Wardell Bridge and boat by Tecko - Small - 1:72

That's the name plate... we call it the same thing.   I thought it looked familiar and now to remember where I've seen it before.

Great news on the health report.  Keep up the good work.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Andy and Mark.

I will be missing for a few days updating my drawings (plans and schematics) for this project. I need to do this before I start forgetting what my notes actually refer to.

Will be back shortly, hopefully with some more pictures.

By the way, the Shire Council has updated the landscape around the bridge. A new pathway has been installed. It looks quite good.

I will include this update with the landscaping I plan to do for the diorama.

Cheers.

Peter.

Current Builds:  Wardell Bridge, Bridge on River Kwai, ADLIB-1, and the U-2540

• 4 months later...

I was wondering what was happening - good to see this again.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Hi fellow builders. Yes I am back for a short while and then out again, much like being a sailor I suppose :D.

Road gets painted in similar way to the bridge road, but its bitumen instead of concrete.

5a31b353ea709_79_BridgeSt_Paved.jpg.769062c977e6668df93858493579d854.jpg

Peter.

There is this house in the way of the project. About 80% of it is within the display boundaries. So a house has to be built.

IMG_2728-cropped.jpg.af2f3e8641f4b05fadbd1d9ba29a6e76.jpg

The model house.

5a324ede2e4c9_74_BridgeSt_House.thumb.jpg.531f257c40aec69b1783473cce532047.jpg

Yes it has rooms - for a reason to be explained later.

5a324f13390ed_75_BridgeSt_House(2).thumb.jpg.51fbc971126c6597c7f7c316f98d254e.jpg

5a324f77d63ae_76_BridgeSt_House(3).thumb.jpg.873d0d5dce1f27e70722f8d2316d8233.jpg

For those who may be wondering; Yes I did build the house before painting the road.

5a324fba19b20_77_BridgeSt_House(4).thumb.jpg.91c86998afc1fce380b6e72fa60a5ab5.jpg

Decided to have five rooms, each with its own room light. I used some electronics to switch on and off the lights in sequence; in 15 second intervals.

It won't be too noticeable with the display under a bright light. However, it will look good if the display gets dimmed down a bit.

Clockwise: Design drawing; Testing board; Etched circuit board; Front room illuminated; Circuit board which is now located under the display table.

5a32504e9a21b_78_BridgeSt_House(5).thumb.jpg.224c7313b3711102a01f655ff437099c.jpg

Peter.

Remember when I built the bridge I left a space in the railings for the swing gates? Well, those gates got made.

About a month ago I received an email containing a photo of the bridge when they used the gates. This was a breakthrough for me. Previously I was only going by what others described to me. But seeing is believing as they say.

swing-bridge-over-richmond-river-near-ballina-in-new-south-wales-nsw-aj5f6t.jpg.cdd52ada1f1f8b3dd07848d2c30efe8a.jpg

So I got started with making the four swing gates.

5a38d9ece9db6_82_Bridgegates(1).jpg.13d2b47b5b1d0faa1c84016525ea1891.jpg

5a38d9f25e768_83_Bridgegates(2).jpg.e0fbe4ffa250acb4f53092b21d4814b0.jpg

These flat bits are lever arms which are linked in parallel with the servo arm.

5a38d9f8008e9_84_Bridgegates(3).jpg.27ea255953ce6e33cd8836f632764923.jpg

Edited by Tecko

Peter.

Thanks Hans for thumbs up.

to continue:

Got a servo controller circuit working for this particular RC servo model.

Here you can see the different pulse widths needed for the actuator to move about 90 degrees.

5a3a1ffe37418_85_ServoControllerTesting.jpg.de0b9998b76a2cdf2d1142d438e249a0.jpg

Made four servo controlling circuits on one board. These will operate the four gates that close across the bridge road.

Each gate servo can be adjusted to their OPEN and CLOSED positions via their trim-pots (blue blocks).

5a3a20a827f77_86_4GateServoControllerPCB.jpg.2f8a1b4ffed244c1474425658af932f2.jpg

Peter.

Its all looking very professional. Impressive.

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

On 24/12/2017 at 5:43 AM, Tecko said:

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all.

And to you too Tecko.

The project is developing really well. Very interesting.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

• 2 months later...

Hello all. I've been busy since my last post to this thread. Some may have realized that I started on a small boat kit. It was my first model kit build, and lots of things were learnt from it, but nothing compared to the average model ship builder. Have gained much respect for those here who build ships.

Anyway, I thought I better catch up with my downloads to where I started building the small boat for this Bridge and Boat Diorama.

To carry on from above. The servos and swing gate axles needed brackets so the two, via lever links, can work together. These are fixed under the display table, under each swing gate.

EQJHAMo.jpg

These microswitches are stationed over the swing gate axle lever. The switches will indicate when the gates are fully opened and closed - for other circuits.

xBAHZfJ.jpg

The motor circuit is being tested. Discovered that the span would raise to top of towers in 4 seconds, which is too fast. To slow it down, without having to add reduction mechanisms, I opted for a drop in volatge supply to the motor. Halving the voltage almost double the time to raise the span (to about 7 seconds).

Njxsc9s.jpg

Also discovered that the motor (unloaded) drifts to a stop when power is switched off. This is important to know, because the sensors used to disable the motor needs to be positioned to allow for such drifts. That is, the span motor must be turned off just before docking onto the bridge.

Bwa5qOP.jpg

The making of the span and boat motor control circuits. These circuits control the motor shaft direction (clockwise and counter-clockwise rotations).

NVcYVtm.jpg

cZDleNR.jpg

Peter.

Thank you @hans, @Jack12477, @paulsutcliffe, and @druxey for your responses.

A while ago I bought a pack of plastic figurines. Not sure if they were 1/72 or 1/74 (OO gauge) scale. The tallest figure is an inch (25 mm).

Painted quite a few figurines. Half of them are painted as shire council workers in high-visibility clothing.

Figures 3 and 4 in second row are similar figures, but (4) is my first operation with a relocated arm. This, as many of you know, opens up to all sorts of possibilities. 

DzNWhfE.jpg

Peter.

All that electrical stuff (even though my Dad was an electrical engineer, and even though I realise the circuits are actually relatively simple in the grand scheme of things) makes my brain hurt. I have great respect for people who can make all this stuff work.

I like your figures. Looking good. By the way, if you want to add shadows to faces etc there are some good tutorials on youtube. Makes them look even more real. I've tried in my own small way with my own figures, but I doubt I'll ever reach the quality of the examples in the tutorials.

Steven 

Hi Techo, just found your log and what a great subject to see and learn about. Enjoyed getting up to date and look forward to your future contributions.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Techo,

This stuff is very cool.

I know the bridge, been over it quiet a few times in the travels from Queensland to NSW.

So many techniques and putting it all together in this working model.

Love your skill.

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Wow, thank you @BANYAN, @Louie da fly, @DaveRow@hexnut, @KeithAug, and @Jack12477 for your responses and 'likes'.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, here comes my first boat build.

It is a boat that traverses under the bridge. It travels up and down stream but does not do a u-turn. So when it comes back it is not to look as if it were revesing. To get around this, I bought two wooden boat kits so I can make a boat of symmetry, a boat with two bow sections.

CAMNLtt.jpg

I cut the keels, decks, and cabin walls in half. Glued bow sections together. Started planking the boat.

Could not justify buying a planking iron, so I used a method seen on the Internet. It simply used a tea-candle and a tin can. This worked fast and efficiently. Was able to heat bend the planks to curvature of hull quite easily.

tXmyZaE.jpg

Determined the waterline and marked the bulkheads, using the cabin ceiling as the horizon.

Then I planked the waterline and built up the planking in between.

itzAeAU.jpg

Then I filleted the boat like a fish. Sanded the base flat and smooth.

gyZed18.jpg

Edited by Tecko

Peter.

Nice work, Tecko. It's all coming together nicely.

I haven't tried the tea-light and tin can method for bending planks, but you make it look so easy it looks like I'll have to give it a go.

Steven

1 hour ago, Louie da fly said:

...I haven't tried the tea-light and tin can method for bending planks, but you make it look so easy it looks like I'll have to give it a go.

Thanks for encouraging words.

Steven, be careful not to touch the can, it gets very hot. Best to clamp can to table top, with a thin piece of wood in between.Then hold one end of plank against the tin can with the edge of a flat screwdriver. Then after a few seconds, apply pressure down on other end of plank with hand. The rest you will work out for yourself to your needs.

The funny thing is, I already used a similar setup for keeping my coffee mug hot, in winter, in my work area.

You will notice it has two triangular inlet air vents, and a series of holes across the top to keep the air fllowing. Otherwise the candle light sufficates. Believe me, it took several attempts, on the same tin can, to get the air flow just right. It sure keeps my cuppa nice and hot.

o1WbfzF.jpg

Peter.

Thank you @oneslim, @BANYAN, and @hans for your 'likes'.

Made some extras that did not come with the kit, including two sets of red and green nav light hoods.

GdMDSgZ.jpg

The kit winch did not come with winch drum or driving mechanism. Painted a plastic figurine and placed him on a wooden piece as if on a box.

PPyMsOH.jpg

Stained some doors and roof panels with cloured inks. Added bits of copper wire to represent door hinges. Painted four life-savers to look like tyres bumpers. Unravelled some string to make the deckhand look as if he is doing some rope splicing.

IOId8lx.jpg

Used a bit of wood putty on the hull and gave it a good smooth finish (it will get painted).

Made some eyelets for rigging from a paper clip. Drilled and glued them into place.

4UjP3w7.jpg

Peter.

Thank you @hexnut, @KeithAug, @druxey, @oneslim, and @BANYAN for your 'likes'.

Made several LED cables. All LEDs are 3 mm and clear until lit. It makes for less confusion especially for the red and green nav lights.

Only one LED lead needs sheilding for insulation. The black mark on lead is to tell me which is the LED cathode (K)/(-).

Z0hCf25.jpg

Used the end of a pen as a beacon housing.

kR1hqYW.jpg

Added copper wire railing on cabin roof.

Qkc0LQQ.jpg

The front cabin walls were too thin to contain any interior lighting. Made a light shield and reflector to compensate.

YnV2Vfy.jpg

Made stern light hoods. Added nav light hoods, and a radar unit.

qnZV8Xa.jpg

ZfToJBP.jpg

Edited by Tecko

Peter.

4 minutes ago, druxey said:

But...if the boat does not turn around, won't you need to swap port and starboard nav light colors every half trip? ;) 

Yes.

That is why the LEDs are clear when off.

Each bow section has its own wheelhouse, with its own red-green nav lights on its roof.

The above image showing the lit green and red LEDs are located along one side of the boat; signifying the changover from port to starboard, and from up- and down-stream.

Peter.