Hi Less this a similar jig to this one I designed a few years back.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hello Gaetan. Les here. There is a distinct advantage to ripping very thin pieces of wood outboard of the fence. By trapping 1/16 inch strips between the fence and the blade you risk shattering them or cutting yourself. For those interested in what this unit looks like go to Rockler tools. It is called the thin rip jig. Stk # 36833.

Hello Gaetan Les back. Yes you can rip thin strips as you say. However if your trying to consistantly rip deck planking that is 1mm x 5mm say, you have be careful extracting the cut piece out of the feed end by the fence. Dicey. This can cause chatter and leave saw blade marks on your cut. Not to mention having it sucked past the blade and zero clearance plate. Reviews of the Rockler product has been suggested by one user to purchase two of these units so the wood can be guided doubly before the blade to reduce wobble of the feed stock. I will use my Krieg feather boards to possibly do the same thing. I will put another feather board past the blade to ensure that the piece being cut does not flutter left or right making contact with the blade so as to reduce chatter marks. As a carpenter I would just like to point out how dangerous it is to try and cut very fine rips between the fence and blade. I have had all the possible things that could happen, happen. Murphy's Law. 

''As a carpenter I would just like to point out how dangerous it is to try and cut very fine rips between the fence and blade."

This is true on  a 10 inch blade, this is not true on a small one. I did miles of thin plank with success.

In french we say all the roads lead to Rome. There is often more than 1 way to do a job.

The thin rip jigs work extremely well with the 10" Sawstop I use. I found a similar jig made by Infinity Tools https://www.infinitytools.com/thin-rip-tablesaw-jig that is slightly cheaper and looks to be a bit more substantial than the Rockler tool. This is the one I have been using.  Trying to cut strips between the fence and the blade is very dangerous and error prone. 

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

• 2 weeks later...

I find a slide on top of the saw table works well for strips.  Clamp the wood to be cut to the slide and you can cut thin strips without a fence and without endangering your fingers.  Added a picture of a nicely made table saw slide.

Tablesaw-slide.jpg

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.