Hermione by MESSIS - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1/89

Thank you!

I have been sick as of late, and my wife's family is staying for the week so not much progress this past week. :( But I will have much more time starting on Monday when everyone leaves our house. 

I'm looking forward to new updates from your build!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Mm

Messis,

I am enjoying your build log. 

I have read that some modelers use hairspray and a fan to get the effect of wind in there sails. I don't have experience with it myself but it sounded good.

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

I dont know Russ about hairspray, but am going to make an experement before I start Hermione's sails.Am going to try GAC400 on a new sail with which I plan to replace the folded sail of my bireme.

If that works Ill go on with Hermione... if not then the folded sail now on my birem will remain in place. I let you know about this project because am going to post pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

After the succesfull  experiment to fill the sail, of my old Bireme build from 2015, with wind, using the GAC400 stiffener of JerseyCity Frankie's* method, I begun forming Hermione's Fore Staysail.

*Frankie is an experienced  shipbuilding modeller and old member of our blog, whom I thank very much for his help and good advising.

For the experiment I made a new thread:

here are the results: a sail blowing!!

20180813_133642.jpg

20180813_133620.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

So today I went back to Hermione and  have started forming her Fore staysail.

Its a new challenge again because I have never before done sails and running rigging of a period ship.

But so far I am statisfied with the results and I am enjoying it.

20180814_154243.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

And here we go... the first headsail (out of three)  is allready blown by the wind.

I dont know guys how bad or good it actualy looks, but I think at least the sail is not hanging dead....

Does anyone thinks that the sail is hanging too high? 

20180816_124103.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

The Burbon's royal flag is flying on the flagmast. The General  Lafayette as royal envoy, was on board of Hermione, ferried to America. It was in 1780 when Louis XVI  sent General  La Fayette, carrying the "French reinforcements secret news", to George Washington in Boston, during the American Revolutionary war...

And a detail 😊: On the drivergaff is flying a small  flag of Cyprus.... Its the courtesy flag of the home port... thats here in my haus, where this model of Hermione, is at the moment visiting!

20180828_130734.jpg

20180828_131746.jpg

20180828_132342.jpg

20180828_132355.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

The picture below shows the sail system am aiming. Its called "broad reach" with the wind coming from behind at an angle, the sails over starboard side (picture) and the mizzen's gaff furled. (The flag shows the direction of wind.)

In picture below the wind blows over starboard side... am setting my sail system in the same way, but the wind blowing instead over port side.

This is due to the way am going to display the finished model at the end.

47a49565062a138adddd0cba483ddd07--l-hermione-sailing-ships.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

All is looking real good Messis. That would look incredible if you could simulate those sails.

Congratulations on your sails and their wind blown appearance! I know that the effort it takes to get the sails to appear full of wind adds a great deal of time and effort to the model, much more time than if you had simply hung cloth from the spars, but I feel it is worth it for the visual effect it gives to the model. 

Niagara USS Constitution 

@Richmond

Thank you Sir, am happy you liked the colors because it has been a long way until I came up with these colours and paint work.

To that I have to thank a gentleman from Artesania Latina, Mr Juan Suarez, who has send me all the required details concernig the original colours of Hermione.

Edited by MESSIS