OK, I know this is a loaded question, because everyone has their own opinion but I would like to see if there is a consensus.  I have read a lot of the threads on this forum and got some great ideas for reading material.  I raided my public library tonight and picked up a sampling of what I think are good writers in this genre (based on input from this forum).  I got (and you have to appreciate that my library has limited resources):

Jullian Stockwin - Treachery

C. S. Forester - Hornblower and the Hotspur

Alexander Kent - Richard Bolitho, Midshipman

Patrick O'Brian - Master and Commander

James Nelson - The Guardship

I have read that Patrick O'Brian invented writing in this genre.  I guess he is the most prolific writer in this era.

I have seen the Hornblower series on our local public TV channel but have never watched them.  

I'm not familiar with the Richard Bolitho series or books by James Nelson.  

I used to read Bernard Cornwell (not mentioned above) and thoroughly enjoyed his novels such as Sea Lord, Stormchild and Wildtrack but they were modern day adventures. After reading that series I found I had no interest in his next Sharpe series. 

I am also intrigued by the fact that the Stockwell Kydd series follows the life of a seaman from just boarding a vessel for the first time through to Kinghthood (I believe, the third last book addresses him as "Sir").  I would love to read this series (if it's worth it) but my library doesn't have the first few novels.  Of course I would rather start from the beginning and continue forward and am willing to purchase the novels in order but I don't want to shell out the investment if the consensus says they aren't worth the money.

Again I realize everyone is going to have his or her own opinion.

I plan to read a few chapters of each book to see what interests me, including story line and writing style.

I would appreciate your thoughts

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

How about one of the original authors in this genre Frederick Marryat. Who actually served during the war in the British Royal Navy.  Mr Midshipman Easy was written in 1836 and is pretty funny to read. Can be found here at Project Gutenberg.  Because this was written in the early 1800s the writing style is...different to say the least.  Many other books of his are also available for free as well.

Thanks Micheal, will check it out tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion and I love the price lol.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I've read all of the O'Brian books and am just finishing Julian Stockwin's Inferno. I started from the beginning with both series. Although both series are similar in that both heroes have a learned friend as a foil, I frankly I found the Stockwin series more enjoyable. Like you said I enjoyed how both start with a young man who knows nothing about the sea who has to learn everything. You learn all facets of life as a seaman from the bottom to the top. You also learn a great deal of the history of the British Navy during this era. I was lucky. Being a member of a club I was able to purchase the entire O'Brian series in paperback along with the companion book Sea of Words ( a dictionary of nautical terms ) for ten dollars from the back table. I also was able to purchase the Stockwin series in used hardcover, most for less than ten dollars with shipping. It's amazing how both heroes took part in just about every part of British naval history.

Current build: US Brig Syren (MS)

Larry Van Es

Former President

Ship Modelers Association

Fullerton California

http://www.shipmodelersassociation.org

trip 134

There are many Dutch books on VOC (Dutch East Indies Co.) history that have diaries of sailors and ship captains of day to day events such as explorations and shipwrecks.

I know most of the members do not read Dutch.  Some books have been translated in English and in German.

Batavia by Peter Fitzsimons is a very thorough historical event of the shipwreck on the Australian Coast.

There is a very good book about the events of the HMS Bounty by a female author. (best book I have read about the Bounty)

Several Dutch and English books have been written about Abel Tasman and Willem Barentsz.

Last but not least much has been written about the VOC in books, PhD thesis's and just general long detailed articles.

Most of these reads are on various websites and free for downloading. I know that the above is specific towards Dutch history and not everyone is interested in that.

Marcus

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

I got started with reading the whole Hornblower series in High School.  Alexander Kent's, a pseudonym for Douglas Reeman, and who just passed away recently, Bolitho series has almost the same storyline as Hornblower.  Both authors are easy to read.

Reeman also wrote a series of books about the Royal Marines, Merchant Marine, and the Royal Navy in WW2.

I just finished the O'Brien series.  Took me awhile to get into his writing style.  I felt he could be quite winded with either too many details, but once I got the feel of his prose, I took a big liking to his novels.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

O'Brien reminds me of James Mitchner in that sometimes the story gets run over by the details.   Even still... excellent reads.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I was looking on Amazon for the various books and found that they had a set of the first three books of the Kydd Series with a "look inside" function.  I clicked on it and they gave the first two chapters of the first novel.  I was hooked.  I downloaded the Kindle version.  I think I will enjoy this series.  However, I'm going to have my dictionary with me for the first while, there are a lot of words I am unfamiliar with but figure it's a great way to learn.

Thanks for all your thoughts and advise.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings gentlemen:

Patrick O'Brian was certainly not nearly the first author in this genre,  whatever he may rank by quantity.  Leaving aside the Marryatt mentioned above (who also write 'The Children of the New Forest',  once a children's classic)  C. S. Forester,  who died in 1966,  wrote the Hornblower series between 1937 & 1962.  It was only after Forester's death in 1966 that an American publisher suggested to O'Brian that he should try writing historic fiction set in the sailing navy era;  which was obviously a great success.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Okay, I'm just gonna come right out and say it: PATRICK O'BRIAN ROCKS!! Whew! There -- I said it. I feel better now. Been holdin' that in a long time.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I've read all the books of each series you mention in your original post with the exception of the last. I've read one or two books by Nelson but not any entire series. I started with Hornblower as a young kid of 12 or so. I started POB later in life. I would place him far and away the best of the genre. His character development and storylines are incredible. He puts you in the era. Hornblower and Bolitho are easier to read and also excellent stories. In fact, I would say my favourite story is of Hornblower drifting down the river Loir to escape Napoleon's soldiers. Excellent reading. It's a bit later in the series though. If you want my suggestion, read them all. Start at book one of the Kydd series perhaps. Or the Hornblower or Bolitho series. Don't start with POB or you'll be disappointed when you move on to the others. Enjoy them all then join the Aubrey Maturine appreciation society group on Facebook. There truly is a cult following of POB.

I see you're in Ontario, Canada. I grew up in Cornwall, a few hours down the river from you. You can access ALL of the books through Inter Library loan. Decide what series, (start with Hornblower I'd suggest) and order each book in turn as you need it. The Hornblowers will read quickly, 150-200 pages of pretty easy reading per book. By the time you reach POB, they're 3-400 pages each and the reading is not beginner reading. Still well worth reading all of them. I have them all on my shelves and read through each series in turn from time to time. 

I'm a big fan of the Patrick O'Brien books, but I would recommend listening to the unabridged books read by Patrick Tull as Books on CD. Tull is great at bringing the dialogue alive and is very good at reading the action scenes. Here is a clip of him reading 

The Hornblower series is very good - not quiet as realistic as O'Brien, but still very good. Hornblower isn't necessarily a sympathetic character, but that is part of his character, which is refreshing.

I really like the Dewey Lambdin books - they are much more modern in tone and jokey, but very entertaining.

Alexander Kent and Douglas Reeman are good, but pale in comparison to O'Brien and Forester - maybe it would be better  to start  with them, so you can appreciate them without comparing the work to the big two.

Not as big a fan of Nelson and the Kydd series. They are good reads, just not as good as the others in my opinion.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

Thanks to Larry Van Es for his post.  I downloaded book one of the Kydd series on my Kindle and so far it is extremely good.   Caution though for us modelers.  If you have built an English frigate or ship of the line from a kit, the details in the book will be interesting but may be meaningless at times without doing a bit of research.   For those that are well  read on these ships and/or have scratch built a fully framed plank on frame model, you will be able to picture the details as if you were there.  If you rigged a large English warship model you will feel like you are part of the crew, be it in the tops, reeving a line through a block or serving and stropping a new block.   Incredible detail to be found in this first book so far.   The more you know going in, the more the book will be enjoyed.  In reading a bit of Julian Stockwin's CV, he has the creds to make me believe his details are quite accurate regarding some of the things that he describes that were new to me.  If there is a down side, his character development leaves a bit to be desired, at least so far. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Stockwin wrote a very nice piece of life aboard a naval vessel in the late 1700's. It's a nice primer for his books.

http://www.mcbooks.com/pdf/KYDDsWORLD.pdf

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

As the title of this thread is "Nautical Fiction Writers" I feel that this is on topic (just).  I've read POB, Stockwin, Reeman, all the authors mentioned in the previous posts.  They all have their good as well as bad points.  It's a matter of taste which you prefer.

Two much more recent nautical books were written by the Dutch writer Jan de Hartog.  The one is entitled "Captain" and details the life of a salvage tug during WW2.  I found it brilliant, here is a review that I found on Amazon:

It’s an incredible chronicle of a converted tugboat used to rescue sailors from sunken convoy ships in the North Atlantic in World War II.

More important, it is the story of a man’s growth from innocence to fear to terror to cowardice to finally conscience and understanding of the inhumanity of the wanton, mass destruction of human life in modern warfare. The Captain presents a convincing argument for conscientious objection to war."

The other book loosely connected, is called (here I'm having a senior moment)  something Jim (can look it up on Google) but I haven't read that one.

de Hartog wrote a number of other books (not nautical), all worth reading.  I think he is a much overlooked writer.

Regards

Pierre

Just Started: Golden Hind scratch build

Previous - Scratch Built :Mayflower  HMS Myrmidon 

Kit: HMB Endeavour

+/- 20 RC Boats:Tugs,Yachts, Skimmers 

4 Miniature Freestyle Sailing Boats

Hmm...  I remember reading, as kid, some books my uncle had.   There were several series...  "The Battleship Boys", "The Air Force Boys" all set in WWII.  They were, honestly, boiler room generated tripe.  Very formula and predicable.  But I do wish still had them if  for other reason than I like old books.

Edit.. I just remembered it wasn't "The Air Force Boys" as it wasn't the Air Force in WWII...  I'll have to do some Googling..  my bad.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hmmm... I found the "Submarine Boys" series.   I'm wondering if the army books were a different publisher.  Rats.....  I wish I had kept at least one.   Oh well... back to ship building. The answer will come when I'm not thinking of it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Of late I have taken to a new author in this genre by the name of Sean Thomas Russell.  For my tastes in reading, I find it a very refreshing take with the main character having to fight off not only the French (Napoleonic era) but also people within the RN, as his wife was French and his loyalty is often challenged.  The first book in the series is "Under Enemy Colours".

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Another author worth exploring is Dudley Pope and his eighteen book Ramage series.  After publishing some naval non-fiction in the 1950's, he was encouraged to take up the genre by C.S. Forester (my personal favorite of the authors mentioned).  I'd characterize his work as similar to Forester and Kent.

Bill

Never read a nautical novel in my life. But being interested in as much as building the kits I decided I would give it a go.

I have just finished reading a none fiction book The Era of the Clipper ship. This was very good and very detailed with info on just about every clipper ever built.

As for the fictional books I have started with the Hornblower series. I am reading Mr Midshipman Hornblower so I can follow him from the start of his carrier. I am only three chapters in and hooked. I will get the whole series. Then I will give some of the other recommendations a go.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

• 2 weeks later...

I am now 1/3 through book three of the Thomas Kydd series by Stockwin and am pretty well hooked on the series overall.   Darn books are going to cost me though at about $9 a pop and a book a week so far. Highly recommend this series.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I too was fascinated with the period novels of O'Brian and Kent. In the past years I have gravitated to more Non Fiction reading as I find the accounting more exciting, emotional and educational. Here is a series of books I found worth reading:

Ian Toll: Six Frigates

Tim McGrath: John Barry An American Hero

Ian Toll: Pacific Crucible/The Conquering Tide/TBD (Trilogy) > WWII Pacific Campaign

James Hornfisher: Neptune's Inferno/The Last Stand of Tin Can Sailors/Ship of Ghosts

Doug Stanton: In Harms Way

Roy Adkins: Nelson's Trafalgar

Stephen Taylor: Commander

Tom Chaffin: H.L.Hunley

Hours and hours of engaging reading!

Joe

Paul, great idea to start at the beginning of Hornblower's career. I have almost the whole set - I've read them all except Flying Colours, and I've lost my "Hotspur" (must get another copy!).

But when you get to "The Happy Return" you may find a few minor discrepancies between it and the other books - it was the first Hornblower book written, and Forester seems to have developed Hornblower's personality somewhat differently in later books about his earlier career (an author's privilege, I suppose). It doesn't spoil the story, though.  

Join your local library. Mine has a lot of those titles, the rest they get through a statewide tracking system. And they notify by phone or email.

Neptune's Inferno was very good. It struck me as a knife fight at night, in a phone booth.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Suggest White-Jacket:  Life on a Man-of-war, by Hernam Melville for 19th Century American Navy life on a frigate. 

Also, there is an unforgettable chapter in Victor Hugo's novel Ninety-Three, about the battle with the canon (from whence "loose canon" derives)  Amazon has a $2 kindle edition version, with period illustrations. 

For us oldsters, suggest Joseph Conrad's Youth. A good short read on a winter eve with a glass of port. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa