The Journal is now Digital Read more... ×
Kevin

At a Glance: A Snapshot of MSW Members' Current Projects

Posted (edited)

At last I have finished the @#$%^^&&* ratlines on the Granado.  Gosh is that a tedious job! I am puzzled as to why the instructions (this is the JoTiKa kit) have you do the ratlines in light thread and then stain with India ink.  Why not just do them in black to begin with?

Next  the crowsfeet and then the yards and running rigging and this 10 year build will finally end.

ratlines.jpg

Edited by ragove

On 4/19/2018 at 5:53 PM, ragove said:

At last I have finished the @#$%^^&&* ratlines on the Granado.  Gosh is that a tedious job! I am puzzled as to why the instructions (this is the JoTiKa kit) have you do the ratlines in light thread and then stain with India ink.  Why not just do them in black to begin with?

Next  the crowsfeet and then the yards and running rigging and this 10 year build will finally end.

ratlines.jpg

Whoopsie.  Any sharp eyes notice the three empty deadeyes?  I forgot 3 of the main topmast backstays!!!.  easy to fix anyway.

Current state of interior fit-out of my ‘doll boat’ - a 1:12 scale model of a 40 foot cruising sailboat that started from a bare hull discovered in an attic. It’s being made into my personal take on a doll house for my five year old daughter. It’s a custom interior design to suit a small family living aboard.

4245B81D-66A9-4A0B-B121-A45F4E9B07C9.thumb.jpeg.21a7bd79635e56b19bd9dd5d2770270c.jpeg

Link: 

Posted (edited)

Deck beams in place and deck planking begun. The masts are made and the metal plating on the spur is complete.

Next jobs - finish the deck planking, make a metal-shod point for the business end of the spur, and get onto making the yards. 

1461594591_20180906_0816451.thumb.jpg.ac68aa57092d6618b35eca27bef996df.jpg

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Update as of Aug. 15 2018.

After a fall from the worktable to the floor, some repairs were made and this is how my Royal Louis looks today.

I finished today placing all the gunport covers. I placed them randomly open, closed or semi-closed on purpose to break monotony. (According to me! :))

With this I finish hull work. I am starting today with masting and rigging FINALLY!!! Can't wait to start tying thousands upon thousands of clove hitches in the ratlines. :)

You can see main and foremasts raw dowels in place to start this job.

If you feel like it, please visit my build log for a more detailed post and more photos.

Thank you and cheers :)

IMG_0050.thumb.jpg.f90545cf3278657c10ed89a655cf6452.jpg

Ahoy Mates

Here's what my Cheerful looks like today. Near the end of the build. Just 2 weeks to go before it has to be completed. Set up the port anchor as it was "fished" hauling it aboard.

Keith and Pickels

mailing doc. anchor fishing changes to guys 8-14-2018 017.JPG

anchor lines 8-11-2018 012.JPG

An update on Le Soleil Royal. This picture has the stern mostly finished. I am actually a bit further along and working on other parts of the ship but, I thought this was a good picture to update this thread with.  

102.jpeg