kurtvd19

WI Maritime Museums 41st Annual Model Ships and Boats Contest

Wisconsin Maritime Museum’s 41st Anniversary Midwestern Model Ships & Boats Contest  -  May 19-21, 2017.    A NRG Associated Contest.

There are a lot of great activities planned and we expect a big crowd! If you haven’t been able to make it for a couple of years, you don’t want to miss this year! Help us celebrate 41 years as the longest running juried model boat contest in the nation.

In addition to this year’s Contest, there will be a special visit to the historic Kahlenberg Industries plant on Friday afternoon. With its rich maritime history dating back to 1895, this company is the lead manufacturer of sound signaling equipment (ships air horns) as well as shafts, and propellers. The company’s history of innovative marine engine-building is featured at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum. Enjoy a personal, 45-minute tour by vice president Erick Kahlenberg – space will be limited so register early.

Friday evening features a private gathering at the Museum to share cookies and other treats and visit with your fellow modelers.

Saturday afternoon will feature two speakers.  Bob Steinbrunn will tell us how he made his award winning model of Smuggler.  This model won the first place award in last year’s Masters Contest that was open only to Gold medal winning models from previous competitions.  Our other speaker will be Alex Deery who will tell us about  “An Innovative Way to Measure & Interpret Wanda III’s Curves” which is Alex’s current project.

To see a great write up and photographs by Scotty Dayton about last year’s event and to access complete information and registration forms go to the museum’s web site.

http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/special-events/midwestern-model-ships-boats-contest-and-display/

Please note that this year all registrations must be received by May 5th !

Questions?  Reply here and I will help you.

Kurt

DSC_2256.JPG

DSC_2257.JPG

DSC_2280.JPG

Just a reminder that the Contest and Show is only 3 weeks away.  Per the previous post please note the registrations are to be received by May 5 so we can get all the forms and name badges etc. done up.  Still room on the tables for more models. 

If you are planning to come just to see the show or hear the speakers it's fine to just pay the museum admission fee w/o any need to register.  The Saturday evening banquet absolutely needs pre-registration as we must give the supper club an accurate count on Wednesday (4 days before) so accommodating last minute additions can't be done (unless we have a cancellation).

Kurt

The S S Badger is the last coal fired Steam Siip on the Great Lakes - runs between Manitowoc and Ludington, MI - if you are coming from the east take the ferry and avoid the Chicago traffic.  The lighthouse sits just east of the Museum - can't guarantee that the gulls will be cooperative for photos.  The PBR (1/12 scale) had an exact replica of the model builder manning the forward 50's - his position on the boat he served on.  

DSC09301.JPG

A CONTEST PHOTO.JPG

DSC09354.JPG

One last bit of info for those who might be in the area this weekend

Kurt

MANITOWOC, Wis. — The Wisconsin Maritime Museum, 75 Maritime Dr., Manitowoc, is pleased to announce that it is hosting its 41st Annual Midwestern Model Ships & Boats Contest & Display on Sat., May 20 from 9-5 and Sun., May 21 from 9-2.

Thirty-five ships and boats created by accomplished modelers from eight states will be on display. They will be part of the longest running juried model boat contest in the nation. Other activities for visitors include an outdoor radio controlled boat pond and the opportunity to vote for the People’s Choice model.

Visitors will enjoy models representing a wide variety of boats and ships from many eras, including an 18th century longboat, a German navy frigate, the USS Izard WWII destroyer, a sternwheel towboat, a racing sailboat half-model, and a very unique carved boxwood Viking figurehead in a mini-book, to name a few. The public is welcome to view the models, talk with the modelers, and enjoy the daytime activities free with museum admission.

The contest is associated with the Nautical Research Guild. Other sponsors of the event include:  F.K. Bemis Family, Badger Air Brush, Wisconsin Scale Boating Association, Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago, North Shore Deadeyes, Midwest Model Shipwrights, Rocky Mountain Shipwrights, and River Bluffs Maritime Museum.

Wisconsin Maritime Museum Background

Located in Manitowoc along the shores of Lake Michigan, the Wisconsin Maritime Museum is a great place to learn, play and explore the rich maritime history of Wisconsin and the Great Lakes region.  The museum’s interactive exhibits offer many opportunities for family fun. Guided tours of the World War II submarine USS Cobia are also available.

For more information, visit wisconsinmaritime.org or call 1-866-724-2356.

done 001.jpg

DSC00790.JPG

mtaylor, hexnut, Elijah and 5 others like this

Good show, a lot of very good contestants.  Question, is the gentleman who submitted the Half Moon on this site?  I really like that ship and have some questions for him if he is available

Thanks!

mtaylor and Elijah like this

I don't think Allen is, but send me a PM with your email and I will put you in contact with him

Kurt

Elijah and mtaylor like this

I have been promised photos from a few of the attendees but while I wait for them here is a link that aired on the local TV about the event.

Kurt

Archi, Cuda1949, davyboy and 8 others like this

Can't view the video, Kurt.  When I click on "learn more" it takes me to a Facebook help page. 

mtaylor and Elijah like this

I just checked it and the big arrow button in the middle of the photo took me right to the video.  Maybe if you don't do Facebook you can't see it.  Sorry, but it's all I have so far.  I am way too busy running the show to get photos myself but when I get the promised photos I will share them.  Maybe it will work for you with the link below.

Kurt

https://www.facebook.com/HeraldTimesReporter/videos/10154371746036193/

WackoWolf, Jack12477, Elijah and 1 other like this

Hmm, guess the video doesn't like Windows XP - it doesn't display a big arrow but rather the message "Video Unavailable - Sorry, this video cannot be played - learn more"  BUT when I display it on my Android tablet it plays fine.  So viewed it on the tablet instead of laptop. Nice models, Kurt.

This was the best of show - I had the photo prior to the show.  By Bob Filipowski - from the Midwest Model Shipwrights here outside Chicago.  Sorry the color is a bit yellowish.

DSC00791.JPG

Here is the link to Bob's build log for the longboat.  It looks even better in person than in the photos.  Congratulations, Bob.

The video worked fine on windows seven.  I would have loved to go but was unable to attend as I could not get a copilot to go along. :( (with my cars' wheelchair lift set up I need someone to hold the umbrella while I transfer in and out, as it takes awhile and I would have been soaked on my own)  Rain ,snow or ice is hard to work with when in a wheelchair anyway.  Maybe next year!:)

Jack12477, mtaylor and WackoWolf like this

Dave:

We can assist if you let us know you need some help - cell phone call when arriving - after that we can take care of goings and comings.  If you think you can come next year let me know and I can arrange to have some assistance at the Manitowoc end.  Even I am qualified to hold an umbrella.:)

Take care,

Kurt

Thanks Kurt, that's something to keep in mind in the future.:)  Normally my wife would come along with me, but this past weekend she was closing up her hair salon after 13 years and just had too much to take care of and too little time to do it.

WackoWolf and mtaylor like this