Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluenose2

Jigs

Hello Les here. Your useless tool guru. Have found a jig on the Rockler Tools web site. Take a look at the thin rip jig for your table saw. Item # 36833.  Any feed back, maybe the best but who knows. It's on the way.

Do you think that you will be able to do a better job with this measuring tool?

Bonjour Gaetan. I am looking at making my own planking etc instead of purchasing after market products. This appears to be able to rip 1 mm thin strips. I can't do that reliably on my table saw without the danger of loosing pieces or my fingers. Hopefully this one will work. Merci.

mtaylor and Canute like this

I have a Rockler thin rip jig that I use with my 10in table saw.  It works great as by using it you don't have to pinch the wood between the fence and the saw.  There is also a U tube video of a guy using one of these to rip paper thin strips with a bandsaw.

Roger

mtaylor, bluenose2 and Canute like this

Which method ives the best results; between the blade and the fence or to the left of the blade?

Are there similarities with the feather board?

Hello Gaetan. Les here. There is a distinct advantage to ripping very thin pieces of wood outboard of the fence. By trapping 1/16 inch strips between the fence and the blade you risk shattering them or cutting yourself. For those interested in what this unit looks like go to Rockler tools. It is called the thin rip jig. Stk # 36833.

mtaylor and Canute like this

Hello Roger. Les here. I am interested in how good this unit is. My hope is that it can successfully rip 1 - 2 mm thin pieces. Are you satisfied with it?

Canute and mtaylor like this

Hello Gaetan Les back. Yes you can rip thin strips as you say. However if your trying to consistantly rip deck planking that is 1mm x 5mm say, you have be careful extracting the cut piece out of the feed end by the fence. Dicey. This can cause chatter and leave saw blade marks on your cut. Not to mention having it sucked past the blade and zero clearance plate. Reviews of the Rockler product has been suggested by one user to purchase two of these units so the wood can be guided doubly before the blade to reduce wobble of the feed stock. I will use my Krieg feather boards to possibly do the same thing. I will put another feather board past the blade to ensure that the piece being cut does not flutter left or right making contact with the blade so as to reduce chatter marks. As a carpenter I would just like to point out how dangerous it is to try and cut very fine rips between the fence and blade. I have had all the possible things that could happen, happen. Murphy's Law. 

Canute and mtaylor like this

Les,

This is a nicely made piece of equipment.  Mine works fine. The locking mechanism is intended to fit the 1/2 in wide miter slot of US made table saws and bandsaws.

Roger

Canute, bluenose2 and mtaylor like this

''As a carpenter I would just like to point out how dangerous it is to try and cut very fine rips between the fence and blade."

This is true on  a 10 inch blade, this is not true on a small one. I did miles of thin plank with success.

In french we say all the roads lead to Rome. There is often more than 1 way to do a job.

The thin rip jigs work extremely well with the 10" Sawstop I use. I found a similar jig made by Infinity Tools https://www.infinitytools.com/thin-rip-tablesaw-jig that is slightly cheaper and looks to be a bit more substantial than the Rockler tool. This is the one I have been using.  Trying to cut strips between the fence and the blade is very dangerous and error prone.