Philadelphia by Elijah - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale - Continental Gunboat

Great job indeed! The end result is what really matters and if you found a method that achieves a finish you like, then it is the right way! :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2017 at 10:49 AM, Elijah said:

Thanks guys! Mike, those in the picture are dividers. They were used to transfer the plank widths at each bulkhead to the plank. The compass is not pictured, but was used to establish the curve of the plank. I'll show some pictures of that soon.

Glad to see someone else using them. They can serve a lot of different purposes. With planking and decking I find them very helpful.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again! It might have taken a while, but I had fun with it! I finished the outer hull planking. I think I enjoyed it more this time because I had a better idea of what I was doing. Anyway, here are the pictures.

IMG_20170711_155140537.thumb.jpg.b33418fe0277a14d86c5b504edb3bd20.jpgIMG_20170711_155243078.thumb.jpg.5b7af3e302b491eeed5005684fbcbe23.jpgIMG_20170711_155347749.thumb.jpg.d0f1d9845d19680d1b5f6cef6c6df5db.jpgIMG_20170711_155405080.thumb.jpg.d5916408e8d1fd60724eeabe0432e54c.jpgIMG_20170711_155425777.thumb.jpg.d83aa146b8c8090ad72d468f5a518ab5.jpgIMG_20170711_155653598.thumb.jpg.232ffaa636e6ad6c88610265663ea4a2.jpgIMG_20170711_155528021.thumb.jpg.90356e517ef271145273d98b9d13103b.jpgIMG_20170707_174519470-EFFECTS.thumb.jpg.50e6370c859d58219104197b28670422.jpg

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Excellent planking Elijah! More knowledge and practice certainly does make these jobs much more enjoyable. Your skills have grown by leaps and bounds over the course of your last build and into this one. I see a lot of great builds in your future!! :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Looking good!!! 

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Great pictures! looking very, very nice!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Bow looks very symmetrical - well done. In addition to your boat building skills, your picture taking skills have taken a step up as well.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Thank you very much guys! The likes and comments are greatly appreciated!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

On 7/16/2017 at 7:21 PM, Elijah said:

Thank you very much guys! The likes and comments are greatly appreciated!

And well deserved!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I should let you know why there have been no new updates. I've been gone for a week and yet, will be for another! I'm itching terribly to finish the ceiling planking and move on to the more fun deck details, such as the deck itself, the knees, storage chests, and all the other fun stuff! In the mean time I'll be sitting here thinking about planking rather than actually doing it. Oh, well! I guess we all have to wait sometimes...

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

As the mentor said.. "Patience, Grasshopper, patience."   B)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I've often wondered if I need a vacation from the builds. I've taken several with family but I always bring plans, books, etc  for reading material.

Elijah,

No sweat. I just took a 4 month lay-off to move, and am now glad to be back.  I just caught up with your build log. SUPERB work! I will be following along.

Good work Elijah!

I have the bottom strake to go before I finish the exterior planking. So much 3-4 day travel over the last few (and next) weeks that it's hard to forge ahead.

Are you planning on adding the nails to the exterior in some fashion? The photos seem to show nails rather than wooden pegs. Fresh water boat maybe?

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the ceiling planking! I don't think it's perfect at the ends, but I don't plan to tear it all out and get new wood. It was a fairly simple process of soaking, bending, and gluing. Anyway, here are the pictures.

DSC_0008.thumb.JPG.fa2bbebd973c65eaa956a1d00ec3397f.JPGDSC_0006.thumb.JPG.58e98aee3e472d34dd7a59d7931aa86e.JPGDSC_0004.thumb.JPG.6b7c41e72c61fba869bfbb9ef8f0a1ae.JPGDSC_0003.thumb.JPG.d5712597fffa3bea5e7fc85ecef2c41c.JPG

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.098c389b2df2f5c19f5dba75c7773505.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

Next up is the deck planking! :D

Edited by Elijah

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Nicely done! the planking is looking great.

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

The wood is beautiful!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thanks Ian, JP, and Jesse! I have yet to finish the wood, but I think it looks fairly nice. 

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Lovely job on the exterior and interior planking.   The basswood looks great.   How do you plan to finish it.  You could use a wipe on poly with no stain.  Just to finish it.   But if you want to apply a stain to give it color I recommend minwax gel stain.  Its a great product and I have had good success with it.  I prefer the honey maple color gel stain as it gives only a slight darkening to the basswood and leaves no blotches.  Just test on some scrap planking first.

Chuck

A little sanding to smooth things out. You could also try some filler HOWEVER if you go the route Chuck described stay away from things you apply to the wood. Filler or the glue/sawdust mix will almost guarantee some color inconsistencies when stain is applied. On the other hand inconsistencies can add a lot of character to a build but it's mostly luck.

Keep it up Elijah.

Thanks Mike and Chuck! Do gel stains have a glossy finish similar to furniture, or do they have a semi-gloss better suited to represent the boat as it was?

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

All of the above and a satin that has almost no shine.

Gel stains have no shine at all.  Its a pigment.   It just colors the wood.   Then you apply a protective finish over it which can be satin.   

Chuck

Nice! It sounds like that should work! What would you use as the protective finish? I'm going for a not very shiny look, so satin sounds about right.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

I usually use a satin finish wipe on poly after letting the stain dry for a day.   But remember test it out on some scrap first.  Prepare a planking sample.  Prep sand the wood with 220 grit sandpaper and try the stain....it will be slightly darker.    Then try some scrap planking with 320 sandpaper and apply the stain...it will appear lighter because you have left less "teeth" so-to-speak and with a smoother surface not as much stain will penetrate.   With gel stain you apply and let sit for ten minutes and then wipe it off.   Then allow 8-10 hours to dry if not over night.  The next day lightly sand and apply the satin finish wipe on poly.