciate very much your response and ofcourse your advices. One thing is that I havent understood your second remark about the extremities of the wooden parts of the anchors. You mean that the ends of the woden parts have to be less thick? 

Thx again

Christos 20180317_074114.thumb.jpg.eb117ebebe2d85676e76b9ca1ccd02f6.jpg

lovely work Christos,

she`s coming along very well....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

@Barbossa. Thank you for your effort to explain me. I think though, and if not please correct me, that the extremities are similar to the image of the above link. I believe the picture I posted above lets that detail to show otherwise. Here its a better pic. Please comment if am still not following.

20180322_134724.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

Hi Christos,

Now I understand, it decreases indeed. The angle from which you can notice that the dimension of the wood is to decrease at both extremities is just different. 

Again, a simple photo - as you posted- can tell more than a thousand words.

It's all clear to me now.

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Bill thank you very much.

Untill now I was just having a lot of fan with this build. Now, after your comment, that it is Indeed very flattering for me,  the whole attempt became  a happy event. Its a great feeling knowing that all these many working hours are not going wasted. Its my first tallship you know. Untill now I was working only with ancient ships and it was a real challeng to go for it. 

Anyway,  thanks to you and Mirabell61 -Nils-  and your good words,  you made the whole project for me even more  enjoyable . Thank you again Bill.

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

• 2 weeks later...

Bill thank you very much. That was very flattering. You made me think better about my modelling skils. But mostly you made my project more enjoyable. I am on it a year now (since March 17) and believe I have 600 hours work on her (studies, visits , reading, searching etc not included). I enjoy every second. Believe me I do

thank you again

Christos