US Brig Syren by David Rice - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

I'd love to do some of that fly fishing with you!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

3 hours ago, JesseLee said:

I'd love to do some of that fly fishing with you!

Jesse

I used to do a lot of fly fishing. Some would say too much. Due to neurological problems that started over 10 years ago. I am only able to fish occasionally now. Had to give up most fishing, all hunting, backpacking, Kayaking, hiking, boating, cinematography, and just about everything else.  That's why I am taking up Model Ship/Boat Building.  Some days even that is too much. 

Starting the Model Shipways U.S. Brig Syren

Working on the Caldercraft HMS Snake

Completed Scratch Built of Russian Armed Merchant Ship Neva 1801-1805

Scratch Commercial Fishing Vessels

I know what you mean. Because of my Lyme disease I have had to give up most things. Even fishing is very limited. My health issues are also the reason I got back into ship modeling.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

On 7/13/2017 at 4:41 PM, reklein said:

I would have posted sooner but I had that posting problem going around. I wanted to warn you that you need to have the stern post in place with the stern Rabbet in place before you begin planking.

Are you saying the directions are wrong?     

You may not necessarily need the stern post but you will need the rabbet strip in place before planking.On the pic of your stern I did not see a rabbet.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

6 minutes ago, reklein said:

You may not necessarily need the stern post but you will need the rabbet strip in place before planking.On the pic of your stern I did not see a rabbet.

Looks like some people install the stern post before planking, and some wait until later.  I'm not sure yet which way I'll go yet.

Oh poooo............

Right now I feel like soaking the whole thing in warm water and starting over. 

IMG_6147.JPG

32 minutes ago, Tigersteve said:

Yikes! That should glue right up. 

Steve

The Stern Post are made out of that pink plywood. Right now they are breaking apart in my fingers like dry rot. I am afraid I will have to make some new Stern Post out of another material. I wish now I had discarded the stern post material provided in the kit,  and built new ones out of a better material at the beginning.  Grrrrrrrr

I have been further educated....................

I betting Chinese plywood was used. Model Shipways really needs to do better quality control. Send them that exact picture and complain. It is not only that it crumbles away, but your hours of work and the frustration it has wrought.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

This is just terrible, I'm terribly sorry to see this happen.  I would be red faced and about to put a hand through the wall.  Almost every Syren build has had crumbling sterns from what I've seen. Model Shipways has to do something about their materials, it's deplorable... 

30 minutes ago, Jim Rogers said:

I betting Chinese plywood was used. Model Shipways really needs to do better quality control. Send them that exact picture and complain. It is not only that it crumbles away, but your hours of work and the frustration it has wrought.

They know about the problem with the pink colored plywood. It's still in many Kits though.

22 minutes ago, reklein said:

Try making your new one out of two pieces of 3/16 bass wood. Two beams laid crosswise and sanded to shape.

Yes, that's what I was thinking about doing. I wonder if I should build it, then install it. What do you think?

I agree with Jim. Email John Garcia and Marc Mosko from Model Expo that photo. This reflects so poorly on their company. It's unfortunate. 

Even if you decide to rebuild with other materials. Still email that photo. 

Steve

Edited by Tigersteve

Only the A & B Stern Posts disintegrated. The C's look OK with the planks laid on them.  I will cut the A & B's from some 3/16 stock. 

IMG_6152.JPG

Starting the repair process. Filling in the gaps between the remains of Stern posts C and B looks a bit tricky.  I better buy some wood filler (cheater paste).

IMG_6169.JPG

IMG_6170.JPG

IMG_6171.JPG

10 minutes ago, svein erik said:

Hi, Grait work so far, I havent startet with my syren build yet, but I got a New frame to build on

so I hope it better😊

If your Kit contains any of that pink colored plywood, I suggest you send it back for a replacement.

David, that fix puts you you right bak on track! Well done!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

A little more tweaking and sanding and I will be back to where I was before. I wish I had done this at the beginning. What a difference.

IMG_6188.JPG

Not meaning to steal your post but I feel I should, unfortunately, suggest caution by our

brother and sister shipwrights regarding MEs quality control. I hope I am not breaking forum

rules.

Short version, I requested replacement strips from them because the kit (Confederacy) was short

of this item. Previously ME had been good at providing replacements. The first set of strips was the wrong dimensions.

The second set, some weeks later, the same, wrong dimensions again. Now I'm lucky to get any response at all.

They told me that they would ship them a week ago. I am using upgraded lumber from other providers.

I had no problems with the Syren kit. Unfortunately we must use caution with this provider.

Regards, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Making slow progress. I played around with some paint today. I created a very thin paint in a Yellow Ocher color.  I also practiced making tree nails.  The sample below has tree nails to the left. No tree nails to the right. I mixed some different green colors, but since the model has so much black and black trim, the green color makes the model too dark. I could skip the tree nails and use thicker paint.  Anyway, it's time to get back to planking. 

IMG_6273.JPG

Edited by David Rice

Did you use the putty for the treenails? I found that the putty was just enough different color that it works for this purpose.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10: