Dan Vadas

Concord Stagecoach by Dan Vadas - Model Trailways - 1:12 scale - circa 1862 "Cobb & Co" - FINISHED

I've made up the Boot Leathers, using the kit-supplied "leather" material. Wayne and Mike, I see what you meant about the stuff curling when painted :o . I'm hoping I can rectify the situation.

Boots 1.JPG

I've also made the various straps. The buckles came in the PE set :

Straps 1.JPG

I painted the boots in a colour called Koala Grey. I think it will look quite good when all is completed - the kit pics show a similar colour, though they claim to have given the "leather" a wash of dilute Burnt Umber.

I chose the colour because it's about the same colour as our Koala Bears. It was a little publicised fact that Koala Bears were used to make the boot leathers - they were a lot cheaper than cattle and tasted foul to boot. If word of this had got out the Wildlife Conservationists of the time would have been up in arms :o .

:cheers:  Danny

P.S. I'm pulling your leg about the Koalas being used for the Leathers - none were harmed either in the original production run, or in the making of this model :D . Although I'm not kidding about their taste (I prefer cow any day). Lucky for the Koalas, or they would have gone the way of the Dodo :D .And I don't think there would have been a single Wildlife Conservationist anywhere in the world back then :D .

I've fitted all the Brasswork. I know it looks a bit "blingy" (the pics don't do it justice), but my grandson should like it. He's only 5 years old, and not all that into historical accuracy yet :D :

Fitted (1).JPG

Fitted (2).JPG

Fitted (3).JPG

Fitted (4).JPG

Fitted (5).JPG

Hi Danny nice job on the coach. I read somewhere that the thoroughbraces were more for the horses benefit than the riders or the coach. I think they kept the jolting wagon from jerking the horses around. It certainly would have made the ride smoother. Another word about coaches. The pounding of rocks hit on the roads had the effect of pounding out the steel tires and lengthening them thus loosening the wheels. Its amazing the trivia one picks up when researching projects.

Thanks guys :) .

On the home run now - fitting the Thoroughbraces to the body. They went on a lot easier than I was expecting :) :

IMG_3386.JPG

The brace brackets pinned and expoxied with slow-set :

IMG_3388.JPG

IMG_3387.JPG

Somehow I managed to lose the threaded bar for the main swivel that attaches the Running Gear to the Chassis :( . I made a new bolt by cutting two threads with an Xacto blade, while rolling the bar at a slight angle. It took me about 1/2 an hour, but it worked :) :

IMG_3389.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG

The Thoroughbraces were then attached to the stirrups :

IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_3392.JPG

I'd forgotten to fit the two Brace Irons - not as bad as it seemed at first, I only had to remove the centre pins and managed to slip the ends under their pins :

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_3394.JPG

Hey howya goin Danny, WOW, so thats what an Australia stagecoach looks like, I'm impressed, nicely done mate. Question those straps you got holding up the coach what would those be made of back in the day, leather?    :bird-vi:

Thank you Jack, Bug, Eddie, Mark and Grant - much appreciated.

As Kits go this is one of the better ones, especially at the price :) . I found my Invoice which I'd left in the bottom of the box - $AU145.00 (plus Postage from USA of $AU190.00 :o - the cross we bear in the Colonies :D ).

The Laser Cutting was superb, except for one small piece of 1/32" ply which was a bit "how ya goin' " compared to the rest but still better than most laser cutting I've come across before. The Plans - 4 large sheets with to-scale drawings on most stages plus a lot of Isometric Views, a separate sheet for the wheels, 5 smaller sheets to identify the parts, and a 31-page full colour booklet containing the step-by-step Building Instructions - written in PERFECT ENGLISH BY A MODEL-MAKER :D . Most parts fitted together with a minimum of extra work needed.

My only complaints are minor - 1. A couple of pieces of the Roof Sheeting timber missing, and nowhere near enough of the 8-gauge brass nails from which to make the Suspension Pins etc.                2. The PE for the Rooftop Seat Brackets is far too flimsy and bends easily without a lot of care. A thicker material would have been more suitable.

I give the kit a 9.5 out of 10 :) .

Just catching up after some time away, Danny.  Your coach really looks superb!

Just as a sidelight - this photo is of the Cobb & Co. Station at Wanganella, down in the Riverina.  perhaps your coach called there on occasions.

John

56439 - Cobb And Co Station Wanganella 1200x899.JPG

Posted (edited)

Dan,

I've never been into carriages but that is an impressive kit and an impressive build.

Notwithstanding, I was looking the Amati Orient Express which is around 700 EUROS, Amati state on their website that postage is free but I haven't tested this theory yet.

RICHMOND

Edited by Richmond
too much waffle

Hi Danny...first off ....so glad to hear everything went well for you and happy to see you back here at MSW.... nice build ,looks like an excellent kit... I'm sure your grandson will love it..

again welcome back...

Frank

Dan

Just reviewed your build log now and discovered that you had a bout with the BIG C as John Wayne referred to it.  My wife is also a cancer survivor and has been doing well for the past 15 years or so.  Hope you also have a lengthy bout of good health to follow now.:cheers:

I was just wondering about the fact that major portions of the coach's cab appear to be some kind of plywood product.:huh:  Was that just what they supplied with the kits model material, or was it in fact what the actual coach was made with?  It seems that it would have been something very hard to form in such complex cured shapes, not to mention the fact that I didn't think that plywood was all that common back then. 

As far as your job of building the kit goes, I was impressed with how you were able to deal with the shortcomings of the kit and your improvements to it.  To me, that is one of the aspects of model building that I like the most.  Excellent job! :dancetl6:

Dave

How many days before grandson comes in with the coach and says "I dunno Grampa, me and Billy were just looking at it and it broke".....

I have 14 grandkids....I usually make them chairs!..  One is now married and has two of her own, and the chair is still intact.

Still great job, as usual.......

Tom

Ditto to all, congrats on finishing treatment. The Boss finished hers but still has the pet scans and infusions  every 90 days but as you say it beats the alternative. Grandkids will go crazy over this one:cheers:

On 8/10/2018 at 4:34 AM, BETAQDAVE said:

I was just wondering about the fact that major portions of the coach's cab appear to be some kind of plywood product.:huh:  Was that just what they supplied with the kits model material, or was it in fact what the actual coach was made with?

As I mentioned somewhere in the Log Dave, I know NOTHING about Stagecoaches. So the answer is I DON'T KNOW :D. I merely followed all the kit's instructions - first time in a long time ;).

Thanks all for the well wishes and comments. The grandson loves it, and it's still intact after 18 months :).

Danny