America by gsdpic - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1/48 scale

Thanks for the shout-out, Gary - seems a lifetime ago that I worked on America...in reality this was the last model I brought to completion....since then haven't been able to accomplish much in the workshop between demands of work, family and some bug house projects (including constructing what I hope will become my new modelling workshop this summer so I can get back at it!!). In any case, your America looks great! What's next for you?

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

On 4/26/2021 at 5:41 AM, Kevin Kenny said:

Its always such a relief and most times a disappointment when a model get completed. Perhaps the most interesting memory is looking back on those times when you could not figure our something, or when everything went wrong. Now you think back and wonder what the fuss was  all about. 

congratulations on a very fine model. Now for the case.

Thank you!  Yes, I've been trying to figure out what I want to do about a case...more thought and research is required there.

On 4/26/2021 at 6:34 PM, hamilton said:

Thanks for the shout-out, Gary - seems a lifetime ago that I worked on America...in reality this was the last model I brought to completion....since then haven't been able to accomplish much in the workshop between demands of work, family and some bug house projects (including constructing what I hope will become my new modelling workshop this summer so I can get back at it!!). In any case, your America looks great! What's next for you?

hamilton

Thanks.  Understand about life getting in the way....there's a chance that'll happen to me in the coming months but with luck my changes will also result in a better modelling workshop.

As for what's next, I'll likely take a bit of a break.  But it's funny.  If you've followed MSW for any length of time you've probably seen posts where the author refers to having a stash of unbuilt kits.  Three years ago when I saw that I thought it was weird.  But now that I've finished America, I have my own stash.  But nothing nautical.  I have several plastic cars, and both the model airways and artesania latina 1/16th sopwith camel.  I bought the former on a whim when I got a really good deal on it but after some research I decided I really preferred the latter, and if I was going to invest the time I wanted the better one.  I may build the engine from the MA kit and display it along with the completed AL kit, we'll see.

As for boats, I've been thinking about one of the MarisStella kits, likely either the Trabaccolo or Pelig.  Or, I've been lusting after Miss Severn ever since @Tim Moore included a picture of it in a Typhoon build log:

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

And so I have marked this as "finished".  I still need to sort out what I am doing about the case, but the model itself is finished.  Here are a few photos I've taken.  I'll post more in a gallery in the completed kits section in a while.

america_001.thumb.jpg.6077c2270bcbcf056d4ef55377c695b0.jpg

america_005.thumb.jpg.f138e28f2de977b13cd655695406ec47.jpg

america_008.thumb.jpg.895fa940818855536859ed87b0c8bd2c.jpg

america_014.thumb.jpg.cc4fbf12bb6c0e82634551c257b7858d.jpg

And this last one I think @MrBlueJacket will like it.  Of the eight model boats I've completed, 5 of them have been from Bluejacket.  In front are the two very small scale 1934 America's cup contenders Endeavour and Rainbow that I acquired and built probably 20 or 25 years ago.  Behind that is the Bluejacket lobster boat and the Swampscott dory, which I build in the 2015-2016 time frame, and then the just completed America.

america_017.thumb.jpg.54a9027fdebd1fa24a03e7c4472b28d7.jpg

- Gary

Your America is a really fine piece of work Gary. I particularly love the rich treatment on the hull. Looks like it should be on display in a historical museum somewhere. Really well done!

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

On 4/28/2021 at 6:34 AM, Tim Moore said:

Your America is a really fine piece of work Gary. I particularly love the rich treatment on the hull. Looks like it should be on display in a historical museum somewhere. Really well done!

Thank you, you are too kind.  The finish on your Miss Severn and Fifie tell me I have a ways to go yet but I am getting there.

On 4/28/2021 at 8:23 AM, MrBlueJacket said:

Yes, I like it. Very nice. Your customer file now has a note that you will get 10% off your next kit from us.

Nic

On 4/28/2021 at 8:45 AM, FriedClams said:

Beautifully done Gary - she looks great!  Congratulations on the completion of this very handsome model.

Gary 

On 4/28/2021 at 1:19 PM, GuntherMT said:

Congratulations and nicely done Gary.  A fine looking ship to display anywhere!

Thank you all, I appreciate it.  

And thanks again to all those you looked it, commented, and hit the like button on this build log and on the pictures in the gallery.  The encouragement means a lot to me.

- Gary

• 4 months later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 6 months later...

Gary, I have almost finished building Bluejacket's "Rainbow" and "Endeavour" 1:180 scale model kits.  In doing research on them, I came across your picture showing the models of those two ships that you built.  I would like to add flags and pennants to my models, like you did - I think they add a lot of realistic detail and interest.  I realize it was many years ago, but do you remember what the pennants on your models are?  Thank you, Bill Mitchell 

3 hours ago, Bill Mitchell said:

Gary, I have almost finished building Bluejacket's "Rainbow" and "Endeavour" 1:180 scale model kits.  In doing research on them, I came across your picture showing the models of those two ships that you built.  I would like to add flags and pennants to my models, like you did - I think they add a lot of realistic detail and interest.  I realize it was many years ago, but do you remember what the pennants on your models are?  Thank you, Bill Mitchell 

Thanks.  As you say, it was many years ago.  But I don't remember doing anything extra to get the flags and pennants so I assume they must have come with the kit at that time.  It looks like they are just printed paper on my models...should not be too hard to replicate.  My pennants are just solid red and solid blue with no other design or insignia.

- Gary

Gorgeous model of the America, Gary! All of your other models look great also. Nice work!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• The title was changed to America by gsdpic - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1/48 scale