Concord Stagecoach by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Model Trailways - 1:12 scale - circa 1862 "Cobb & Co"

Hi all,

I'm finally back after a long layoff due to Cancer treatment, not something I'd recommend but it beats passing away. All seems to be OK now :) .

Those of you who remember me (those of you who don't - check my Signature for past Builds) may recall that I had a Model Shipways (Trailways) kit of a Concord Stagecoach which I'd intended to build for one of my grandsons. The time has finally arrived where I feel up to the task.

Here are the "obligatory" pics of the box and it's contents :

Box Lid.JPG

Contents1.JPG

Contents2.JPG

Plans.JPG

Quality of the parts and especially the instructions seems to be of a high standard. Here's a small start to the project, cutting the tenons for the Reaches - the longitudinal members of the chassis :

Reaches Tenons.JPG

Trimming Reaches.JPG

More will follow soon.

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Great to hear the health issue is behind you Danny,I look forward to seeing how you proceed with this kit. I spent hours as a kid looking at similar vehicles in the Science Museum when it had large volumes of models on display.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Welcome back Danny,

its good to see you on deck again.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hey howya goin Danny, welcome back mate good health with you, I'll be following along with this one.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

I echo the sentiment Danny, good to see you back. You may know stagecoaches are a favourite of mine. I have done both the AL version and the Amati which looks more like yours. I didn't know we could do logs except for boats but I will follow yours with great interest.

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Great to see you back Danny and delighted to hear that your health has improved. I'll enjoy following along with another masterpiece.

Right on Danny, I 'll follow along also

Great to see you back on deck again, Dan. Very pleased to read that you have successfully kicked the cancer to the kerb. Count me in for this build, too - I wouldn't miss it for quids.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I was wondering why.........even asked where you had gone to.  no reply though :huh:    glad to know your back and things are looking up for you.   I've always liked these wagon kits.....form what I've seen so far,  I might even get one ;)    glad to follow you on your first project back on the site!   interested to see what mods and changes you make with this kit.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great to see you back Dan! and it doesn't matter if it's a boat or a stagecoach, always is a pleasure to follow your logs..

th.gif

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

Thank you all for the kind "welcome backs" and messages of support. I hope I won't let you down with this model :) .

I didn't know we could do logs except for boats

It's OK as long as you put it in "Shore Leave", which is a Forum for non-ship related topics. This won't be a really detailed Build Log, more a progress report when I have done anything significant.

Forgot to mention earlier, I'm doing the Australian version of the Concord used by Cobb & Co. To this end I bought a copy of the excellent book below to help in researching modifications and colour schemes :

Book.JPG

Here's a pic of a restored coach in the Cobb & Co Museum in Toowoomba, Queensland. I'll build mine similar to this :

Mail Coach 1.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

It's great to see you back, Danny.  You were missed.   I'm happy that all went well with the treatment.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good to have you back Danny. Your Cobb &Co. wagon looks something like our "mud wagon" that was used in these parts of Idaho. Close to the Concord but not quite the same class. It was a more open ride. They have one in Walla Walla Washington about a hundred miles away. If I get by there ,I'll have to post a picture or two.   Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Thanks guys,

A fair amount of progress in the last few days. Bear in mind that while I may know a bit about building ships I know NOTHING about building stagecoaches, so progress is a bit slower than usual as I'm actually following the kit instructions :D . Fortunately the basic techniques of construction are pretty much the same.

Here's where I'm up to - the Frame assembled and waiting for glue to dry before installing the End Plates and nuts on the Draw Bolts :

Frame.JPG

Detail 1.JPG

Some detail of the rivets holding the Standards. The brass looks out of place, I'll do something with them a bit later. Note the U-bolt Clips, made from brass strip and silver-solder "bolts" which have been blackened :

Rivets and Clips.JPG

The Draw Bolts which hold the whole thing together. I squared the heads of brass pins with a hammer and anvil. The nuts are kit supplied and laser cut from some kind of rubber/cardboard composite to simulate iron. As with the rest of the laser cut parts they are of excellent quality :

Draw Bolts.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

Dan, great to read your logs again. Glad your treatments are done.  I'll follow along, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I've completed the Frame, or chassis.

Here are two pics of the Brace Header "iron" work, made from brass, silver soldered and blackened :

Brace Header 1.JPG

Brace Header 2.JPG

This is the assembly in place, complete with tiny square nuts and two 1.3mm threaded bolts and nuts :

Brace Header Installed.JPG

The front and rear Standards are supported by struts, cast from Brittania metal. I've found most of these castings to be adequate without being exceptional. The metal itself is in very good condition, easily bent without snapping (except for 1 piece which was easily fixed). The casting was only so-so, with a fair bit of flash cleaning needed :

Front Standard Struts and Braces 1.JPG

Front Standard Struts and Braces 2.JPG

Rear Standard Struts 1.JPG

Rear Standard Struts 2.JPG

One step that the instructions omitted was to check the fit of the CNC lathe turned Wheel Hubs on the axles. This caused me considerable drama, as the axles were between 0.3mm and 0.7mm too large in diameter. Not too bad for the front axle, which was still unattached, but a lot harder to trim on the already-fitted rear axle. After using a flat needle file to correct the front axle I attempted the same on the rear. 10 minutes later I was still nowhere near doing one side, when I came up with the idea of shaving the axle with a #11 Xacto knife - brilliant :D . It took less than 5 minutes to complete BOTH sides.

The shavings shown in the pic below are from ONE side of the axle :

Trimming Axle.JPG

Here's where I am up to. BTW - the brake mechanism actually WORKS :D :

Frame Completed.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

exceptional work Danny........there'll be a place for you,  if we ever have to go back to 'em ;)   {sure beats knuckle bust'in huh!}    the nuts and bolts,  do they come in the kit,  or did you have to outsource them?   looks really sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye,

The nuts and bolts were kit-supplied.

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

Lovely work Danny, and even nicer to see you back at the modeling desk

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat