English Pinnace by Tigersteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways

1/16" x 1/32" maple strips were soaked in hot water for several minutes to create the curved base moulding around the supports. 1/8" x 1/32" maple strips were used for the vertical moulding. Some minor adjustments are needed before installation.

Steve

IMG_3912.JPG

Edited by Tigersteve

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd take a small break from painting to dry-fit all parts again. While there are several more coats that need to be applied, I believe it's getting closer to an acceptable finish.

In this dry-fit I am looking at the thwarts and questioning if they butt up against the frames enough. I feel I may need to redo these so they butt up against the frames more. Any thoughts fellow Pinnace builders? Will this be a problem during inboard planking?

Steve

IMG_3944.JPG

3 hours ago, Tigersteve said:

Thought I'd take a small break from painting to dry-fit all parts again. While there are several more coats that need to be applied, I believe it's getting closer to an acceptable finish.

You were reading my mind. I couldn't figure how you were going to paint everything. Never realized that things weren't glued yet. :huh:

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Steve,

Looking at the instruction photos, it appears that the thwarts butt against the frames.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

nice work Steve,

your pinnace looks great..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks everyone! I will remake some of the thwarts. Mike is correct. They should butt up against the frames. Installed the stern post, cockpit seats, and seat supports.

Steve

IMG_3950.JPG

IMG_3954.JPG

The thwarts were recut and scrap wood was used to keep the proper spacing according to the plans. The grooves were made with a hand razor saw and miter box. After all thwarts were cut and placed, I used a scrap piece of the same width to mark the center lines for the longboard. The notches were filed last. Here's a photo after two coats of Wipe-on-Poly.

I plan to glue all this together prior to installation. 

Steve

IMG_3965.JPG

Edited by Tigersteve

Luckily I did another dry-fit before any gluing. Turns out there was an error in marking the longboard location on the thwarts. Either that or I misfiled the notches. I should be able to redo two of the four thwarts and be more on point.

This particular modification with the longboard is tricky. A slight error becomes very obvious. This revision will take a while. I will post after all is installed. 

Steve

Edited by Tigersteve

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of notching the thwarts to accept sections of the longboard, I decided to notch one long strip where the thwarts would be inserted. This resulted in a straight board. Something I was not able to achieve in earlier attempts. The board was clamped from underneath and marked before filing the notches. 

The thwarts were also notched to create a flush joining of the pieces. Lots of dry clamping before the final installation. I'm happy with the results and decided not to include the grooves for the sake of a crisp finish. I will have to remake the forward platform without the grooves.

Steve

IMG_3981.JPG

IMG_3976.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG

Edited by Tigersteve

Ditto that Steve - did I understand correctly, you filed those notches?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I decided to omit the cockpit trunk and installed seating as per the example I presented in an earlier post. I also completed the forward platform. Inboard planking is next. 

Steve

F097A1B1-1E26-460E-869E-59996CEB8C4F.jpeg

09413AA6-305F-426D-9D96-AD75FDABC962.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

The inboard planking will be completed in sections due to the multiple curves required from bow to stern. I planked the cockpit section with pre-painted 1/16” and 1/8” strips. These will be filled and repainted when the rest of the planking is complete to hide any seams. 

I am using basswood for this part of the planking.

Steve

36AEC12A-BEA6-45A3-8EF7-4842A34A7470.jpeg

857E90EF-E7E0-484A-BAB3-FAC63CAF69EB.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve

That is a good question. I thought that the basswood was much more flexible and easier to bend and it will be painted anyway. (I had forgotten just how much after working with the maple.) I will use mostly 1/8” x 1/32” for the remaining inboard planking. 

Steve

Edited by Tigersteve

I like the color and the pre-painting seems like a good idea at this stage to avoid the inevitable slop/bleed onto the thwarts and seats.

Steve - I'm reading a nautical oriented book taking place around the Revolutionary War. The guys are doing a lot of rowing around. Every time I read a section like that I picture this boat.

• 2 weeks later...

The inboard planking at the bow was completed by cutting pieces to shape. The curves needed were too extreme to edgebend. My paint job went to hell during the sanding of the cap rail. It is necessary to get the rail as thin as possible to avoid looking bulky. The overlap of the rail outboard is 1/32”. 

My original plan was to leave the cap rail natural, but it looks unfinished without paint now that I see it installed. It will take some time to paint so here are some photos in the meantime. 

Steve

BCF7F6AC-A5B8-4C82-AACB-6AE3B5A3BCC2.jpeg

72F7DD2B-3DAC-40FE-9F3F-D77700BAC498.jpeg

365192BC-69BB-41CE-BE54-E9E37D328ED1.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve

beautiful work Steve,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks guys. I added a revised photo in my previous post. Had to remove the cap rail behind the seat back. The shapes were loosing symmetry after more sanding and filing. Those sections of the cap rail were recreated and will be installed after I touch up the paint in that area. 

Steve

The interior and cap rail painting is complete. Roughly twenty coats later with light sanding between some coats. One coat of Wipe-on-Poly applied.  

Looking forward to seeing how it looks with the mouldings added. Before that tedious job, I will craft the seats for the helmsmen. 

Steve

8AFFC151-ACB5-4340-A98D-D81E20DE8101.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve