Vallejo and AK Weather wood paint and washes

Hey guys! since im back and i have in mind at least 3 project that involve plastic kits i started looking for some tutorials on how to paint wood and so i came across some products and i wanted to know if you have stumbled across these or what do you think about them? thank you so much guys

- Old and new Wood effects by vallejo
- Old and weathered wood by AK
- Wood weathering set by ak

• 2 months later...

Just came to this post. Not to late I hope. I have used the Vallejo set and the Ak weathering set on buildings for my sons model railway. It needs a little practice. An airbrush is recommended. There is also a small book by Ak about wood weathering. 

Regards Götz

Current build: Hanseatic ship 1:50   https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/16089-hanseatic-ship-c-1500-by-goetzi73-150-first-scratch-build/

Completed builds: Nina (Amati), HM Cutter Sherbourne (Caldercraft). Golden Hind (Mamoli)

Next on List: Fifie 1:32 (Amati Victory Models)

On 2017-6-9 at 2:53 PM, goetzi73 said:

Just came to this post. Not to late I hope. I have used the Vallejo set and the Ak weathering set on buildings for my sons model railway. It needs a little practice. An airbrush is recommended. There is also a small book by Ak about wood weathering. 

Regards Götz

Thank you for the answer, i bought the book and the sets also the washes that they recommend in the book but the truth is i don't own an airbrush, i always use brushes, do u av any experience on those with brushes?

2 hours ago, thibaultron said:

Is that the AK 259 REALISTIC WOOD EFFECTS , book?

Yes. It emphasises on AFV Modelling, but the techniques can be used on plastic - or even wood- of ship models as well. 

Current build: Hanseatic ship 1:50   https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/16089-hanseatic-ship-c-1500-by-goetzi73-150-first-scratch-build/

Completed builds: Nina (Amati), HM Cutter Sherbourne (Caldercraft). Golden Hind (Mamoli)

14 hours ago, KAT said:

Thank you for the answer, i bought the book and the sets also the washes that they recommend in the book but the truth is i don't own an airbrush, i always use brushes, do u av any experience on those with brushes?

I like to use the airbrush, because one will get a very thin and even surface. Especially when you are priming the surface. I think using a brush is possible. It's only my personal experience. When you paint on all the small details and for blending you have to use a brush.

Here's an example were I used only the washes on plastic, primed with matt varnish:

20170613_072954 klein.jpg