Concord Stagecoach by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Model Trailways - 1:12 scale - circa 1862 "Cobb & Co"

I've made up the Boot Leathers, using the kit-supplied "leather" material. Wayne and Mike, I see what you meant about the stuff curling when painted :o . I'm hoping I can rectify the situation.

Boots 1.JPG

I've also made the various straps. The buckles came in the PE set :

Straps 1.JPG

I painted the boots in a colour called Koala Grey. I think it will look quite good when all is completed - the kit pics show a similar colour, though they claim to have given the "leather" a wash of dilute Burnt Umber.

I chose the colour because it's about the same colour as our Koala Bears. It was a little publicised fact that Koala Bears were used to make the boot leathers - they were a lot cheaper than cattle and tasted foul to boot. If word of this had got out the Wildlife Conservationists of the time would have been up in arms :o .

:cheers:  Danny

P.S. I'm pulling your leg about the Koalas being used for the Leathers - none were harmed either in the original production run, or in the making of this model :D . Although I'm not kidding about their taste (I prefer cow any day). Lucky for the Koalas, or they would have gone the way of the Dodo :D .And I don't think there would have been a single Wildlife Conservationist anywhere in the world back then :D .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I've fitted all the Brasswork. I know it looks a bit "blingy" (the pics don't do it justice), but my grandson should like it. He's only 5 years old, and not all that into historical accuracy yet :D :

Fitted (1).JPG

Fitted (2).JPG

Fitted (3).JPG

Fitted (4).JPG

Fitted (5).JPG

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Hey howya goin Danny mate, wow nice clean brass work there mate, looks real good. I do like the roof.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hi Danny nice job on the coach. I read somewhere that the thoroughbraces were more for the horses benefit than the riders or the coach. I think they kept the jolting wagon from jerking the horses around. It certainly would have made the ride smoother. Another word about coaches. The pounding of rocks hit on the roads had the effect of pounding out the steel tires and lengthening them thus loosening the wheels. Its amazing the trivia one picks up when researching projects.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Thanks guys :) .

On the home run now - fitting the Thoroughbraces to the body. They went on a lot easier than I was expecting :) :

IMG_3386.JPG

The brace brackets pinned and expoxied with slow-set :

IMG_3388.JPG

IMG_3387.JPG

Somehow I managed to lose the threaded bar for the main swivel that attaches the Running Gear to the Chassis :( . I made a new bolt by cutting two threads with an Xacto blade, while rolling the bar at a slight angle. It took me about 1/2 an hour, but it worked :) :

IMG_3389.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG

The Thoroughbraces were then attached to the stirrups :

IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_3392.JPG

I'd forgotten to fit the two Brace Irons - not as bad as it seemed at first, I only had to remove the centre pins and managed to slip the ends under their pins :

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_3394.JPG

Cheers, Danny

A few minor things added, like the Running Gear, Brake Lever and Wheels and she's all done and FINISHED. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out :) :

IMG_3395.JPG

IMG_3396.JPG

IMG_3397.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Very nicely done Danny!  Great little project.

Hey howya goin Danny, WOW, so thats what an Australia stagecoach looks like, I'm impressed, nicely done mate. Question those straps you got holding up the coach what would those be made of back in the day, leather?    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

I'm with the others.... very well done, Danny.  Congratulations.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Congratulations on yet another fine build Danny. I'm sure your grandson will be delighted.

Thank you Jack, Bug, Eddie, Mark and Grant - much appreciated.

As Kits go this is one of the better ones, especially at the price :) . I found my Invoice which I'd left in the bottom of the box - $AU145.00 (plus Postage from USA of $AU190.00 :o - the cross we bear in the Colonies :D ).

The Laser Cutting was superb, except for one small piece of 1/32" ply which was a bit "how ya goin' " compared to the rest but still better than most laser cutting I've come across before. The Plans - 4 large sheets with to-scale drawings on most stages plus a lot of Isometric Views, a separate sheet for the wheels, 5 smaller sheets to identify the parts, and a 31-page full colour booklet containing the step-by-step Building Instructions - written in PERFECT ENGLISH BY A MODEL-MAKER :D . Most parts fitted together with a minimum of extra work needed.

My only complaints are minor - 1. A couple of pieces of the Roof Sheeting timber missing, and nowhere near enough of the 8-gauge brass nails from which to make the Suspension Pins etc.                2. The PE for the Rooftop Seat Brackets is far too flimsy and bends easily without a lot of care. A thicker material would have been more suitable.

I give the kit a 9.5 out of 10 :) .

Cheers, Danny

$AU190 just to ship it from US to OZ ???  Holy S*** ! :o Does that include import duty as well.......  ?  Yes, you're right ! That is some cross to bear in the Colonies.

It's all-inclusive Jack. A lot has to do with the size of the package I suppose. Lucky I wasn't in a hurry and went with Express Delivery - it would have raised the bar even higher :D .

Cheers, Danny

A beautiful built coach Danny,

you managed to build it in a remarkable short time, excellent performance !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Well done Danny, another one toad to your tally of brilliant builds.

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Hello Dan very nice job !!!

It was my last finished project 

i have a link in my signature to my model (youtube)

Best regards 

Michael.

"smooth seas do not make good sailors..."

:pirate41:

MY FIRS BUILD : H.M.S BOUNTY (mamoli)

SECOND BUILD :The concord stagecoach 1:12 youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJzCs9umWPI 

CURRENTLY BUILD : H.M.S VICTORY (Caldercraft) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15501-hms-victory-by-michael101-caldercraft-scale-172/

• 2 weeks later...

awesome looking coach Dan,,,the accents are very cool! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 year later...

Dan,

I've never been into carriages but that is an impressive kit and an impressive build.

Notwithstanding, I was looking the Amati Orient Express which is around 700 EUROS, Amati state on their website that postage is free but I haven't tested this theory yet.

RICHMOND

Edited by Richmond
too much waffle

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

Hi Danny...first off ....so glad to hear everything went well for you and happy to see you back here at MSW.... nice build ,looks like an excellent kit... I'm sure your grandson will love it..

again welcome back...

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Dan

Just reviewed your build log now and discovered that you had a bout with the BIG C as John Wayne referred to it.  My wife is also a cancer survivor and has been doing well for the past 15 years or so.  Hope you also have a lengthy bout of good health to follow now.:cheers:

I was just wondering about the fact that major portions of the coach's cab appear to be some kind of plywood product.:huh:  Was that just what they supplied with the kits model material, or was it in fact what the actual coach was made with?  It seems that it would have been something very hard to form in such complex cured shapes, not to mention the fact that I didn't think that plywood was all that common back then. 

As far as your job of building the kit goes, I was impressed with how you were able to deal with the shortcomings of the kit and your improvements to it.  To me, that is one of the aspects of model building that I like the most.  Excellent job! :dancetl6:

Dave

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

How many days before grandson comes in with the coach and says "I dunno Grampa, me and Billy were just looking at it and it broke".....

I have 14 grandkids....I usually make them chairs!..  One is now married and has two of her own, and the chair is still intact.

Still great job, as usual.......

Tom

Ditto to all, congrats on finishing treatment. The Boss finished hers but still has the pet scans and infusions  every 90 days but as you say it beats the alternative. Grandkids will go crazy over this one:cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

On 8/10/2018 at 4:34 AM, BETAQDAVE said:

I was just wondering about the fact that major portions of the coach's cab appear to be some kind of plywood product.:huh:  Was that just what they supplied with the kits model material, or was it in fact what the actual coach was made with?

As I mentioned somewhere in the Log Dave, I know NOTHING about Stagecoaches. So the answer is I DON'T KNOW :D. I merely followed all the kit's instructions - first time in a long time ;).

Thanks all for the well wishes and comments. The grandson loves it, and it's still intact after 18 months :).

Danny

Cheers, Danny

• 3 weeks later...

Nice looking model Danny, looks as good as any I saw at the South Kensington Science Museum when I lived in England.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:34 AM, BETAQDAVE said:

I was just wondering about the fact that major portions of the coach's cab appear to be some kind of plywood product.:huh:  Was that just what they supplied with the kits model material, or was it in fact what the actual coach was made with?  It seems that it would have been something very hard to form in such complex cured shapes, not to mention the fact that I didn't think that plywood was all that common back then. 

As far as your job of building the kit goes, I was impressed with how you were able to deal with the shortcomings of the kit and your improvements to it.  To me, that is one of the aspects of model building that I like the most.  Excellent job! :dancetl6:

Dave

Plywood? Egads!!! No plywood in a Concord coach. 4'x8' plywood sheet as we know it wasn't commercially available until 1928 and even then it suffered the limitations of the adhesives of the time. Glued veneers were around beginning in the 1850's but not suitable for outdoor use. It wasn't until shortly before WWII that adhesives technology had advanced to the point that "engineered wood" was suitable for exposed applications. The war production USN PT boats and Higgins landing crafts were some of the first and more well-known applications for it and, as the saying goes, "they were expendable."

Concord coaches were distinctive for the leather strap suspension, which made for a far more comfortable ride on rough American roads, particularly in the West. They were made of oak, ash, and basswood (to save weight.) The wood was solid and shaped with hand planes using the same techniques used in wooden boatbuilding. All metal fittings were iron. Made in Concord, NH, they were widely used in the US and also exported to Australia and South Africa. I don't know what they cost then, or in today's dollars, but they were by far the most expensive coach of their time and remained in service in some places into the early 20th Century.  A fair number have survived and been restored. It's not unusual to see one in local parades in the Western United States. They are "Old West" icons these days and very cool.

Growing up in San Francisco, there was (and I guess still is) an original Wells Fargo Co. Concord stage coach in the lobby of the Wells Fargo Bank headquarters lobby museum.  I never miss the chance to stop by and check it out when I'm downtown. There's one in the Wells Fargo Museum in Sacramento, Ca., too.

WF.Stage+Coach.1.jpg

wellsstagecoach.jpg

14 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

Plywood? Egads!!! No plywood in a Concord coach.

WF.Stage+Coach.1.jpg

Yeah, I know ;). But as I said at the beginning of the log - I don't know anything about building stagecoaches, so I went with the kit directions :).

BTW - not a bad replica of my model that they have in the bank's museum :D.

Danny

Cheers, Danny