I would like to hear your opinion whether to use balsa as bow and stern filler or would you suggest to use some other type of wood? Thanks for your pros and cons! :)

Current builds: Confederacy (kit) & Triton Cross Section (first scratch built)

Completed: Armed pinnacle (kit)

If you use it as a shape to help the plank go around the curve only, and not as something to fix the plank to, it might be OK.  It wouldn't, I think, hold a pin or other physical fastener, those planks on an apple-bowed hull have a lot of strain on them, but I could be wrong.

Hey howya goin Roks82 mate, I've always used balsa wood for my filling as long as there is a piece of wood up against the Bow of the ship where I can nail into.  You can't nail into balsa wood but you can glue to it.:bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Thanks to everyone! Seems that each one of us has a different opinion / method. I've raised the question as I found out in some posts that some people tend to avoid using balsa but was not sure why. Definitely pine and basswood offer much more support but it also requires heavier sanding. 

Since my filler is only used for additional support/shaping of the bow/stern and I am a bit lazy I will stick with balsa :) 

Current builds: Confederacy (kit) & Triton Cross Section (first scratch built)

Completed: Armed pinnacle (kit)

If you're going to glue to the balsa, after shaping it, coat it with a layer of glue and water (50/50).  It will help hold anything being clued to it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have used balsa with no problems. True it doesn't hold a nail, but you seldom need it.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I'm actually with Peter on this, for my own work.  Please note the wiggle words I used.

If balsa is all you've got, it might work for you, within limitations.

Hey howya goin all, the only reason the filler block is there for me is to keep curvature of the planks all even and I have put pins in the balsa wood to just keep the plank up to it while the glue dry not nail in the planks.  :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Balsa wood has been used for decades as construction material for model airplanes. Also in very thin strips. And they are only glued together without any other fasteners, and still the constructions are/were very rigid. Filling blocks used in shipmodels are solid wood, much more stronger than thin strips, so I don't know any reason why they couldn't be used. And as Roks82 said, they are much easier to sand as heavier wood.