Picket Boat #1 by Blighty - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24 - The boat that sank the Albemarle in 1864

Hi, this is my 3rd model. I will not be starting this till the end of the week, I have to clean up the bench from my last build the Chaperon. Hoping you can find something of interest if you do follow along, looking forward to being in touch soon.

I plan to bash this kit about to try to make better use of packaging, with a crew not much shy of 20 men, square footage must have been prime real estate. My plans don't follow historic records to closely but the changes I make I hope have merit and at worst should generate some friendly banter, I hope so.

All the best Len.

Sounds good, Len. The American Civil War is an area of interest to me. I have one of these in my stash, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Ditto.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

10 hours ago, Canute said:

Sounds good, Len. The American Civil War is an area of interest to me. I have one of these in my stash, too.

Hi Ken, I think I am fairly versed in the history of the Picket Boat, one thing you may be able to advise me on is, the year it was built? or was it a new build specifically for the Albemarle assult?

I've been looking forward to this build, hpe you can stick around for it.

Len

I'm in as well,  

Hi Len...it's my understanding that there were two boats purchased specifically for the Albemarle mission, so they were fairly new.   

20 hours ago, jct said:

I'm in as well,  

Hi Len...it's my understanding that there were two boats purchased specifically for the Albemarle mission, so they were fairly new.   

Hi J, Yes I read there were 2 boats also, one sank on the way to the battle so I figured they were old stock, something like my old Chaperon!! I'm in 2 minds as to the finishing of the PB #1, I took a look at as many build logs as I could find and there's plenty of variation in finishes and colors. Some great builds to pick at for ideas.

Thx for the feedback.

Guest Tim I.

Actually, they were built for the mi

49 minutes ago, Blighty said:

Hi J, Yes I read there were 2 boats also, one sank on the way to the battle so I figured they were old stock, something like my old Chaperon!! I'm in 2 minds as to the finishing of the PB #1, I took a look at as many build logs as I could find and there's plenty of variation in finishes and colors. Some great builds to pick at for ideas.

Thx for the feedback.

Actually, they were built / appropriated for the mission. The one that sunk on the way, was swamped.

58 minutes ago, tigoe said:

Len,

Looking forward to seeing your take on the Picket Boat.

- Tim

Hey Tim, well you just contributed a fair portion of how it will appear. I thought they were older boats. With a bit of luck I should get started on it tomorrow, I'm just working on mounting rear view camera for my trailer, camping season coming up.

Guest Tim I.

From a weathering perspective, they did travel down to the South hugging the coast. I am sure that wear and tear happened on the journey related to debris collision, salt and a good layer of coal dust (grit).

I went light on the weathering, as I did not want to overstate it. I did scour the deck a bit where I thought there would be high traffic from the crew.

I chose black for the hull, since it made sense to create a low profile -- as it was planned and executed as a night raid.

I hope that is helpful.

- Tim

Hi Len,

I'm looking fwd to your spin on the Picket....I keep the weathering light on mine, thinking that they were fairly new...but at the end of the day it's your boat :):) just enjoy the build

J

Haha, enjoyed a rainy day all day today, not stopped, we were unable to work on the backup camera so I had no choice but do some modelling, took one for the team, as they say.

I'm already loving this build, I have the keel completed, it appears to be square and bang on, very straight forward.

I did have some considerable help from my new power tool, the cordless Dremel 8050, a great buy really made light work of fairing the bulkheads, I'll just have to finish them off when I have all the bulkheads positioned and supported.

Interestingly, the instructions suggest finishing some parts prior to assembling, I'm all for swapping about so I took a look at bulkhead # 4 and added a couple of doors for stowage access, quite pleased with how that came out, the first modification complete, I'm sure there will be many more.

Just a note, I personally enjoy making mods purely for the pleasure and lengthening the build process, please don't take that as a reflection of the model, the model is a dandy.

I have a few changes lined up that I want to include, about the only rule I apply to myself is that it has to be a upgrade, performance improvement or practicality of build, (at least in my mind).

To date the changes planned are;

1 Hide the vertical portion of the keel that is exposed on bukheads 4, 12, 16. This is completed on #4, I'll put a pic up. This will require some trim changes to the decks but that's ok.

2 Flagpole has to go or be moved, I can't see a crew dodging that when they are firing that canon to preserve their lives.

3 Rearrange the transmission/engine installation to make more room for the crew, not sure if this is even feasible yet, but I hope it is. Could make things look very interesting in the plan view.

4 I will hide most if not all the bulkhead sections that come through the deck, I think a combination of grinding a bit off the bulkheads coupled with an additional layer of planks on top of the one piece deck should do it.

5 Coal bunkers look difficult to access, I would like to have an alternate approach to the hinges locations, but no plans established yet.

More to come, if you have any revelations that I should consider I would be eternally grateful to know them. Supper time then it's off to sort those Rebs out.

Len..... Opps, nearly forgot the pic.

58dd87d4474bf_IMG_35301.JPG.44a313a4badba4474a369eceb4431f9b.JPG

#4 bulkhead, note the hidden keel slot.

Hey Len,

Nice start I love the hatch...I think you could move all the engine components aft , it would free up some crew space.  I never could find out how many crew were aboard when she saw action, but I bet it was fairly crowded

It had about 18 crewmen including Commander Cushing.

Wow...looking at the model I amazed there were that many crew...it's a wonder they all fit!

5 hours ago, jct said:

Hey Len,

Nice start I love the hatch...I think you could move all the engine components aft , it would free up some crew space.  I never could find out how many crew were aboard when she saw action, but I bet it was fairly crowded

I'm looking forward to repackaging the engine, I'll keep your thoughts in mind when that time comes.

Just read a response from Tim, he figures 18 guys or there about, they crammed them in ,didn't they? On sheet 2 of the instruction pad it actually states 15 men on board, 2 escaped, 2 drowned the other 11 were captured. Depends where you get your data I guess.

I have the 3 bulkheads that are exposed completed, put a layer of planks on those also, I think it is worthwhile.

31 minutes ago, tigoe said:

Picket boats were traditionally for shore to ship, or interfleet transport while at sea. Think the current day rhib.

- Tim

Hi Tim,

I went through your build log again last night more thoroughly than previously and there is some great data collected in the log. Do you mind if I select a few modifications for my build that you have already done? Great log and a great build.

btw what is an rhib?

Len