Hermione by MESSIS - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1/89

Looks very good Messis, nice work

• 4 weeks later...

Yards prepaired... and standing rigging started since more than a few days. Fist time making a 18th century rigging. Complicated compared with my ancient model builds of the   3rd and 4th cent. bc and even the my viking ship build (9th cent. ac).

BUT LOTS OF FAN! Reading books and working again my rusted engineers mind 😡.20180524_105936.thumb.jpg.3bb3f62124e769043761dd78803b4d7a.jpg

20180515_130053.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Shrouds and more rigging... but still too slow due to lack of expirience. In a more than a few cases I may do and redo a stage that isnt good enough at the first assemply. Am sure that my second project of such a ship will go quicker and have a finer result.

20180605_131352.jpg

How did installing the chainplates go? I'm installing the details on my masts today so will be trying this myself soon. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Was wondering if I could us one (1) piece for the lower chains instead of two (2) pieces.

Dutchman: thank you for your encourichment... I take your comment more or less  as an indication that my ambition to build an acceptable/decent model seems to be near enough.

Fright: Thank you. Yes! It seems you really do. Its hard and challenging but at the same time very enjoyable. 

Dilbert55: To which part are you refering? 

Edited by MESSIS

Dilbert55: I cant tell if your idea is better or not than the instructions. Believe me I did it ecxactly by the A/L instructions and is easyier than it looks. The first few went slow, but then it became a piece of cake. Hard were the chainplates at the two stern channels.These are smaller and harder to get in hand. For that I used an even thinner brass wire so that I could bind it (or twist it )as a rope.

Dont be afraid to follow the instructions. Out of my expirience, every time I tryied something else it has always prooven the AL instruct. as the better and easyier one.

hope tha helps my friend

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

Looking very nice, have you got a large figure to place at the capstan? :default_wallbash:  Will try my idea with the chainplates and let you know how it works out. I'm not as confident about the Artesania instructions, have found the Rigging section contains quite a few errors and lack of clarity and I'm only at the Mizzen mast. For example, on the upper mizzen it calls for a "CF6" block but CF6 is a crowsnest platform??? looks like a #176 block.

CF6.png.defcbd066c3e4b9ca6080cd31ab3d320.png

Figure on the capstan: Already did, this log page 6. I know what you meant saying "a large figure"... but yes as you see there is one that can still turn the huge capstan 😉

Yes there are a lot of errors in the instructions ( be carefull of the mast parts lengths, more than a few are given wrong in the instructions). But still I trust there procedures...   believe me they are well studied and correct given. Anyway, I think your idea its challenging... I would also go for it. So good luck and please keep me informed, its good to know.

capstan sailor.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

Nice rigging progress Christos....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils: thank you Nils. I do a lot of redos. You see its easy to make mistakes because of lack of expirience. The books we talked about are both a great help. The "Historic Ship Models" from W. Zu Mondfeld I got it from amazon de, it was half price of its english version.... have some trouble with the german terminology but its a great book!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Christos,

I have also ordered this model with the crew figures. 

Would you send me the paint colors you wrote about here in your log?

I tried to send you a message here in MSW but your box must be full and can't except anymore.

PS: I hope my ship turns out a well as yours

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

On 7/10/2018 at 12:12 AM, MESSIS said:

Shipyard has reopend since yesterday. Vacations are over 😣. Here we go again...

MESSI,

I would love to see your more of your vacation photos of the ship Hermione. 

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum