Hello from a rookie

Hey everyone,

I've been browsing through some builds on here and wow - you guys (and girls) are good! 

I'm new to model ship building, but have always been fascinated by the models. I have built plastic models in the past, mostly cars, and for many years I've built and painted miniatures for war games like Warhammer 40k where I've done some basic customization. 

I'd like to try my hands at ship building but I'm not sure where to start. I originally looked at the Rattlesnake, but after looking at some builds on here I'm wondering if that's too complex for starters? On the other hand, solid hulled models sound like they're aren't going to give me the challenge I'm looking for unless I'm not understanding what all goes into the construction. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really like the Napoleonic War era, and I'd really like to stay on the warship side if possible, but I couldn't track down something simpler than the Rattlesnake.  I'm also curious what type of tools are considered a must for me. I have simple things like pin vices/small bits/Dremel, etc. but not much for wood working since I've always worked with resin. I definitely don't have any hull shaping tools that I've seen sold on websites. 

Thanks for any advice you may have! 

Welcome aboard Dollburger,

Can you please tell us your real name?

I leave the advise to our more experienced modellers.  But one of our members, Adam (SkerryAmp)  has created the Model Ship World Ship Kit Database You can search the database on skill level, manufacturer, scale, kit type etc. It is certainly worth having a look.

For tools, you might have a look here, in the articles database.

I wish you smooth sailing and happy modelling.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Nice to meet you Adam,

Just look around and enjoy all the possibilities this forum has to offer you.
This is a great place to learn and share tips and techniques.
If you have any questions, just ask, you'll find plenty of help, advise and encouragement from everyone. 

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Welcome to MSW Adam! Good to have you with us. Anja gave you a great link for the tools and ideas for starting kits. Only things I would add is first with tools, start simple. Buy what you need as you need it and the blow to the wallet won't be as painful. As for ships to start with, stay simple for the first one. Even if it looks like it may be too easy, (solid hull for example) there are going to be challenges that you have not experienced before. Bending wood for planking, shaping the hull, having to build almost all the parts out of rough lumber and of course the rigging are things that most people have not had to do or only at a minimum coming from the plastic side. I speak from experience! In fact, my first wooden ship was the Rattlesnake. I had built plastic ships before but I quickly found out I was not fully prepared for wood ships and should have started smaller.

The other thing I tell everyone is to find a ship that speaks to you and peaks your interest. Read up a little on different ships that you find kits for and see if one has a history that catches your attention. Sometimes if the ship has a story that you find fascinating it can help motivate you to build her better and push through those tougher spots. No matter what ship you decide upon we will be here ready and willing to give advice, guidance or just friendly support.

Good luck to you and I look forward to seeing what you decide on!  

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hey howya goin mate, welcome.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

The Model Shipways armed pinnace is a beginner-level kit that has been successfully built but a goodly number of members here. Naval cutters are also good first projects; check out Caldercraft's Sherbourne or Victory Models' Lady Nelson. Caldercraft also offers a number of other small vessels that might appeal to you. There has been a spate of great new kits put out by a number of less well-known manufacturers (Dusek comes to mind) - take plenty of time to browse through the build logs and check updates in the Traders & Dealers section.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

And another welcome from me Adam.

You have come to the best model ship forum around. Once you have a chosen model you will get plenty of help.

Choosing the right kit can be daunting. I personally find the smaller scale beginner level kits a bit too complex. The intermediate kits are better value in my book. I find the bigger the scale the more easy the pieces are to handle. That said I do have a smaller kit and they can give you a good challenge.  hope you find what you want soon and look forward to you starting a build log,

I use Cornwall Model Boats for all my modelling needs. here is a link to give you an idea http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/mantua_models.html. Not sure how long it takes for them to ship to the sates but they are very fast with their deliveries. They seem to be popular with a lot of modellers.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Welcome to the hobby from southern California. In picking your model pick one that you really like. If you don't  love the model you won't stick with it when the going gets rough.

Current build: US Brig Syren (MS)

Larry Van Es

Former President

Ship Modelers Association

Fullerton California

http://www.shipmodelersassociation.org

trip 134

Welcome to MSW from an old WI cheese head.  My two cents would be to go with something simple but not too small a scale.  My first wooden ship was the Challenge, an A.J. Fisher kit at 1/8" scale great lakes schooner.  That was an enjoyable build, but the scale was a real hard one to deal with for a first attempt.  I built it for a former Coast Guardsman so I had motivation to plow ahead with it anyway.  I had previous experience with 1/8" scale plastic ships but a lot of the small parts in those kits (especially in the rigging), were actually out of scale and easier to handle.

Perhaps the Dancing Feather by the same company would be a better choice as the scale is a bit bigger at 3/16" scale.  The rigging is a lot simpler than a square rigged ship, something that a first time builder can find to be quite frustrating.  Check out their new website at www.ajfisher.com.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Wow thanks everyone! I have been looking around more, and will keep looking through all of your suggestions! 

In thinking about solid hulls, I do like the look of the Dapper Tom from model shipways - and a price of $119 is certainly reasonable for my first attempt. It looks to be back ordered, does anyone happen to know if that's a permanent back order, or if they do make more still? 

*edit typo

Hi Adam,

Welcome to MSW.  You've received some pretty good advise on starting out.  I'll just echo that "start small" and go from there.  The first kit I bought was the Billing's Wasa.  The first kit I built was a smallish AL Scottish Maid, though.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

G'day Adam, and welcome to MSW from Down Under.

Good advice from Vince in that last post - if you like it you're more likely to keep going with it :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi