Hermione by MESSIS - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1/89

Christos,

Thank you for enlightening me about the flag under which Hermione sailed to the U.S. in 1780.  I had not seen any reference to that, so I appreciate the information.  Although I understand that the model is of the replica ship, I believe that, once the crew are included with a replica of the Marquis, the correct flag should be included. I bought a Fleur de Lis flag set from HisModel in Czechoslovakia for my kit and will now have to reconsider that choice.  But, it is the builder's choice and I respect your reasoning.  It does lend itself to an interesting discussion.  

Also, I would greatly appreciate that list of colors and any photos of the ship.  Thank you for the kind offer!

Bill

Edited by Bill Morrison

Working on deck furniture its not always easy because of the small scale. Some time even lenses cant help to achieve an acceptable result... am having some hard time but nevertheless its fan looking at the results at the end

20170907_141301.jpg

20170905_115924.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

Thank you Bill. Though I should have used a white primer before painting it red. Not using a white primer gave a darker red on the wheel. On the other hand I was afraid that the primer would have cover the wheel details...it was a dillema and so am happy that you find the wheel well done!

Edited by MESSIS

You are doing very well, nice work

So shipyard goes one...slowly because the presitential elections in Cyprus are coming to their pick (am the campaign manager of one of the main canditates) but still I visit Hermione even if I come home very late in the night. Mostly just to look at her... some times even to work on her even very shortly.

20171126_213459.jpg

20171126_213342.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work Christos,

"Hermione`s " stern-plate looks great....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

They dont differ much Bill,

The replica has some safety features like the safety nets and some extra railing on deck, she has anchor chains, no hull coopering, two water jet engines and the paint work seems to be different,  though the AL modellers say that this is the original painting. But if you look other models,even the older version of AL the colours differ. And also the flag issue (discussed here earlier).

Bottom line this model was designed after the replica it self and not according to existed period paintings or  the time drawings (kept in Greenwich museum). Although we have to note that the replica designers/builders did had all of those in mind when building the replica modell and I guess they used them they way they did.

I hope that gave you an idea.

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

It all looks very interesting Messis, I'll be be waiting to see it all come together.