Hello everyone,

I come from Newfoundland Labrador, Canada which is surrounded by water. Unfortunately, living in the western region of Canada I'm in, Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada, (the vast prairies), water is very scarce.

Ironically, my new passion for model watercraft will move ahead regardless. I have no interest in speed boat style vessels, but rather, the larger tug boats, fishing boats and eventually, tall ships. Ive done a lot of research, and it makes more sejse to reach for the mountain before the sky. So for my first build, I've chosen the Smit Rotterdam, by Billing Boats. I also intend to install RC components. This model is expert level for that group/style of vessel.

Some say I am, "ambitious". We will see. So far, I am loving it.

An entry level exploration tall ship is my next target. But, if it takes another boat, such as a fishing trawler, well, I will get my tall ship in good time.

"Long may you big jib draw"

20170424_070308.jpg

20170424_192128-1280x720.jpg

"It's better to have it and not want it, than to need it and not have it"

Tommy Lee Jones as Col. Agustus McCrea in Lonesome Dove"

"Long may your big jib draw" 

An old greeting between sailors, of best wishes and the hope for good wind . 

Oh, the rollin' of the sea is beckonin' to me

Powerful first line of a song that best describs me.

Hi Frozen Rabbit, my mother's side of the family hails from Conception Bay.  A small town around there.

I bought that model about 15 years ago, ironically after I got back from a trip to NFLD.  I found it way out of my skill level and it ended up in the garbage about 10 years later.  I then found this site and realized that it was better to start small and go big.  Good luck with the build and I wish you success.  Please start a build log so we can all fall along.

It would also be nice if you could tell us your name.  We are on a first name basis here.

Welcome aboard

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Welcome to MSW! Great to have you with us. Please do start up a build log as that looks like a fun and interesting build to follow along with and with the RC components it will be good to see her in action when done. I wish you the best of luck on your Smit Rotterdam!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Welcome aboard,

You are going to enjoy building this kit. I was building this about two years ago. I had the planking completed and had a serious accident with it and could not repair it.

It would be good if you could start a build log, as I will follow with interest.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Welcome aboard Frozen Rabbit,

Can you please tell us your real name?

When you're ready, feel free to start a build log.
This is a great site for learning/sharing tips and techniques.
If needed, you'll find plenty of help, advise and encouragement from everyone. 

Good luck with your Smit Rotterdam and have fun.

I wish you smooth sailing with our gallant crew.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hey howya goin FrozenRabbit471 mate , welcome.  :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hello Frozen Rabbit,

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW.

I think many are guilty of starting something which may be beyond their skill levels - then they find MSW :D

Regards

Jeremy

Currently in the shipyard:      Meta nr 484 - Billing
                                                La Toulannaise (Billing) - on hold

Waiting patiently in the shed: HMS Victory - Da Agostini (collection complete and anxiously waiting :D )

IL Leudo - Amati

Lilla Dan nr 578 - Billing

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-4-26 at 5:49 PM, Worldway said:

Hi Frozen Rabbit, my mother's side of the family hails from Conception Bay.  A small town around there.

I bought that model about 15 years ago, ironically after I got back from a trip to NFLD.  I found it way out of my skill level and it ended up in the garbage about 10 years later.  I then found this site and realized that it was better to start small and go big.  Good luck with the build and I wish you success.  Please start a build log so we can all fall along.

It would also be nice if you could tell us your name.  We are on a first name basis here.

Welcome aboard

Thank you. I come from

Grand Falls - Windsor, NL

On 2017-4-26 at 10:17 PM, Anja said:

Welcome aboard Frozen Rabbit,

Can you please tell us your real name?

When you're ready, feel free to start a build log.
This is a great site for learning/sharing tips and techniques.
If needed, you'll find plenty of help, advise and encouragement from everyone. 

Good luck with your Smit Rotterdam and have fun.

I wish you smooth sailing with our gallant crew.

Regards,

Anja

Hi Anja, My real name is Terry Healey 😊

I thank everyone for the welcome. I am truely enjoying this build and use the tools and the broad range of advice from various build communities to help me become better as I go along.

It means alot.

Terry😊

I got tired of my fingers being jabbed by pins and tacks when I took them from the containers.
So my wife made me this.
#boatbuild #smitrotterdam #rotterdam #tugboat #rcboats #billingboats #modelboats #modelships #hobby

20170510_092336.jpg

Haha, I should have just started a build thread.😁

Not bad progress today. My planking doesn't look the best, but not too shabby for an amateur. Once the hull is all closed in, I'll epoxy the inner hull then the sanding and fibreglassing starts.

20170510_192432-768x1365.jpg

20170510_192459-1024x576.jpg

Looking good, a build log would be awesome. Welcome to MSW and enjoy.

Hello Terry,

I agree with Don, a buildlog would be great.

This topic explains how to start and name your buildlog: : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/53-before-you-post-your-build-log-please-read-this-starting-and-naming-your-build-log/

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

Thanks Anja. Ive read it and its pretty straight forward. The Rotterdam is obviously static  by the standard kit. If one decides to install the RC components, should it be still listed as static? Just checking before I start a build thread. I don't want to walk the plank:rolleyes:

Hello Terry,

You don't add the word 'static' in the log title.  The only models that aren't static are RC models.

If you decide to do RC, you add the word 'Radio' in the log title.

For example:

Smit Rotterdam by FrozenRabbit471 - Billing Boats or

Smit Rotterdam by FrozenRabbit471 - Billing Boats - RADIO

Regards,

Anja

Ah, gotcha. I did everything right except add "Radio"