HM Brig Supply by AndrewW - Caldercraft - 1:64

I finished my Endeavour Longboat a couple of weeks ago and procrastinated over what to build next. I decided on the HM Brig Supply by Caldercraft wanting a more detailed kit with better instructions, preferably with 2 or less masts, definitely preferably with cannons and ideally something historically significant to Australia.

After a couple of weeks of nervous anticipation the big brown box arrived from Cornwall Model Boats today.

I quickly opened it to have a look and firstly was blown away by how much bigger everything was than on the longboat kit. However, I was disappointed in the instructions which amounted to 4.5 photocopied pages. I had previously looked at the multi-volume instructions available on the Jokati website and had assumed all the Caldercraft kits had the same detailed instructions. Lesson learnt! However the full size plans are awesome. Thankfully this is my second model and not the first or I reckon I might have packed it away never to see the light of day again. But with the experience from the longboat and the awesome resources on this site I am sure I get it done.

That's it for now, I will do an inventory check tomorrow and then plan to start building on the weekend.

Current Build:

Caldercraft HM Brig Supply 

Completed Builds:

HMS Endeavour Longboat

• 2 weeks later...

And so it begins ...

I got the kit out and started dry-fitting the hull components. Before you now it I had fitted the bulkheads to the false keel and also fitted the decks!

There was a bit of time head-scratching as the written instructions differed from the pictorial instructions on sheet 1. Written instructions say to attach the bulkheads and decks then attach the bow, keel and stern piece, whereas the pictorial instructions say to fit the bow, keel and stern piece first. In the end I followed the written instructions but I did take the opportunity to cut the keel and stern piece while I had easy access to the false keel. Time will tell (tomorrow) as to whether I made the correct design when it comes to attaching these parts.

Hint: The written instructions say to attach all three deck pieces before attaching the stern patterns. In this case I followed the pictorial instructions and did the stern patterns first otherwise it would have been very difficult to fit them after the aft deck.

Apologise for the rubbish iPhone photos in poor light.

5 hours down, many more to go :)

Tomorrow: Attaching the keel components, sourcing timber for and installing filler blocks and sanding/shaping the bulkheads ready for the first lot of planking.

IMG_8703.JPG.7df73eda9206949f7ab6e1b0c70a69fe.JPGIMG_8704.JPG.ca76bf124768d2e230e82a332432f94f.JPG

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

HMS Endeavour Longboat

Always exciting to start a new build

Good luck for the build!

Regards

Jeremy

Currently in the shipyard:      Meta nr 484 - Billing
                                                La Toulannaise (Billing) - on hold

Waiting patiently in the shed: HMS Victory - Da Agostini (collection complete and anxiously waiting :D )

IL Leudo - Amati

Lilla Dan nr 578 - Billing

Tip: I was reading another build log where there was an issue with the cutouts in the decks not being big enough for the bulkheads to fit. I experienced the same issue and was all ready to trim the holes to make them larger, when I realised they were actually exactly the right size but looked too small due to the curve of the bulkheads. The solution was to line the holes up on one side of the ship and then incredibly carefully and with lots of sweating bend the deck along the centre line until it could be slotted behind the bulkheads on the opposite side and the slid down into place.

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

HMS Endeavour Longboat

Nice one Andrew, she is a lovely ship for sure. I read the notes for some of the completed builds on here and they helped big time. I have just finished the standing rigging on my own supply  and now planning and working out the running rigging. I went for windows at the rear of the ship which I sourced from dolls house shops and decided I didnt like the white finish on the hull and went for a varnish finish. Been on it for 14 months now and it has been a great learning kerb. So ill pull up a plank and follow along.

Terry

Current build: Caldercraft 1:64 HM Brig Supply

Finished builds: HMS Endeavours longboat

• 7 months later...

I've been really slack in updating this build log.

Since my last post, I have completed the first and second planking, removed the inner bulwark tabs, planked the inner bulwarks and cut the gun ports.

I realise that my planking is incorrect, I was following the written instructions and the plans, but it wasn't until I was almost done that I found an awesome article that explained the proper way to do stealers etc. So I have pointy, triangular stealers but thankfully once I have done the final filling and sanding and paint the hull I don't think it is going to be really noticeable. I have learnt my lesson for the next ship though! The other lesson I learnt is that I sanded my filler blocks too "flat" at the bow. I needed to leave them rounder to give the bow a fuller shape and to give a smoother run for the planking.

26166622_10155872096552593_3129923167416745126_n.jpg.e464c241db3bb81329ad011180aa239e.jpg

26112279_10155872096582593_2253350501581015050_n.jpg

26165853_10155872096567593_1205340355312678288_n.jpg

IMG_9469.JPG

IMG_9470.JPG

IMG_9471.JPG

IMG_9472.JPG

IMG_9473.JPG

IMG_9868.JPG

IMG_9869.JPG

IMG_9870.JPG

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

HMS Endeavour Longboat

Andrew

You will enjoy this kit, it is a very nice ship - the materials are good.

Wish you well.

Regards

Doug

Completed: HM Brig Supply - JoKita / Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Fly - Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Sherborne - Caldercraft 1:64

HM Brig Flirt - Vanguard 1:64

Things are coming along nicely, inner bulwarks are painted, gun port surrounds, port windows and upper rails installed.

Now I've hit a snag. The last thing I need to install in preparation for varnishing the hull is the main whale. I am not 100% confident that I have it in the right position, and I want to make sure that it is in the right location so that the deadeye straps will sit properly. And this is my snag.

How do I attach the deadeye strops? (I hope I'm using the correct terminology).

If you look in the photo, I have no idea how to connect the open end of the deadeye strop to the end of the brass etched piece.

Any help greatly appreciated.

IMG_9877.JPG

IMG_9878.JPG

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

HMS Endeavour Longboat

G'day Andrew.

All you need to do is close up the ends of the black deadeye strap, leaving it wide enough to pass the brass strap through. Then make a hook in the brass strap, fit it through the black strap and close it up. It's not really authentic (reasonably close though), but fairly typical of the way that kits do it. After you've fitted the deadeyes to the channels put a drop of CA glue onto both straps to make sure they can't open again.

A better way would be to silver solder the black strap closed (without the deadeye in) and do the same as above. Check out THIS LINK to see how I made the ones for Vulture, it continues on the following page.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks Dan, I think I get what you are saying, time to go and tinker!

edit: that seems to have done the trick, thanks for the help.

IMG_9879.JPG

Edited by AndrewW

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

HMS Endeavour Longboat

I like your progress. Well done.

you may be satisfied with the deadeyes and strops as the one above, but if you want to se another option for these go to my build log of the Dos Amigos. I ended up buying annealed #24 wire and some bracelet making chain from a craft store to do mine. However, I had terrible (IMO) wire and strops supplied in the kit. Jotika's are much better.

In any case, I'll keep following your fine build.

Well that was challenging .. but fun.

I thought the main whale was going to be difficult but it turned out pretty easy. The decking on the other hand ... I decided to go for a 5 pank pattern with 100mm planks (21 foot scale). Not based on any historical documents, just because it looked "right". I used an HB pencil to colour in the 4 edges of every plank. All up it took me 12 hours (4 hours Friday night and then 8 hours today). I did a bit of trial sanding and it looks amazing, but I didn't want to push my luck after such a long day and will sand the rest tomorrow before assembling the rudder and varnishing the hull. As you can imagine, when it was all done it was very much time to "release the kraken" :)

The keen eyed might notice that the opening for the larger hatch is narrower than on the plans. As others have noted I believe it is too wide and will interfere with the operation of the adjacent cannon, so I have decided to make it a more sensible width. Should help with he ship's boat that I have on order that will need to sit above it as well.

Can't wait to get the bulwark rails on to really finish off the look of the deck, but unfortunately the required timber was completely missing from the box. I have ordered some replacement from cornwall model boats, just waiting for it to arrive.

IMG_9885.JPG

IMG_9886.JPG

IMG_9887.JPG

IMG_9888.JPG

IMG_9889.JPG

Edited by AndrewW

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

HMS Endeavour Longboat

• 2 weeks later...

Another busy couple of weeks. I have effectively finished the deck level.

Still need to build the ship's boat (bought the Jotika one, it is a project all in itself) and scratch build a cradle for it.

Would like to have a go at doing the rigging for the cannons and I still need to scratch build some windows for the stern, my first two attempts did not turn out well.

There are definitely some places where the paint could do with a touch up, but looking the photos I am seeing stuff that I have never seen with my naked eye. I also know that I need to redo the lashing on the anchors, the current version is definitely temporary.

I've made a few mistakes along the way, some corrected, some too far gone and I will just have to live with.

But I am ecstatic with the results so far considering this is my first "big" ship.

Also, I curse whoever came up with the hatch rings design to a life of eternal scurvy!

IMG_9956.JPG

IMG_9957.JPG

IMG_9958.JPG

IMG_9959.JPG

IMG_9960.JPG

IMG_9961.JPG

IMG_9962.JPG

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

HMS Endeavour Longboat

• 3 months later...

Very neat, Andrew. If I can get my Supply looking anything like yours, I’d be very pleased indeed. You’ve given me something to strive for. 

Completed:

Billing’s Boats Cutty Sark

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Panart Royal Yacht Caroline 

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

• 1 month later...
On 13/05/2018 at 11:50 AM, Jobbie said:

Very neat, Andrew. If I can get my Supply looking anything like yours, I’d be very pleased indeed. You’ve given me something to strive for. 

You don't know how much that means to mean. I am super self-critical of my work so good to hear that someone likes it.

Sorry for the slow reply, been on a bit of a procrastination phase, unable to get myself started on the masts and booms, but finally put the instructions and plans down after reading them for the 1000th time and started on the bowsprit today.

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

HMS Endeavour Longboat

• 5 years later...

No way ... 5 years since I put this in the too hard basket and got distracted by other endeavours. Well today I pulled the plans back out of the box and I will be slowly working on the masts. Wish me luck!

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

HMS Endeavour Longboat