Wardell Bridge and boat by Tecko - Small - 1:72

I agree with Pat and Druxey - what a great way to have something small as a 'touchstone' to keep the memory of your friend. It's such a great way to add personality, and to make the whole scene 'real.' It's those little things that are what will make this 'diorama about a bridge' so compelling - it's really a diorama about the place and capturing a moment of the life within and around it, with depth and story that may never be known or appreciated, but just being 'there' adds that hard-to-pin-down lifelikeness that makes one connect with the whole thing.

Great job, and wonderful tribute.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

A wonderful piece and a fitting tribute to Muz.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 months later...

Hello again. My body has been getting regular attacks of low-grade fever from an internal infection. Seems to have subsided. 

While this was going on the local council snuck in a floating wharf on the south bank.

82Cjdem.jpg

zFPkULg.jpg

EABL6sP.jpg

nbtpfZX.jpg

Edited by Tecko

Peter.

Current Builds:  Wardell Bridge, Bridge on River Kwai, ADLIB-1, and the U-2540

Nice work mate - I hope you get over the infection soon.  I had been wondering why we had not seen an update for a while.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 4 weeks later...

@lmagna, @Jack12477, @BANYAN, @BenF89, @mcpwilk, @michael mott, @druxey, @oneslim, @mtaylor, @paulsutcliffe, and @DBorgens.

Thank you all so much for your support and encouraging comments. Needed them more than you realise.

Finally got through making 24 square feet of surafce water by using paper mache technique. It was one job I had lots of apprehension about, but not as intense as the one that is coming up - painting it.

Anyway, as usual I started with the least noticeable section of the display (far left corner) and worked my way to the more noticeable (near right corner). Hoping I will improve the technique as I progress. This became true, and had to return to earlier sections to patch it up a bit.

2wBaFVG.jpg

bhVPCzD.jpg

3fc5Bbp.jpg

gi26KdZ.jpg

0zd0Xbu.jpg

Peter.

Very nice effect Tecko, you're on the finishing stretch now despite the daunting task of painting :)

cheers

Pat

Lovely work, I especially like the boat wake

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Oh boy, I sure stuffed up the paint job. Only done 1/10th of the water. Started along the river banks. The dirty water look became too brown, opaquish, blotchy, and dark on outer edge. 

Q0GzFJC.jpg

It's been a long time since doing any painting, and have forgotten basic principles. The rest of the river will contain blues and greens, which is not mixed with the brownish areas already painted. Need to repaint what I have done with a better colour mix. But first, I need to paint a background tone to get rid of that stark white as a comparison. 

Hope to improve on this.

Peter.

Doing better than me mate; I wouldn't even know where to start with these sorts of colours :)

cheers

Pat

Thanks guys for your support and confidence in me. Sure hope not to disappoint. The following is just a start. Got half way with the basic blending one shade with the next. Once the basic coverage is done, there is still lots more to do. I still have lots to learn with using acrylics.

Starting from waters edge, I was assumed the water/wet mud and rocks would look darker, yet mliky due to dirty water. As the water gets deeper, the milky dirt browns take over. Then green got mixed into it (according to some silly plan of mine). :blink:

J8qoqWh.jpg

mCKFDnM.jpg

LaNQM2h.jpg

Lots of detail stuff to be added later. Hoping the overall effort will improve the general appearance of the river. We will see.

Peter.

Getting "water" to look realistic is a very difficult goal. The first photo - the long shot - has a very lifelike look to it, with the blending of the brown at the shoreline. I look forward to seeing your progress on it. It's certainly off to a good start.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Peter,

Very nice, like the way you added the bridge fenders when you add the tie cables it will be a nice added touch. Rivers in an estuary that have a tidal flow actually have tide lines like offshore that have color changes due to fresh or salinity of the water, they can be very defined like what you have. Depending on what part of the polluted planet you live on these delineation lines can be defined further by floating trash or fresh and or salt water grasses or pods of floating duckweed.

Regardless this is a very fine build Kudos :cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Thank you Steve and John for your supportive comments. Today I feel much better about the whole colour scheme, even if it is not what is seen at Wardell.

After finishing the basic colours for the river, I went for a needed bike ride. It has not rained for over a week and Richmond River, near the ocean, is very clear. Could not help notice a similar teal colour to what I have been painting. Took photos to show that such waters are not too overboard as such. Though, 20 miles up river, where Wardell Bridge is, is still dirty green.

0exPGBd.jpg

So far . . .

RsW6xHu.jpg

Peter.

Nice work with a lot of detail.
My compliments.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thank you my friends. 

Just to clarify why I added a card strip along the back edge of display. As I painted the water surface, I would also paint the card strip. This strip gets transposed onto the bottom edge of the canvas. It will be a water colour reference for the background of the diorama. The canvas painting will be in oil paints, my preferred painting medium.

8LWujP3.jpg

The painting will only look, in perspective, from the console operator's point of view.

Below, is an idea of what the background will look like. As you can see, it will be mostly sky.

84TbnKa.jpg

Peter.

11 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

I agree. The colouring looks really good and lifelike.

Steven

Thanks Steve.

I still think its quite bright; definately so for the actual area where the bridge is. However, for the purpose of showing depth, it certainly does that. Now here is some good news (for me anyway). The Ultra Gloss Clear Timber Varnish, which I applied on a test trip long time ago, has yellowed. This means that there will be a very slight darker glaze to the finish, with a hint of dirty yellow. It will, over time, dim the water colouring down. Plus make the blue slighty green, and the green slighty dirty water (yellowish) green. I think it will be better in a year's time (like wine).

Peter.

Color of water is influenced by the sky; it changes constantly and is a moving target. It drives artists crazy trying to 'catch' a certain mood! Sp, whatever colors you end up with, no-one can say whether you are right or wrong.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

4 hours ago, druxey said:

Color of water is influenced by the sky; it changes constantly and is a moving target. It drives artists crazy trying to 'catch' a certain mood! Sp, whatever colors you end up with, no-one can say whether you are right or wrong.

Thank you for supportive gesture. Greatly appreciated. I am pleased with the painted effect, for its educational purpose.

Yes, the sky colours can be seen in the water, dependant on angle of reflection.

At a shallow angle it often reflects a lot of the sky background colours. But at a steeper angle one is more prone to see the degree of water clarity and its chemical make-up (like in satellite imaging).

Due to curvature of water riples, the sky colours get reflected in them. That is why dry brushing the water crests with a lighter colour gives it that extra sense of realism. This sort of detail will be one of my next steps with painting the water.

I have to say, with modelling, one gets to learn how to think outside of the 'normal' box of knowledge. One starts to 'see' more about what they are modelling than the normal observer. When it comes to painting, we start to study not so much the item but its colours. Determining what colour mix to use, is it reflective, shadows, etc,. I am hoping that the gloss finishing coats will be reflecting some of the outside colours, such as the watermark colours of the Buoy Tender, and the bridge footings. We will soon see if it does.

Peter.

Ha, love it

Regards

Paul 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

LOL....    I love that Kraken.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I am surprised that the Kraken isn't hugging the buoy being retrieved over by the shore, they look like cousins! :D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

:) :)  Nice idea for grabbing the attention of the younger generations Peter

cheers

Pat