Andrea Gail by BassicBill - Billing Boats 608

I don't know how to tell you this without sounding like a critic,  but the fore deck fenders should follow the edge of the deck and merge at the bow stem.   her hull looks good....you did an amazing recovery...the bulwarks look good too :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hey! Thanks for those observations , Popeye! Easily remedied and important  corrections to make. I have the rub rails on, but this morning Admiralty pointed out a couple of unacceptable 'features'in their placement that require a few more corrections. Overall, I am greateful for this interest and ensuing intervention. I've also closed the passageway at the stern which I had mistakenly cut (a result of misreading the instructions).

Current build Andrea Gail (Billings)

just as long as you know I'm not being a critic........I really want you to succeed.   I'll help in any way I can.   here are a few pictures of my A.G.   it may give you some ideas.

5920d654184e9_3.jpg.d64859897e0ad323a3b2e6cc792bb4f4.jpg 

5920d66b00eef_7.jpg.a5c7224307eece81cfc583bdcec4530d.jpg

5920d69def457_8.jpg.474ac76415c333438c6abf10c19c0821.jpg

5920d6b6ace2b_13.jpg.3b58bab4b38d8abb443e8d3bc5dcd805.jpg

the rig is made up of three different size dowels.   the rack is made from bamboo dowel.   I made all the decals for her.  you can get a good idea about the fenders and how they diminish just before the bird brackets.   you'll get to make these bird cranes........they were fun to make.....very easy :)    I still find it hard to believe that the hull was from another model...but this is what I thought of........and this is what I got ;)   do a search and look at the different trawlers there are.......you'll see some similarities in how they are constructed,  and the equipment they use.   don't forget the ice maker for her...... 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hey, the ice machine cratered!! (according to Hollywood). Your comments are a Long way from criticism!! Really, really helpful stuff and each suggestion is very much appreciated! Thank you for these photos! Valuable stuff indeed! You must be (deservedly proud of your beautiful work! I want only for my model to look "nice." I have never been one to accomplish much beyond 'acceptable, in those things I pursue (with the possible exception of a few of my artistic pieces. On topic; I'm spending pretty much the entire long weekend in getting these 'fenders remade and installed. Using styrene scrap and pretty much ALL of my limited patience:D

lots of other folks here on the site,  are far better than I.    I just like to have fun.......I've been doing this a while.  if you haven't looked,  dig up my log on her.....it's in the scratch build forum.   you'll see how I built the model.  there's also plenty of ideas you can try for your model.  keep at it.........your doing fine ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey, the ice machine cratered (according to Hollywood). Your comments are a Long way from criticism!! Really, really helpful stuff and each suggestion is very much appreciated! 

Most recent shot of my hull, showing the blunt end. I've spent the past two weeks in tweaking the rub rails et al. Tain't pretty and tain't righ' lots of cleanup to do, but still &all, this is what I have; most, the result of a bevy of life challenges (not the least of which includes a serious falling out withAdmiralty (life happens!!). Aside from the necessary cleanup and despite the extra lumber inserted, I'm getting closer and closer to a point where I am personally satisfied.

IMG_3587.JPG

glad to see 'er Bill!   I think you did a splendid job .......your learning,  and that's the big thing! ;)    your enjoying the process,  and that's what counts!   yup.......fill in the gaps and define the contour better on the stern......'bout all I can say at the moment.   sorry to hear 'bout you an' the admiral......hope it's not serious.    keep at it....your doing great! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Kind words indeed, Popeye! With significant relief, I Have more or less decided that I'm satisfied that the hull is pretty much finished. Armed with this little bit of arrogance, I have now launched into adding "fittings" to the upper deck, beginning with the larger Davit which hangs off the foredeck extension (is this the 'winch deck?) just now I'm trying to sort out the spacing of stanchions on the foredeck. Not a big deal; I've got enough drawings of the vessel to use as a guide. I "do" fear for the longevity of the Davit, however, given my knowledge of my clumsiness and frequent lack of attention where 'handling is concerned. For that reason, I've also foregone ( for now) the addition of the rudder and screw - As I know very well that both would be broken off in short order should I be so foolish to install them prematurely. I also blew a coat of green paint on the hull last night, for the purposes of perspective. Having done so,I see now that I'll be forced to "brush" on the finishing coats, due in no small part to my refusal to spend the remainder of my retirement in messing about with adequate "masking." 

In other 'news, after browsing through a LOT of model ship kits online, I find myself strongly drawn to the Billings version of the RCMP St.Roch; a historic vessel indeed (where we Canucks are concerned. Imagine, if you will -The RCMP -A gaggle of Mounties transiting the Northwest Passage with NO horses whatsoever, on which to mount themselves! (No doubt the space saved through not needing additional space for the transport of forage was a great relief! This boat holds special meaning for me, because when she first went on display in Vancouver, B.C. In the very late 50's, at the age of 10, my dad took me down to see her. Her story is quite remarkablet!  TheSt.Roch display was declared a National Heritage (site) in 1962. Evidently, that wee visit made a lasting impression on me, and (I have to admit) quite probably helped to fuel my obsession with history! (Who says Canadian history is boring???

My Cage and "Deck Box" , awaiting glueing and paint. I'll need to level out the Winch Deck (sadly glued in with quite a slant to it). Also need to add pulleys to the davit before I tackle all of the winches.IMG_3588.thumb.JPG.61b9d77fb24a17ddc8debfbb5a5cddca.JPGKind words indeed, Popeye! With significant relief, I Have more or less decided that I'm satisfied that the hull is pretty much finished. Armed with this little bit of arrogance, I have now launched into adding "fittings" to the upper deck, beginning with the larger Davit which hangs off the foredeck extension (is this the 'winch deck?) just now I'm trying to sort out the spacing of stanchions on the foredeck. Not a big deal; I've got enough drawings of the vessel to use as a guide. I "do" fear for the longevity of the Davit, however, given my knowledge of my clumsiness and frequent lack of attention where 'handling is concerned. For that reason, I've also foregone ( for now) the addition of the rudder and screw - As I know very well that both would be broken off in short order should I be so foolish to install them prematurely. I also blew a coat of green paint on the hull last night, for the purposes of perspective. Having done so,I see now that I'll be forced to "brush" on the finishing coats, due in no small part to my refusal to spend the remainder of my retirement in messing about with adequate "masking." 

In other 'news, after browsing through a LOT of model ship kits online, I find myself strongly drawn to the Billings version of the RCMP St.Roch; a historic vessel indeed (where we Canucks are concerned. Imagine, if you will -The RCMP -A gaggle of Mounties transiting the Northwest Passage with NO horses whatsoever, on which to mount themselves! (No doubt the space saved through not needing additional space for the transport of forage was a great relief! This boat holds special meaning for me, because when she first went on display in Vancouver, B.C. In the very late 50's, at the age of 10, my dad took me down to see her. Her story is quite remarkablet!  TheSt.Roch display was declared a National Heritage (site) in 1962. Evidently, that wee visit made a lasting impression on me, and (I have to admit) quite probably helped to fuel my obsession with history! (Who says Canadian history is boring???

having a friend in Barry's Bay,  I am well aware of the RCMP.....even had to call them once,  in my friend's behalf.  {long story}    it might have seemed strange to them,  that a person from the U.S. would call them...but {let's just say} I wasn't going to sit back and let anything happen to him {especially if I knew the back story}.    I don't believe there is a finished build of that particular ship here on the site.......a few have tried.   you could be the first ;)   I like that ship too,  after seeing some of the assembly.   I even have the main part of the instructions for her.   looking at my sig,  I am a bit drawn to Billing Boats,  even had some involvement with Billing USA,  when it was an active company.   

the platform and the beginning of the buoy rack looks really good........I see you have the deck extension on the fore deck.......be sure it is level.   the helm structure and bird brackets are linked to it.  a good way to prevent small mishaps from happening,  would be to make sure that the hull work is done, before moving on to the deck.   sounds like you have a plan.

keep going my friend...... ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

My small herd of winches, finished today. Somehow I got it in my head that I needed 5of these things, why is not important. 4of them have .75mm solder wrapped around the spools while the other is wrapped in grey thread to simulate cable. Not pretty but they oughta do the job.

IMG_3589.JPG

I caused another coat of white paint to be sprayed on the upper deck, after installing a few details including in part, the stanchions and guard 'rails' on each side (As is the case with a great many vessels, the 'rails' fitted on our destroyers, were in truth, vinyl covered cable which we were forbidden to lean on, lest they be stretched or fail, (thereby creating an inconvenient and awkward). 'man overboard' situation For my guardrails', I used a length of small dia. Piano wire (actually guitar string). On the after ends of these wires, I added a wee 'seed bead' to give them a 'finished' look. I guess the winch reels now need a coat of light grey paint before I go much further. Instructions now direct me to begin construction of the Wheelhouse, which I hope to tackle on the morrow. While I mess with that task, I intend to also begin painting the lower hull with red oxide paint. Happily, the separation between that and the "green "ships side" paint is quite simple, possibly being accomplished without the stress of fooling with masking tape, etc.

a lot of times,  I will use cotton thread {I have quite a bit of it},  pour some steel or silver paint on a rag,  and wipe the thread in one direction.   this will mat down the fuzzies and produce some fine cable.  this can also be done with any flat paint,  to create standing and running rigging....tan/green,  tan/brown,  and black.   keen to see what you've come up with. ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

I know it ain't pretty, but I'm calling this model finished. I'm well aware of most of the flaws and ugly bits but in the end, given my current capabilities, I'm satisfied. I'm especially impressed that I've actually stuck with it as long as I have, considering the many hurdles I've had to work through. With respect to maintaining this ' build log', I'm disappointed in that I believe I should have contributed more posts on my progress. Completion occurred yesterday but already I feel quite lost, having "nothing to do!" If my budget allowed, I would be ordering a new kit now, but such is not currently advisable. Therefore I'll continue just "being retired" a new whine about how we retirees never get a day off! Same thing, every day, "be retired ", over and over. :D

IMG_4296.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

hello Bill........sorry it's taken me so long to reply.   sounds to me like your giving up......here are some points to think about.   the kit is detailed.......and you've provided quite a few of the details that define the vessel.  if I look at her quickly,  my first thought would be of the Andrea Gail....so you've captured the essence of the vessel.  the vessel also shows that you've put a lot of effort into it....and to me,  that means more than if you had done a stellar job on her.   what I see here,  is that you chose a subject that was a little too complex for your experience.   there are many smaller kits out there.......simpler and more standard....I suggest you continue,  and try one of these kits.  if your into Billing's kits,  they even have a few that are beginner level.   I hope your going to display her..you actually did very well on her,  in spite of the problem you encountered.   you could even try plastic kits.

don't give up the ship my friend.....I hope you continue ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, thank you so much for your kind words! I do appreciate them, as I've appreciated your help along the way. I very much want to do the billings St.Roche, however, that will have to wait. What I've done is to get a great deal on a full scale kayak kit (I'm a little nuts about kayaking). Although it's partly finished already, there is more than enough work to be done on it that the remainder of the summer has consequently been fully booked! Probably all next winter as well, for that matter. In the end I'll have myself two wooden kayaks, both of which will be head-turners :D in the meantime, onward and upwards!!

glad to hear you've found something to fill your time :)    perhaps a build log on it might be something of interest.   if you find that your experiencing gaps of time to be filled,  and decide to get the kit,  let me know.   I'll get a St Roche and we can build them together ;)   there are only a couple logs here......none have been finished as far as I'm aware.   I have the plans for it too......don't have the profile diagrams though.......downloaded the plans to follow along with a previous attempt to build it.   I have the Norden in the closet at the moment......that might also be a doable build for you as well.   just let me know in advance ;)   don't disappear.........your a good heart.......keep in touch.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: