Concord Stagecoach by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Model Trailways - 1:12 scale - circa 1862 "Cobb & Co"

Wonderful work Danny,

never had the chance to see the structure of an old stagecoach so detailed and am amazed of what blacksmith work is involved in the truck-work, and what you are detailing in model is fantastic, well done !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I thought I would compete and show you a couple of pictures of my latest chassis!

IMGP4701.JPG

IMGP4702.JPG

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Thanks John and Mike. Mike - What type of coach is it?

Chers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Danny, the wagon I am building is the Conestoga wagon from Model Trailways. It really is a very odd chassis, as they say in the instructions it is like two single axle chassis bolted together. I don't want to steal your log but just a couple of pictures of the finished chassis for your interest.

IMGP4703.JPG

IMGP4706.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Dan, when you first purchased your Stage Coach I followed suit.  I even spent time on the Scale Horse Drawn Vehicle web site (which makes me enjoy this forum all the more).  I have now built ME's Stage Coach, Conestoga, Doctor's Buggy and Chuck Wagon.  The carriage works shown by Mike seems to be the common method of supporting all kinds of wagons.  If I were to put a New England whale boat on wheels, that is the arrangement to be used.

I posted a few videos on YouTube on building the Conestoga that can be found by searching for "Building the Conestoga Wagon."  I append one photo just for fun.

I love what you are doing on the Stage Coach.

WayneIMG_0356rev.thumb.jpg.2ff47a0cef81c2c0632ec642d0428eb8.jpg

Thanks for the pics Mike and Wayne, your models are turning out/have turned out very nicely indeed.

I'm starting to think I have found a new hobby (just kidding :D ). Though I may build another wagon or two.

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

A pretty good day's work - I've completed all the Running Gear on which the front axle is attached :

Top View.JPG

Bottom View.JPG

Head.JPG

This is how the assembly will fit relative to the frame :

Overview.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

To construct the Wheels the kit supplies a jig and pattern. This needs to be constructed first, but it's all fairly simple.

The hardest and most time-consuming task is to sand the rims and especially the spokes. There are 52 of these (14 for each rear wheel and 12 for each front), and each one needs to be sanded to an oval for 1/2 it's length - bit like making a couple of thousand treenails :D . The two piles above the jig haven't been done yet :

Jig 1.JPG

Jig 2.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

Thank you John.

Here's a Progress picture. Wheels still need to be painted, I just HAD to see what it looked like up to now :) :

Progress April 12.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

Of course the wheel hubs stand out a bit at the moment!

Not any more John :D . 1st coat of Primer :

Wheel Primed.JPG

Cheers< Danny

Cheers, Danny

Nice job! I am just the same, can't wait to see what it looks like with the wheels on.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hey Dan!  I just noticed the build in your link.  Ack!  Can't believe I didn't see it.  Glad to catch up though.  Definitely liking the look of this kit's quality over the AL kit - that's for sure.

Having fun doing something of such a different scale?

Thanks Mike, Bug and Jan.

Having fun doing something of such a different scale?

It's all relative Bug - there are details, such as the tiny 1mm nuts, which aren't all that easy at 1:48 :D .

Why did you hide in shore leave!!

So I don't get in trouble with the Admins for posting "off-topic" ;) . Makes no difference that I AM an Admin, rules is rules :D .

Next step is to make the Thorough Braces, Concord's version of suspension. The kit supplies a type of thin gasket material which is a pretty good simulation of leather. It's also quite easy to work with.

First bit was cutting ten 3/16" wide strips from the 3' x 8" sheet supplied. Then I made a simple jig to get the braces the correct length. Five lengths of the strip were then turned around the nails, gluing each end to the previous strip :

Thorough Braces 1.JPG

Thorough Braces 2.JPG

A completed brace. String is used to stop the whole thing unravelling until it's fitted :

Thorough Braces 3.JPG

I've had very few problems with this kit - it's one of the best I've ever done :) . However, there's no margin for error in the amount of material and fittings supplied. Indeed, they didn't supply enough 8 gauge brass pins or laser-cut nuts. So I made my own from offcuts of the pins, and some of the left-over "rubber" material :

Spare Nuts 1.JPG

Spare Nuts 2.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

The Bodywork starts.

There is a jig included in the kit that makes assembly quite simple. As with everything else that's laser cut in this kit it is very accurate. Here's a pic of the start of the assembly :

Frames 1.JPG

The first frame completed and faired. I made both frames in an easy day :

Frames 2.JPG

A frame off the jig :

Frame off the Jig.JPG

The two frames and one lot of external panels primed and ready to assemble :

Frames and Body Panels.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

Beautiful work.  

One word of caution:  the thin gasket material works well for the braces.  But later on it is used to cover the luggage rack and to close in the storage space beneath the driver's seat.  On my coach the thin gasket material has dried out over time resulting in annoying curls.  By now it is too brittle to work back into place.  It is not impossible but I would look for a different material to use when coming to that part of the build.  

If I can I'll edit in a photo later.

Wayne

I agree with that. For my part I used both vinyl leathercloth and real leather, much better.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I built my Concord from scratch and started to construct the sides from framing as in the plans. It got too fiddly for me so I cut out sides from Basswood and carved them out. turned ot retty good but I still like the built up sides. One of these days I'll have to build another the right way. Nice work there Dan.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Thanks Bill.

And thanks for the "heads up" Wayne and Mike, I'll make a note of that.

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

Stunning work as normal Danny

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Danny, just to let you know that I couldn't wait either !!!!

IMGP4708.JPG

IMGP4709.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Very nice Mike :) .

I've sheeted both sides and also made the two doors. Ready for paint :

All sheeted.JPG

Sheeted Outside.JPG

Sheeted Inside.JPG

Door.JPG

The door in place, the gaps are much neater than they look here as I've only roughly supported it for the pic. The hinges are fitted after painting :

Door in Place.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Some of you may have been wondering how long it would take for me to crack and start Kit Bashing - right about NOW :D .

While visiting the Scale Model Horsedrawn Vehicle site I saw a build where the guy had made WORKING door locks. Not to be outdone I thought I'd give it a go ;) . The other guy is building in a larger scale (1:8), so I've simplified my method. The design is entirely my own, a bit of "trial and error" included :D .

Here's a pic of the working parts that I built initially. From the left - the main shaft, the cam pin, the cam, and the tongue :

Door Locks 1.JPG

My first test was a failure - the tongue needed a slot instead of the semi-circular cutout. I'd actually thought of the slot as I was falling asleep last night, but by this morning I'd forgotten about it :D

Here is the mk2 tongue, and the cam silver soldered to the shaft :

Door Locks 2.JPG

My "test bench" where I checked that the assembly had enough "throw" - perfect :) :

Door Locks 3.JPG

The assembly fitted into the door. I still need to make some "locators" to hold the tongue in line, as well as escutcheon plates to hold the shaft in position :

Door Locks 4.JPG

More will follow tomorrow. Stay tuned :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

Hey howya goin Danny mate, nice going there mate looking good I might get this kit. Did you get it in Aussie land or some where else?  :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hi Eddie,

I see you're back on-line again too :D . I bought the kit from Model Expo in the USA about 5 years ago. Model Trailways is one of their brands. I actually managed to get it while they had one of their 1/2 price sales. Here's a LINK to their Wagon line. From the look of the price on their page it'll work out to about $AUD230.00 with shipping and the exchange rate.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

Thanks danny mate, are you going to use the same colour as the box? I see you have a book.  :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.