Cutty Sark by deckape - FINISHED - Revell - 1/96 - PLASTIC - 1959 kit

Ahoy Gents

This will be a short build log on this topic on my next it will be a full build log,  Okay this is the first release production of 1959v Revell CUTTY  SARK  I got this for Christmas been building it for all those years up to now she is at the finishing down hill slide.  I should have this wrapped up by tomorrow evening and get started on something new.  Here is my 1959 CUTTY SARK

Frankie Day

SAM_1391.JPG

SAM_1392.JPG

SAM_1393.JPG

SAM_1395.JPG

SAM_1396.JPG

SAM_1397.JPG

SAM_1398.JPG

SAM_1399.JPG

Turn To Continue Ships Work

I got that kit for Christmas in 1959 also (hounded my folks for it) and, as I recall, it cost $5.00 then. Built it and won a 1st place trophy

at a Coast Guard model ship competition! A few years later it fell off a shelf, right onto the masts...  :-(

7 hours ago, husky1943 said:

Ciao Frankie,

Robert said it best; She is a treasure.  Loves me some Revell Plastic.  I heard they are re-issuing it sometime soon!  Wonder how much the kit cost in 1959???

Ciao for now

Ahoy shipmate

thank you for your comment I am honored The kit in 1959 cost my parents $8.95 the kit retailed for my 1950 they stayed even keel for $9.95 up to 1969 then from there on the4 cost went up year by year. I am not to much of a ebay shopper I like to window shop there I seen a couple of these vintage kits available for bid I seen some as $35.00 to $ 50.00 out for grabs. In my mind the first production kits through out the 1960s were better kits they came with pre painted hulls that really sold the model. Nowdays they throw everything in a box even the delicate ratlines get all twisted up in plastic sprues and they quite thinned apposed to the 1959 ratlines. Although plastic this kit still turns heads and makes a great Museum quality kit I highly recemend getting this kit Thanks Clao

Frankie Day

SAM_1400.JPG

7 hours ago, Shotlocker said:

I got that kit for Christmas in 1959 also (hounded my folks for it) and, as I recall, it cost $5.00 then. Built it and won a 1st place trophy

at a Coast Guard model ship competition! A few years later it fell off a shelf, right onto the masts...  :-(

Ahoy

Yep we are lucky we got the kit when it was first released I was 19 years old in 1959 got back home for leave and it was a great Christmas when I opened up the Christmas package and seen this kit I saviored this kit all those years been building her off and on all that time and she will be done today and I will go to something else thanks buddy for checking in on this topic I am honored

Frankie Day

22397.jpg

22188.jpg

PICT0002.JPG

22300.jpg

Built the Revell Cutty in 64, only did the standing rigging, damaged during dusting and gave it away, not near the job you have done with yours, a keeper.. The Navy granted all of us at NTC San Diego  weeks Christmas Leave in 1959 so spent Christmas leave at home. Company 537, orders to DD 527 after graduation, born on the 27th, lots of 7s .

jud

3 hours ago, jud said:

Built the Revell Cutty in 64, only did the standing rigging, damaged during dusting and gave it away, not near the job you have done with yours, a keeper.. The Navy granted all of us at NTC San Diego  weeks Christmas Leave in 1959 so spent Christmas leave at home. Company 537, orders to DD 527 after graduation, born on the 27th, lots of 7s .

jud

Ahoy Jud

I joined the Navy in 1957 I was 17 years young back then a far cry for getting close to 80 years old Ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  Modeling keeps me young at heart and health and still working on a job. I went NTC  at San Diego next to the Hollywood marines Camp Penalton  I was a pumper in the Navy all of my ships I was on for 30 years in Navy were Fleet Oilers last ship I was on was the USS GUADALUPE AO-32 Boatswain Mate Chief was my retirement rate. Thanks Shipmate for tuning in Under Way Ships colors

Frankie Day

Ahoy Fellow Modelers

Here is the final reveal of the build, she is completed and it took 58 years to build I should live so long Lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll  Okay she is resting in hew dust cover and it is sitting in the living room. Here are the pictures of the build/

SAM_1412.JPG

SAM_1413.JPG

SAM_1414.JPG

SAM_1415.JPG

SAM_1416.JPG

This is still a very nice model, although it is more than half a century old.

By the way, in my teenager years, I got interested in ship modeling by this model, which was on exhibition on an advertising display for... Cutty Sark Whiskey.  I was then particularly impressed by the brass chains on the bowsprit.  But of course I have improved my criteria since then.  So did you as you tinted those chains.  Excellent job. Special thanks for sharing this one.

JP

7 hours ago, Jean-Pierre said:

This is still a very nice model, although it is more than half a century old.

By the way, in my teenager years, I got interested in ship modeling by this model, which was on exhibition on an advertising display for... Cutty Sark Whiskey.  I was then particularly impressed by the brass chains on the bowsprit.  But of course I have improved my criteria since then.  So did you as you tinted those chains.  Excellent job. Special thanks for sharing this one.

JP

Thank you sir for your comment I am honored. I gave the chains several coats of black wash the same I did with the deck. I got this kit on my 19th year Christmas from my parents I came home for leave in the Navy and spent Christmas with my folks they surprised me with this kit It took me off and on for 56 years to build this now she is done she is in her permanent berth under a dust cover for total exile.  thanks buddy

Frankie Day

• 2 months later...

Revell put out three different versions of the Cutty.....one without sails.....one with sails - museum,  and the one that was part of a seven model series.   the museum kit came with prepainted copper bottom.  I built two of them......the second one's not finished yet.   wonderful kits........even though they had that screwed up sectioned decking.  hard to remember......but I don't believe I've seen them below $89.99.   hard to find,  you can pick up a Kearsarge,  or the Alabama now-a-days for $250.00  I currently have my second build of the U.S.S.United States...bought the first one for $89.99,  the second one I got from E-Bay for $45.00!  they never knew what a treasure they had!  

great looking model Frank!   keep on build'in! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 8 months later...

I have a now 40 year old Museum version that my late uncle started.  I am going to complete it.  So far he had assembled some mast componants and did a bit of painting.  That was about it.  Unsure of what colors would be best.  Not sold.on those plastic sails.  Will likely go bare poles unless i can find a decent alternative.

What a great looking ship  and so realistic looking compared to the real ship in London.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 3 months later...

I've just got hold of the H-393 (1978) version of this kit, awaiting delivery. In anticipation, I'd appreciate guidance on the various scale chain needed to complete that aspect of the rigging, ie. links per inch. Some odd soul out there must have worked out what would be required, including an estimate of overall lengths needed. Can you help please?

• The title was changed to Cutty Sark by deckape - FINISHED - Revell - 1/96 - PLASTIC - 1959 kit