Wardell Bridge and boat by Tecko - Small - 1:72

Just curious, Tecko, did the inspiration for this come from watching river ferries?  The few that are left (it's been 20 years since I've been there so I don't know if there's even any left) along the Mississippi (the bigger ones) have dual controls and the lights do the same thing.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Just curious, Tecko, did the inspiration for this come from watching river ferries?  The few that are left (it's been 20 years since I've been there so I don't know if there's even any left) along the Mississippi (the bigger ones) have dual controls and the lights do the same thing.  

No Mark. Never watched river ferries along the Mississippi. Its just a solution I had to work out if I were to use navigational lights.

I did not have to use the lights, but did so as an educational exercise for the museum visitors.

Peter.

Current Builds:  Wardell Bridge, Bridge on River Kwai, ADLIB-1, and the U-2540

23 hours ago, druxey said:

Oooh. Very clever!  And I thought I was being smart. 

You are smart druxey. Without being questioned or given suggestions I would end up doing things I have to undo later. So I am grateful for your smarts. :cheers:

Peter.

Added deckhands having a conversation.

2wFibjQ.jpg

The name of the boat is BINGAL, named after the aboriginal name of the place before Wardell (where the bridge is). Bingal reminds me of the word 'bingle', which means 'collision'. The boat is a collision of sorts with two bow sections. To play with the words, an added bingle occured on deck as well.

Altered a plastic figure to make him look as if he tripped over the rope.

DchdtXc.jpg

Peter.

Obviously a case of too much hooch.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Very clever Tecko; a little humour to keep the viewers attention is a great idea.  This will be a very interesting diorama.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you @KeithAug, @mtaylor, @BANYAN, @prutser, @Jack12477, and @*Hans* for your reactions. Much appreciated.

Started building the boat vane.

The gap in the table is 3 mm, and I am using 2 mm aluminium plate for the vane.

Electrical connections, or tracks, must reach the boat from under the table, to operate the nav lights.

A printed circuit board (PCB) is 1.5mm thick, leaving a 0.5 gap if the PCB is mounted within the aluminium plate.

So here is my attempt to create this by-pass.

HTVe0mj.jpg

The slots in the vane is to allow bulkheads to fit in.

Wcj3hzZ.jpg

Making brackets for both the PCB and the base plate.

oOEfYAT.jpg

Made the PCB and attached it to the vane. 

TjlJSLP.jpg

Have ordered some parts to further my progress with the vane section.

Will return to this later-on in this build log.

Edited by Tecko

Peter.

I do not only hit the like button as many times as possible because this is a nice topic, but also really like all the electrics you are doing!

It's a bit like electrickery (with copyrights on this for Catweazle)

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

@*Hans*, I have not seen Catweazle before, until now on YouTube. Very funny. Would like to have seen it in Australia. Also, thank you for compliment.

Thank you @KeithAug, @druxey, @BANYAN, @oneslim, and @prutser for your 'likes'.

Completed the boat.

The rigging string, as someone previously suggested, got pre-stretched since November (I think). I added weights to either end of a lenghth of string, and hung it over a door. Since rigging the boat, we had over a short period of time, both high and low humidity. Neither effected the tension of the rigging, so I am very pleased about that.

rhVJbo9.jpg

xizdcUI.jpg

I really enjoyed building my first vessel. Though it is only a small boat, I have learnt a great deal from putting her together. This introductory exercise has increased my respect for model ship builders. It may turn out to become a new hobby for me.

Edited by Tecko

Peter.

Let me the be the first to welcome you to the dark side Tecko :)

Nice work on the boat.

cheers

Pat

Thank you @BANYAN@Farbror Fartyg, @Tigersteve, @*Hans*, @druxey, @mtaylor, @oneslim for your 'likes' and comments.

Started doing something about the empty space on the left side of the diorama. It needs some sort of side-line attraction. I have a few ideas, and one of them is to have a bit of drama on the bridge. The police farce force has a broken down highway patrol car approaching the headlights. Another policeman, from behind the car, will be halting other approaching cars,

The blue flashing light will be only ON the same time the orange traffic lights flash _ for fifteen odd seconds (at start of bridge operatations).

FSqLv2m.jpg

Somewhere on the south bank there will be a angler, appearing to have caught a fish.

nzJHySR.jpg

Peter.

Thank you @BANYAN, @oneslim, @John Allen, and @mtaylor for your 'likes'.

Decided to build another boat using the leftover stern sections from the kit. This boat will be a Buoy Tender, called CLEM-PETER, named after the two museum members who had built a diorama showing the different types of buoys and navigational signages around the Port of Ballina. Their display will be replaced by this Bridge and Boat(s) diorama.

tLVT3ny.jpg

dkMOd9O.jpg

4kiaT1l.jpg

F2z7Zff.jpg

53DoJms.jpg

S5yygrI.jpg

Peter.

Wow. Thank you @Omega1234, @jablackwell, @oneslim, @John Allen, @BANYAN, @KeithAug, @mtaylor, and @prutser for your 'likes'.

Decided to add a bow section to the wider end. The bulkheads already in place did not allow me to deepen the bow section.

However I still carried on the best I knew how at the time.

G0V2V68.jpg

Needed to bend planking wood at a sharper curvature. Decided to made a variable curvature plank bending mould.

As I was planking the bow I realized I will eventually need to use wood putty. So I changed tactic and only placed planks to hold the putty.

BPurrtT.jpg

Decided on the cabin type and started to build this from 3 mm Masonite.

VFGEjo0.jpg

Peter.

Very nice work Tecko; that is some serious alteration.

cheers

Pat

Thank you @mtaylor, @BANYAN, @Mike Y, @druxey, @Omega1234, @John Allen, and @oneslim for your reactions. Much appreciated.

Yeah, sometimes it's fun, especially when it works out okay. :D

Had a bit of a headache working out how to attach the overhanging roof. So I placed a block of wood inside and secured it with a screw at either end. Then made window frames to fit in the gap, gluing only ceiling end of the frames. Then took out the block to complete the construction.

M0NCx0L.jpg

Peter.

Thank you @Omega1234 for your response. Yes, a big part of the satisfaction of building a model is overcoming the difficulties. Many modellers are happy for their models to come together easily. Yet many of the same modellers would not part with the ones that were most challenging.

Thank you @mtaylor, @KeithAug, @John Allen, @oneslim, and @BANYAN for your 'likes'.

Decided to take a break from making the boat. My mind was getting too preoccupied about the buoys and crane part of this model.

I needed an old unserviceable buoy which was found aground near the Wardell bridge. This storey will give reason for the CLEM-PETER to be in the vicinity. It's task is the pick up the old buoy and replace it with a new buoy somewhere downstream.

Had fun making this buoy. It looks like a giant squid. I have an image in mind that will use that appearance to its advantage in the diorama.

Used an old broken broom handle, red Biro casing, and thick copper wire.

vhAyenI.jpg

ITtVWSY.jpg

Peter.

Thank you @*Hans* for your compliment; and others who liked it too.

Thank you @RichardG, @mtaylor, @BANYAN, @John Allen, @*Hans*, @Omega1234, and @oneslim for your 'likes'. Much appreciated.

Since the squid buoy is so big, it needs a big crane.

Used scrap wood and nails.

9DAtKYh.jpg

cKCn6uw.jpg

nvTEEaT.jpg

Peter.

Nice scratch building Tecko; will there be a replacement squid buoy on the vessel ready to go into the water?

cheers

Pat

Thank you @Jack12477, @BANYAN, @oneslim, @druxey, @KeithAug, @GrantGoodale, @mtaylor, @Omega1234, and @*Hans* for your reactions.

Glad that you are liking the crane (one of my first toys as a child.  A pulley-cable system ^_^).

Used black cable and aluminium foil for the hydraulics.

RmP7zyg.jpg

Iy7yG4y.jpg

hVSV4TG.jpg

Used pin heads for mounting bolts.

fRzJeRm.jpg

Peter.

That looks really good mate; excellent job on the smaller details - looks very 'authentic'.

cheers

Pat

Super looking crane.  It looks like it would actually work.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you fellow model builders @BANYAN, @GrantGoodale, @paulsutcliffe, @druxey, @oneslim, @Omega1234, @KeithAug, and @mtaylor for your reactions.

Thank you Pat and Mark for your comments. Much appreciated.

All we need now is a brand new red buoy.

As usual, an ad hoc assembly of found items.

xVog2EI.jpg

mDuCOHh.jpg

DCd6Mkb.jpg

kAYnmcs.jpg

Peter.

Ah... updated the buoy in the process.   Looks super.  Do the solar panels generate any electricity for the lights/horn/bell????  Just kidding...

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

4 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Ah... updated the buoy in the process.   Looks super.  Do the solar panels generate any electricity for the lights/horn/bell????  Just kidding...

Thank you Mark. I take that as a great compliment.

Peter.