English Pinnace by Tigersteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Looking good, Steve. Your work is always so clean and sharp. I was wondering if you had considered fitting knees to your benches ?? I've always thought that these really made the small craft pop.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

• 2 weeks later...

Helmsmen seating completed. This task was trickier than I thought, but that’s to be expected at this point.

Steve

A5DE55AF-62DD-4EC1-AC0E-B960F8C25E55.jpeg

FD43057F-A5CE-48A1-8EE6-31B299FBD534.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve

Thank you all for the positive comments and likes! I’ve certainly been taking my time with this project. I just realized I started this log in April! The panels should be fun. Who knows how long that will take... 😜

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

The eight midship panels are completed. To accomplish this I created a template to capture the correctly sized rectangle. 1/16” wide maple strips were sanded and coated with Wipe-On-Poly prior to cutting the mitors. A jig was created to size, assemble, and glue the panels. After they were assembled, another sanding and coat of WOP was applied.

The “fancy” profile was omitted. Many logs I viewed showed folks adding this detail, but at 1/32” thick almost none could produce a profile as clean as in Chuck’s prototype. Mike Y had the cleanest profile, btw. I created a scraper and tried it out, but even with hard maple it was difficult. I decided to save the hours on this detail and move forward. (It’s extremely tiny with the naked eye, but looks huge in photos.)

Next task is to figure out the configuration of the rear panels. I will try a modification: one longer panel instead of two shorter panels. Another template will be made to see how it looks.

Steve

DEF07705-F50C-4271-8565-F41F8E1DA14A.jpeg

B678F104-B8FB-45BB-A6B1-D4E6BBB3341F.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve

The rear panels were fitted and installed one piece at a time onboard. The bottom strip of each panel was slightly edge-bent to follow the curve above the cockpit seats. I skipped making the template and jumped right into this. I think the single panels change it up a bit.

The panels really should be somewhere in between 1/16” and 1/32” wide in my opinion. Unfortunately, mine are not. ;-)

Steve

76D52888-9965-4642-8CDD-ABE355BAF95E.jpeg

96A720BF-6250-435E-9B39-F5702B00E54A.jpeg

Steve,

Beautiful work! Very clean and  the paint just shines. I just pulled up a seat, as I will use your build as a guide. Mine is currently on hold but I plan to get back this summer. 

Edited by DBorgens

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

:)  :)  :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. The last and most difficult of the paneling is complete. Strips were edge-bent after soaking in hot water to create the curvature. One continuous panel was created to take the place of the knee at the bow. Not as crisp as the other panels, but this issue should fade as the knees are added.

Steve

AA8FB25A-7C9A-4FFB-BB22-D3CC506CFD12.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve

Steve - it seems like you are taking this kit to a whole new level. I'd have to say this is the best Pinnace build I can remember. Your care for the details is really obvious.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Thank you. I appreciate that guys! I installed the friezes last night. It really makes the boat “pop”. After I install the mouldings I will post photos. 

Steve

The friezes were treated with Minwax Polycrylic before using a glue stick to apply. The difficult part was cutting the friezes off the sheet. The mouldings were edge-bent with dry heat to conform to the shape of the hull. Gluing these was a challenge.

After the glue dried, the mouldings and hull were sanded. Wipe-On-Poly was applied to the entire outer hull including the friezes. 

Steve

0F27EEA6-A04D-43A3-A7A6-89275B975F1A.jpeg

Nice mouldings, good idea to make one long rear panel instead of two, looks better.

For the detailing - it was quite easy to scrape it on a boxwood strip. Your wood looks fluffier (though hard to say on a photo), so maybe it is the wood. I never got anything similar on a soft wood (tried on a kit supplied basswood and failed).

Edited by Mike Y

Thanks, Mike! The maple is much harder than the basswood, but I didn’t invest much time into making a scraper so my attempts at this detail were short lived. I decided in the end to move forward. I think you were the only one to successfully reproduce Chuck’s results.

Steve

Tigersteve - I recall when you 1st started work on this boat. Your build on the Longboat  was excellent and you had some reservation about this kit. Your talents have served you well! This is a wonderful build and glad to see it come together ;)

Edited by Fright

Robert O

Steve - I always wondered about those friezes. I have some similar ones for a few of the kits on my shelf. How did that paper hold up when wetted by glue and also your finish? Any wrinkles or shrinking?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hi Mike. When I first applied the Minwax Polycrylic it appears to wrinkle, but the paper pretty much dries flat. A thin coat was applied.

I used an Elmer’s glue stick to glue the frieze. My method is to hold the frieze with my thumb and run the glue stick the entire strip. Make sure it’s coated and there are no lumps before applying. After it’s applied I run my finger over the entire strip. This smooths out any bumps and I can ensure proper adhesion.

Steve

Thanks for the feedback Steve. My kits Nuestra Senora and Royal Caroline have a ton of that kind of artwork that is supposed to be applied. Sounds like you have a good approach for doing it. If I can only remember when it comes time :huh: