Ahoy!

When working on solid hull boats such as the MS Phantom or Sultana not all areas can be shaped with a dremil or sandpaper.  So how does one use a chisel to trim that area between fore and aft decks or thin the thick bow portion. The aft part of the deck should be flat but it slopes upward and that portion of the bullwork needs to be cleaner.

How to position the hull for chiseling, how does one do this type of work.

Chuck A

Chuck A.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you even tried.

Chuck, can you post a picture of the area that you are talking about?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

58f577af6851c_2017-04-1721_15_42.thumb.jpg.175c8a99bab6fdcf0b4902685803e5ed.jpg

I hope you can see from the photos there are areas that a Dremel cannot handle. The bow needs to be thined, how?

58f57a4c73839_2017-04-1721_16_43.thumb.jpg.6eb450ec437ed166e2f6c17016f117cb.jpg

This is between decks. I believe the distance between decks is 2mm.

There is an area at the end of hull that requires the same type of work. (Photo will not upload)

I hope that I am clear inow my request for knowledge. 

Chuck A

Chuck A.

I think it's a case of removing material slowly with an exacto knife. Dremels are great but they take off material very fast and an exacto is slow but accurate. A trick you may find helpful  is to make a series of vertically drilled holes into the material that will be removed. With a very smal drillbit. Drill as many holes as you can as close together as possible but NOT directly adjacent to the line demarcating what you want to keep, drill close to this line but not on it. Now the material to be removed has been pre-digested a bit and the exacto will have an easier time removing the waste wood. Mark the shank of your drillbit with a piece of adhesive tape corresponding to the depth you want to cut down to and then keep your eye on that tape as you drill. 

Niagara USS Constitution 

If you intend to pursue this into many more vessels:

consider obtaining various sizes of micro chisels

they come with either palm or straight handles

which one is based on your comfort.

Flexcut , U.J.Ramelson  , Mastercarver  are some manufacturers

of chisels and gouges in a variety of smaller widths. 

They tend to be $25 +/_ $10 each - thus not a frivolous expenditure.

For a one off or occasional use.  Xacto and similar have disposable micro blades

that can do the job.  The gouge sizes are limited as a disposable item and

they are probably to be preferred for safe removal of wood volume.

In every instance, but especially with Basswood - keep the edges very sharp.

Unless you nick the edge, frequent use of a honing stone is not necessary - if at all.

It is usually sufficient to strop after every few cuts on a piece of scrap leather

that is charged with a fine compound like red rouge - green Al oxide - Flexcut Gold.

They come as sticks and are used like a crayon on the leather.

Wrist rotation should do for stropping a gouge on a flat leather surface, since it is

a pull motion.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hi Chuck,

I would suggest the use of sharp gouge and chisels finished off with flexible sanding sticks.  If the deck is low or lacks camber, you can build it up as shown below.  You will find more pictures on carving and working with solid hulls in my Brigantine Newsboy of 1854 build log here at MSW.

Regards,

Pete 

image0009.jpg

image0032.jpg

image0033.jpg

image0034.jpg

image0036.jpg

image0038.jpg

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Personal Experience!!  For working on carved hulls you need to buy a carver's glove or at least a heavy knit glove to protect your hands.  Use this to protect the hand that is not holding the tool.  One slip with a sharp chisel and you are on your way to the emergency room.

Roger

Chuck,

All of the foregoing are good suggestions. 've built both the Sultana and the Phantom. I'd like to add a couple of ideas.

The carving chisels are good (keep them sharp). The curved ones are especially good for the bow and other curved areas. I also use the #17 and #18 Exacto blades--godd on the bulwarks and deck separation.

One thing I find indispensable is a collection of the very inexpensive fingernail filing boards. I use them so much I wear out several on each model. The small tan ones are especially useful; they have two sides with different grits. They are small and slim and fit into tight spaces. The larger ones with several grits in different colors. These can all be found in any drug store in women's grooming section.

Good luck on your modelling endeavors.

Walt

Here are ome shots of my Phantom:

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0048a.jpg

Patience, patience; slow and easy makes the model.

Finished projects: NY pilot boat Phantom;  lobster smack Emma C. Berry

Current build: English Pinnace

To all

Thanks for the info.  

I absolutely have the wrong chisels, payday is next week. I will get what is required to keep the tools sharp.

I will book mark this section and use the photos to help with rigging.

As far as securing goes, I spent a large part of the day trying to find anything to attach to the bottom of the hull so that I could use a vise.  We are moving to Oklahoma City which means that stuff is getting packed or my Commander in Chief tossed stuff out. I did consider sawing a small piece broom handle, but feared that if caught the boss would make me use it.

Thanks the advice will be used.

ChuckA

Chuck A.

Get a closet hanger dowel from a local hardware store.

The smaller dowels are often too dogleggy - or get that way -

to use as spars.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Chuck,

When carving the lower hull I secure the hull block to a reference board that provides a common baseline for station/profile templates.  Shaping of decks and bulwarks is performed in a cradle that supports the model with the waterline level.

Regards,

Pete 

image0007.jpg

image0017.jpg

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

All,

We have relocated from Hancock, NH to our home in San Diego, CA.  I have also kept busy with my full size 1:1 scale shipbuilding projects.  I am now setting up my shop and hoping to return to modeling in the near future.  First project will be to rig the Brigantine Newsboy 1854 and complete the 14 Gun Brig Fair American circa 1780.

Regards,

Pete

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Hi Chuck, as a woodworker in another life my advise is to get your chisels 'scary' sharp and pare down on the work as you sneak up to the line you have marked by grasping the chisel very close to the tip (but keep a safe distance back)- this gives you the best control possible.. Don't hammer the work piece and just sneak up slowly rather than trying to remove large chunks quickly.

John

"Without ships there is nothing"

I'm watching this thread closely because my son and I are about to start building the MS Phantom solid hull.

Though not completely not germane to the topic of the OP, I noticed the perfectly drawn lines in the photos (both longitudinally and athwartship).  How do you all achieve this?  This applies to all ship molding techniques (POB, Solid, etc.)?  VERY Impressed

Thanks,

Rob

Current Build (going to take me awhile...can't wait to retire from Active Duty!!) - however, the hiatus is over so the shipyard is opening!:

MS Willie L. Bennett 1:32 - Build Log

Next Builds:

MS Phantom

MS Dapper Tom

MS 18th Century Longboat

MS Bluenose

MS Rattlesnake

If I Gain the Experience and Talent:

Syren

USS Constitution

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2017 at 10:57 AM, Pete Jaquith said:

Chuck,

When carving the lower hull I secure the hull block to a reference board that provides a common baseline for station/profile templates.  Shaping of decks and bulwarks is performed in a cradle that supports the model with the waterline level.

Regards,

Pete 

image0007.jpg

image0017.jpg

This work is inspiring.   

Always keep the hand holding the work or, if it is a vise, behind the tool. There is an optimum amount of pressure you can apply. If the cut doesn't work, change the cut. Do not add more force. The tool will slip and most likely wind up going through your hand. Always keep your tools razor sharp. The most dangerous tool is a dull one.

Regards