L'Hermoine by Dilbert55 - Artesania Latina - 1/89

• 3 weeks later...

Learning a lot while doing the deck details. Thanks to Ken3335 for the tip on BD needle tips for increased precision gluing. Ordered some from the UK (they don't seem to sell this type anymore in the colonies) and they arrived just in time or it would have been an even messier job. Not perfect, but worth the learning curve.

59a33a051ca6a_30-Fences2.thumb.JPG.f695aac79f6b81ffa678f4f43d349b8d.JPG59a33bcdb16ad_31-Glue.thumb.JPG.c40ec37f09b8e153a3fcfe0ab1d43293.JPG

After installing the AFT fence I am considering not installing the upper railings and removing them from the FWD fences. These upper railings look like an "add-on" feature made to appease a modern day insurance company rather than an original design feature. As seen in Philo426's build log, (small pic below) the original Artesania kit had completely different fences. Does anyone know what the fence designs were on the original Hermoine?  

59a81031b2485_Philo426Deck.png.0de131791f25de0b8be609e48f18267c.png59a8107739a5d_33-AftFence.thumb.JPG.9c4c5dcbe96465659ac6722b4e28528c.JPG

You are correct but.... the kit in your hands represents the replica now in Rochefort and not the original ship and its acurate to that. Yes you are right the original Hermione did not had any restrictions over safety matters with insurance companys or Maritime Safety Rules... 

If you want to see how the original ship was have a look at the sister frigates model kits of Hermione, Courageuse or Concorde. But also the older model kit of Hermione by AL (philos model) represents the original ship and not the replica in Rochefort.

Hope that helps

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

• 2 weeks later...

I showed the pictures of meine and yours. My wife says your ship looks more realistic than meine. It seems the replica model its more colourfull but doesnt reflect a real ship of the 18th century. Stainig the deck planking and the hull instead of paintining it as you did it gave the model the esense of time and therefore of reallity. The thing u have to take care of I think its the railings with  the black net. Thats of the replica. The real ship couldnt had it.

Well done.

Edited by MESSIS

Agree with you that the scale seems to be off with the size of the capstan and the too high height of the bow railings. My choice of finish was based on a strong preference for wood finish and I find Hermoine's modern colors too colorful for me on what is essentially a warship. Think the model finished as per spec., (as you have done very well) results in a brighter look than the real ship. At least that's how it appears to me in pictures of the real ship. The kit was also a bit of a surprise to me as I purchased mine from the Modeller's Workshop site in Montreal and the picture they still have there (shown below) is of the old kit. I assumed that even if they had changed the kit I could still finish it as per this picture. That turned out to be a lot more of a challenge due to there no longer being a 2nd layer of finish quality planking provided. Considered leaving out the nets off the railings and only putting some string in the middle but building the parts was a challenge so I kept them.

Art-22517-Hermione-Lafayette.jpg.ae1244c46992a0a7ddcac58d6bfa508a.jpg

A long time ago when I was a teenager, I used to watch a wrestler from France called Le Giant Jean Ferre here in Quebec. You may have heard of him as Andre the Giant. Here he is taking out King Kong Bundy so perhaps the capstan was designed for french sailors of the same size? :dancetl6: 

Andre_the_Giant.jpg.d1a8595e9fb727241e73d5f0712334bc.jpg

Yes I agree. Though the replica builders claim that the colours they used on the replica are the original ones. And in the kit of AL there is the pantone colour table which is taken from the replica builders

Dont know about if yhe french sailors were giants... but it seems to me the capstan of the kit is the main capstan of the ship stationed on the cannons deck in in its coverd. part where its not visible on the model. I took a picture of it as I visited the ship this Summer and thats bigger.

Maybe something like the US Midway, which I visited last month during my holiday in San Diego (and the south west). Impressive, but not my kind of ship, really. But big enough for him! I spent more time on the HMS Surprise (under maintenance/repairs unfortunately) in the same harbour

currently: master korabel Schooner Polotsk

finished: the Swift 1805, the Lady Nelson

on the shelf: US Brig Syren, Le Renard and the Hermione

I'll see what I can do. They are still on my phone. And I'll have to figure out how to get them to you. But I will try

• 2 months later...

The Hermione project? The ship is still in France and will sail again next year. Or do you mean the Surprise maintenance? That, I don't know. It was there this summer. Maybe they have finished but I don't think so.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi nice to have you back,

Hope everything fine with you. Though our canditade in the first round came second with 30% and our main opponent first with 35%, in the second round we lost the presidential elections by 57% to 43%..... So it didnt happen to become the new minister of home affairs  😡.

Edited by MESSIS

• 1 month later...

Finally some sunshine to take a few pictures. Have made some progress during the rainy, cloudy and cold past few weeks.  

While working on the stern I broke the bond on one of the net railing fence pieces. Removed the fence entirely thinking it would be best to clean off a little of the glue before reattaching. Once removed decided I like the look better without these fences so removed them all. Then decided I preferred a very clean top rail and took off all the bits as well.

5adb5493c9e37_35-RevisedRailing.thumb.JPG.00c37e5bd06903d7ed22a2610ddddf1f.JPG 

5adb553b62400_36-Bow.thumb.JPG.39f4d0334f6d2f0e065849e0146aecfe.JPG

5adb553d79b88_37-Stern.thumb.JPG.cc3b6dcaf0fd7c682a944414f1d5cb8b.JPG5adb553e94399_37-1Stern.thumb.JPG.024e0d082c8fd1d1cafab7895866f07b.JPG

I think its fine what you did for two reasons. First it looks better... you are right. But mainly its the fact that thoses fences are part of the health and safety legislation rules that the french authoritys demand in order to licence the ship. Also those fences never existed on the original Hermione.So considering your preference not to build the replica Hermione... well done. Surely it looks nicer, in fact I made also some thoughts not to use those fences but as you know I stick to the replica version. 

• 2 months later...