Wasa by Andre - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your compliments!

I had made/adjusted my bow entry doors inspired by the pictures of the model in the Wasa museum and by the ones of your build !

The reference picture that you have found with seven musicians as pillars is actually of the interior. On page 108 of Landstroms book there is a very similar picture where he starts describing the interior cabins.

Completed:

Catalina from Mamoli (1/32)

European small river ship (scratch build) (1/50)

Currently building: Wasa from Corel (1/75)

Future: Titanic (Mantua), Batavia (Kolderstok), Friesland (Mamoli), Bismarck (Hachette), Prins Willem (Corel)

Yeah, above the helmsman bench theres an angel orchestra. Andre, your rail looks really nice and in tune with the rest of her, I know I have lots of details that is not on the real ship, that I did before getting reference or missinterpreting them or by choice. Heck I even went my own paint job "wrong" on purpose, to get the effect and look I want. I think you can be really really proud of your model.

I find it interresting with the small different details on every model. There are some stuff that is different on the 1:10 also,

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Cute details. And so the colours. They all give a superb outlook. 

Cheers,

Paweł

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your compliments!

I had made/adjusted my bow entry doors inspired by the pictures of the model in the Wasa museum and by the ones of your build !

The reference picture that you have found with seven musicians as pillars is actually of the interior. On page 108 of Landstroms book there is a very similar picture where he starts describing the interior cabins.

Yes, that makes more sense. I have tried to find this book. Out of print, it seems. One is available through Amazon (a third party vendor) but he wants $275.00 USD  Hmmm don't think so - Oh well.

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Michael,

You were right about the railing in the Corel drawings. Your second and third picture of your post of Sept 1st are identical to the drawings of my Corel model. I had not looked into them for a while, and now I did notice (again) that indeed the railing is on the drawings, as depicted in your pictures.

But the 1:10 model in Stockholm does not have that railing at that location..

About the Landstrom book: the prices are somewhat less high if you look via Amazon in the UK.

Completed:

Future: Titanic (Mantua), Batavia (Kolderstok), Friesland (Mamoli), Bismarck (Hachette), Prins Willem (Corel)

Andre,

Regarding the Landstrom book interesting updates;

I found several links that had downloads of the complete book available for free. I forwarded those to my son who "filtered through them" I was worried about corrupted files laced with malware. My son happens to be a computer genius (in fact he works at Google in N. California)

In the interim, I figured that all of these "free book" offers were false, so I negotiated a better price with the Amazon vendor I mentioned earlier. He agreed to my offer, and he lowered his price on Amazon asking me to purchase ASAP at the lower price. In the meantime my son  located a good link and sent me an Ebook english version. Whoa great book with so much information, awesome drawings.

I felt badly about the Amazon vendor (I was going to let him know that had changed my mind). But that was not ethical, since we had negotiated in good faith, so I also purchased his book. So now I have both versions Oh well (:-) I should get the paper book this coming week.

Sorry about the personal stuff, but thought that you might find it interesting.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Micahel,

Nice to read your efforts to obtain the book. I have the e-book edition as well. Very nice book with great drawings, indeed.

I would also honor a previous agreement for buying/selling, like you have done.

Completed:

• 3 weeks later...

I have made some additional parts on the inside of the hull: the wooden beams to which the ropes are attached (I do not know the names for these parts...).

And I have made the stand. Previously, I had my Wasa on a 'working stand', but the view and appearance of the model on a proper stand is much more appealing. The pictures give a view of the complete model as it is now. My next efforts will be on the hand rails.

post-1291-0-62178500-1380224144_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-38876800-1380224147_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-07390000-1380224146_thumb.jpg

Completed:

• 1 month later...

The last weeks I have been busy making the hand rails. First step was bending beams into the approx 90 degrees curve, but it was difficult to bend such sharp curves... Second step was thinning the beams using my (newly acquired) electric cutting machine. I made the beams about 2.0 x 1.6 mm. Then painting one side yellow, for which I used the same paint as I used on my other yellow parts.

I did realise that the 1:1 model has square rods supporting the hand rails, but I could not think of a method to drill/make square holes in the lower rails. Therefore, I decided to use round supporting rods, as can be seen in the pictures below. The rails rest on the round rods, which have a diameter of 2 mm.

In the pictures below the results can be seen.

post-1291-0-51916000-1383758603_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-49990800-1383758602_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-23728200-1383758601_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-14576100-1383758600_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-94760000-1383758598_thumb.jpg

Next will be the cannons and the gunports...

Completed:

Andre,

Nice update. Your railings look excellent. Nice work.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Looks very good Andre. I was also planning to add these handrails as these are not in the Corel kit but are on the original.

your construction looks very good, but I am a little bit afraid that this will be a fragile construction, specially when working on the rigging later on.

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Jan,

Thank you for your respons.

I have the impression that the handrails are quite sturdy and hope that I do not have problems with it during rigging. I will have limited space for the belaying pins because of the hand rails above it and some rods for the hand rails are close to the holes for these belaying pins...

Completed:

Andre,

I applaud you for taking on this resurrection. Your eyes saw what others did not. A ship drowning at her mourings, forgotten. Once a model takes shape it becomes something more. It becomes a ship, a place where men lived and died, sacrificing all for their love of the sea. Their blood over time, is the sap returning to the wood to give life to the vessel they serve.

A ship is greater than the sum of her parts. She is historian of every soul she took to sea...

You have done a beautiful thing..

Warm Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great - I love the colours

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 2 weeks later...

Insprired by Michael (md1400cs) I have made two rope blocks that are placed on the weather deck. I used my milling machine to make the grooves. I added only a brass axis inside of them and no pulleys, as it will function like this as well. It took some filing to fit them between the railings.

post-1291-0-76254900-1385922296_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-32022700-1385922298_thumb.jpg

I have been working on the gun ports. I decided to not use the lids that came with the ship, but made them myself. From 5 mm beams I made beams of 10 mm by glueing them together. Then sawing them into pieces of 10x11 mm. Next I made from very thin wood the red inserts of 9x8 mm. I painted the hinges into metal color and painted the lion heads as well. In the photo there are only 47 gun port lids. I missed three sets of hinges, which I ordered now.

Next will be to attach them to the ship...

post-1291-0-91941600-1385922291_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-49967600-1385922294_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andre

Completed:

Andre,

Your milling machine work is very accurate. Nice work. Thanks for mentioning me in your idea. Nice of you. Very nice paint work on your lions looking very good. You now gave me inspiration for how to paint mine. I will follow your example. Thanks

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 4 weeks later...

The last few weeks I have been working on the gunports, the hinges and have attached them to the hull of the ship.

I have attached the hinges using bent nails, which I had seen on this forum as a good method. The gun port openings of my hull turned out not to match always the size of the gunport lids, but this is no problem to me, because they will be open anyway. It took a lot of patience to attach all 50 gunport lids.

The pictures show the ship when I was half way with attaching these lids, and afterwards.

post-1291-0-39210000-1388148482_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-14399700-1388148481_thumb.jpg

Next, I placed the guns as well. The holes drilled by the previous builder were not always in the middle, and I have adjusted it as much as I could to have the guns in a continous row when looking along side the ship. The results can be seen, as I have included pictures of both port side as starboard side.

post-1291-0-03415800-1388148477_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-89979500-1388148475_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-74573200-1388148474_thumb.jpg

I have to wait to attach the ropes to hang the gunport lids in the correct angle, because first the wales and the chainplates need to be in place. I have made the wales myself using nutwood beams. The picture shows my wales, coomparing them with the kit supplied versions. I have attached the wales to the ship using some metal pins (from nails) to have them secure in place.

post-1291-0-57200700-1388148473_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-28300200-1388148472_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-38300300-1388148470_thumb.jpg

I have also added the extra gunopening at the upper deck. Corel was so nice to send me two of these rings when I e-mailed them that I was missing two of them. The pictures are before and after.

post-1291-0-45278500-1388148479_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-34377300-1388148478_thumb.jpg

Completed:

Andre,

Beautiful update. She is looking excellent.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 1 month later...

Like some others on MSW building a Wasa, I am currently working on the chain plates. I find it very difficult to prepare these items, so that they look ok, fit well and function satisfactorily, all at the same time.

Following on the example from Mark, I have bought aftermarket chainplates from Amati, as well as triangular deadeyes.

I have built the Amati chainplate as it is intended, but I am not really happy with it because of its bulky part to fit the deadeye. (picture: second from the right/bottom)

Next I tried to follow Marks example by bending the plate and fitting the wire around the triangular deadeye, but I did not succeed in bending the wire around the deadeye and then be able to fit the wire properly. As a modification on this, I replaced the brass wire by very strong yarn (ijzergaren in Dutch) and knotted the deadeye to the vertical part of the chainplate. (picture: at the right/bottom)

In the picture, there are two more/different chainplates: at the left is an example as was built by the previous builder (before my restoration), but there were only a few still attached to the ship when I obtained it. The second from the left, is after replacing the circular deadeye by a triangular one.

post-1291-0-78177100-1392066745_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-31157500-1392066747_thumb.jpg

I will appreciate your comments about by intention to continue with the yarn-version (the one at the right/bottom). Of course, I will paint it as well.

Completed:

Mark, Matti,

Thank you for your encouraging words. I appreciate that very much !

I have bought the triangular deadeyes, which were relatively cheap and could be ordered in the amount desired.

Andre

Completed:

Andre,

We are at the same place, yes difficulties to get them correct looking is an issue. In my opinion your bottom right corner ones look the best. I would continue with those, since you asked. A very time consuming part of the build....and a part that is very visible as well, so I understand your more than one attempt to work out a solution. Good luck (:-)

PS: Triangular would be the most accurate, but you will need soooo many in three different sizes hmmmm..

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 3 weeks later...

Earlier I decided to use the Amati chainplates by using only the base of it, but when I was sort of finished with preparing them all, I noticed that I had not ordered enough. So, I looked in my box with ship fittings and noticed same thinner brass parts that could also serve as chainplates. And to my surprise I had a lot of these parts. Therefore, I decided to use these found parts to turn them into chain plates.

In the first picture they can be seen, after bending and painting them black.

I have also started attaching them to the hull. Earlier, I had left spaces in the whales where the chain plates would go. They are not somewhat thicker, and I will need to compensate for that in the finishing wood that will be attached to the whales. As I expected, I had to remove some gunports to be able to drill holes for the chain plates. The results can be seen in the pictures, of the port side of the ship. Next will be the starboard side... Of course, I will paint the brass nails black, with which I fixed the chain plates.

post-1291-0-62463200-1393790813_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-43643500-1393790812_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-85155400-1393790809_thumb.jpg

Completed:

Andre,

Looks really good. I can't tell from your photos, but did you pre-align the angles of the chainplates so that when the shrouds are attached with the deadeyes everything will line up correctly? Just a suggestion (:-)

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael,

I did align the chainplates' angles so that later the deadeyes and shrouds will line up. But I fear that I did not manage that 100% correct because of variations in my bending of the chain plates and on variations of the holes that I drilled. I did check with rope attached to the mast for the pre-aligning.

Thanks for your comments!

Completed: