Wardell Bridge and boat by Tecko - Small - 1:72

Thanks fellows.

Lou, that was funny, yet could seem bonkers 😮

Sorry to show similar images. 

Spent the whole day dry-brushing the water surafce with lighter shades for the water crests. When it dried I was glad that it went darker, as previously explained. Now it's not so noticeable. Yet the whole water surface became slightly lighter shade

V0Hlv02.jpg

ekn1Scq.jpg

Still lots of little touch-ups required. Then a three day drying period is needed before applying the varnish. Each coat requires 24 hrs drying time. Looking forward to see how it will look then.

Peter.

Current Builds:  Wardell Bridge, Bridge on River Kwai, ADLIB-1, and the U-2540

Not much to see here, or to say. Just a few touch-ups is all I had time for today. I am too tired after riding a 25 mile race. All the way I did not see one rider in front of me.

Played around with the bridge footings at water level. Tried to give a better impression than just cement and coloured water.
9r2SJAp.jpg

Then decided to add other sea creatures besides the kraken.
d1kOkzs.jpg

sGXOJpy.jpg

May get the kids to count how many jellyfish there are.

Edited by Tecko

Peter.

What Druxey said.  Maybe add some "mud" from the spring rains to the piers for high water marks above the weed/algae.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks @druxey, and @mtaylor for your suggestions. I like the idea of the slight dirty water line on the footings. But will leave out the weed since I have not yet seen that there. However, that is as far as I am willing to go with the weathering (which I have an aversion for). ;) 

Peter.

Well, I gave it a go and I have to say I disliked it. Sorry.

vepDHt7.jpg

IMHO

A & B looks too out of place considering the colour of the water. It may look like that in real life, but it irks me. If the museum suggests that it ought to have a dirty flood line, then I'll tell them to get somebody else to paint it.

C looks okay because the water colour is similar.

D looks like closer to a brand new bridge that has not yet seen a flood.

It's not easy to paint around the footings under the bridge. If I put a dirty mark around the footings, then I'll have to do the same for the fender piers. . . and you can forget about me doing that.

So, I am going back to D. I am sorry If I have disappointed anybody about my decision. 

Edited by Tecko

Peter.

7 hours ago, druxey said:

It's your creation; you are in charge - not us!

Yes I know. I have been sharing this build and my thoughts for so long now that you and others have become my friends. I am like this with friends at home too. In most cases I am my own man, other times I am not.

It was a great idea, but I did not foresee the contrast in colour which persuaded me to go back.

Peter.

I think it’s admirable you tried it out in the first place! No shame in seeing for yourself and deciding what you like. As others have said, it’s your creation, and it is quite the feat as it is! Keep up the great work.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

I still liked @druxey idea of weathering the footings somewhat. So I visited our Missingham bridge to study the footings. It had some barnacles on it.

SazsJ3u.jpg

Decided to follow this example. Only used various shades of grey to neutralize colour comparisons. Exagerated the barnacles to make it look like barnacles at such a small scale. Also attempted to add some reflection on the water that was more greyish than before.

q6S3125.jpg

Cleaned up the wharf. Added another submerged tentacle to the kraken (near side). With the gangway in place, the kraken will be partly hidden (a sneaky fellow). Painted the fish and jellyfish swimming away from the kraken.

S2QeH66.jpg

Peter.

That looks REALLY good, Tecko! I only wish I could be up there to see it in person.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

I love what you came up with.   Just because we offer suggestions doesn't mean you need to accept them.  I'm like Steven, I'd love to see this in person.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks everybody for your likes and comments. Much appreciated.

14 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I love what you came up with.   Just because we offer suggestions doesn't mean you need to accept them.  I'm like Steven, I'd love to see this in person.

Thanks Mark. I know I don't need to accept anybody's suggestions. But the ones I do follow are because their suggestion is better than what I have in mind at the time. In this case, I gave the suggestion a go, but did not turn out as I hoped. Still liking the suggestion, I pursued a different approach, and it was good. So, I am glad for the original suggestion by @druxey.

Peter.

Tecko, that water is incredibly convincing! I've bookmarked your build so I can steal your ideas when I go to make a diorama.

Steven

Looks really good mate - love that small boat heading for the pier with the surprise in store for them (Kraackin) :)

I am driving up your way later this month; if you are not otherwise engaged would love to pop in an see this beauty?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

38 minutes ago, BANYAN said:

Looks really good mate - love that small boat heading for the pier with the surprise in store for them (Kraackin) :)

I am driving up your way later this month; if you are not otherwise engaged would love to pop in an see this beauty?

cheers

Pat

Thanks Pat. I sent you a PM.

Peter.

• 4 weeks later...

To stop the boat at either end of traveled distance, an optical-switch is being incorporated. The switch is triggered when the boat vane cuts the light beam between its 'U' structure. Two sets of brackets are needed for both ends. The switch needs to be positional to compensate for any vane drift after switch-off. In other words, I can position it to have the vane stop before crash into end of travel (slot in display table).

Changed design of track supports. It already is supported at both ends, so it does not need to be also screwed to slot braces (as in original drawings). Instead, another track support will be placed half way along the track. This will stiffen the track and eliminate any sagging.

3T6vVKB.jpg

E8LvgcN.jpg

You will notice two slots per side bracket. Originally it was to be one long slot. I realized that the centre portion was not really required, so I left it in.

fFCUlxl.jpg

Peter.

When I look at this stuff I go all vague - far out of my league. But then I've always thought anything more modern than a water wheel is an instrument of the devil 😉

I kind of like this sound better.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hi Pete, you've made some progress since I saw your diorama.  I like the engineering you are using and assume the light beam (optical switch) is a better option than a limit switch at each end?

Folks, having seen this diorama I can say that the actual construction looks even better to the eye than the photos show; a testament to Pete's artistic abilities.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

1 hour ago, BANYAN said:

Hi Pete, you've made some progress since I saw your diorama.  I like the engineering you are using and assume the light beam (optical switch) is a better option than a limit switch at each end?

Folks, having seen this diorama I can say that the actual construction looks even better to the eye than the photos show; a testament to Pete's artistic abilities.

cheers

Pat

Thanks Pat for complement. I take it that your trip was a success.

The optical switch is the first sensor. Because the pulley motor is not a stepping motor, there is a drift of the axle rotation on switch off. Meaning that the vane will continue traveling for about 1/2 inch. Also, the optical switch applies no resistive tension to the traveling vane. However, I will be using a microswitch (limit switch), placed near end of maximum travel, to ensure shutting off the motor; in case optical switch fails. This will be seen later in the present build.

Edited by Tecko

Peter.