All the way from way down South ......

ctclock

.... and thats not Oz :)

In fact, Cape Town South Africa!

Thanks for the admins/mods who approved my membership. You have NO idea what it means for us folk here in South Africa. Info is scant, hobby shops stock the minimum as far as kits and [cant blame them since importing is a huge hassle and the market isnt here] wood etc and 99% Artesania stuff [one importer who brings in Artesania]

I will hopefully, in the foreseeable future, be looking to import some wood etc which is not available here in ZA - if it is, its far above premium price :D

These build logs are heaven sent! Just by browsing I have already learnt so much

My current build 2nd build [first was a disaster] is the La Toulannaise from Billing and I am just about complete with the hull planking.

So much to learn

Thanks for accepting me - humbled to be in the presence of so many experienced people

Regards

Jeremy

Currently in the shipyard:      Meta nr 484 - Billing
                                                La Toulannaise (Billing) - on hold

Waiting patiently in the shed: HMS Victory - Da Agostini (collection complete and anxiously waiting :D )

IL Leudo - Amati

Lilla Dan nr 578 - Billing

.... and thats not Oz :)

In fact, Cape Town South Africa

Welcome aboard from OZ  - we are almost neighbours both of us on 33.5 Sth latitude just a bit of a swim apart.

We share the same problem with wood supplies but there are a number of suppliers listed on the site that you will find reliable and the guys here most generous with advice. Happy building - cheers Pete

Thanks Pete - that's one swim I dont fancy too much :P

Its the reliability of suppliers which I am after. Still waiting after nearly 4 months for a wood order I placed with a local guy (knowing it had to be imported) - very frustrating :(

I have subsequently decided to do things on my own. I will wait for a small list to finish and then place an order - its just the metric and imperial measurements which still has me googling :D

Jeremy

Regards

Jeremy

Waiting patiently in the shed: HMS Victory - Da Agostini (collection complete and anxiously waiting :D )

IL Leudo - Amati

Hello Jeremy,

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey howya goin ctclock mate, welcome   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hello and welcome on board.

I live in Durbanville ( Cape Town) as well and i understand the frustrations in trying to source anything in South Africa for the ship modeller. My first model was the HMS Endeavour and now i am building the San Juan Nepomuceno both from AL. The quality of AL sucks!!!! Specially the Elite Series made in Hong Kong.

Lots of patience,lots of perseverance, and lots of swearing will get you there eventually.

Let me know if you wish to contact me.

Cheers,

Renato

Welcome aboard Jeremy,

When you're ready, feel free to start a build log.

This is a great site for learning/sharing tips and techniques.

If needed, you'll find plenty of help, advise and encouragement from everyone. 

Enjoy your stay here.

I wish you smooth sailing with our gallant crew.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

4 hours ago, loupy45 said:

Hello and welcome on board.

I live in Durbanville ( Cape Town) as well and i understand the frustrations in trying to source anything in South Africa for the ship modeller. My first model was the HMS Endeavour and now i am building the San Juan Nepomuceno both from AL. The quality of AL sucks!!!! Specially the Elite Series made in Hong Kong.

Lots of patience,lots of perseverance, and lots of swearing will get you there eventually.

Let me know if you wish to contact me.

Cheers,

Renato

Small world - I am on a farm just outside Brackenfell :D

We must definitely get together and compare notes. Just give me about 6 weeks to complete my treatment and then its game on!

From what I have read, the Far East kits leave a lot to be desired. Luckily my shipyard doesnt have any kits from the east!

Jeremy

Regards

Jeremy

IL Leudo - Amati

11 minutes ago, davidrasch said:

Are you anywhere near Islandwana? Just picked up a book about the battle and how the British were handed their lunch by the Zulu. I'm hunting for paper model vessels. I wou;ld like a plastic, wood and paper model of the same vessel. 

Sadly no. Isandlwana is about 1300km from me :D

Regards

Jeremy

IL Leudo - Amati

Thanks all for the welcome messages

Regards

Jeremy

IL Leudo - Amati

Welcome to MSW!! Great to have you with us and best of luck to you on your build!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Welcome Jeremy,

Can't say that I fully appreciate your frustrations but I do feel for you.  I did have the pleasure to spend some time off of a freighter at Cape Town, Durban, East London, et al in '66 and was one of the best voyages I experienced.  I am told by acquaintances who have been to S.A. recently that it is nothing like it was 50 years ago, but I do hope to make the trek again and spend time in the interior.   Again, welcome to MSW and enjoy the ride.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

8 hours ago, allanyed said:

Welcome Jeremy,

Can't say that I fully appreciate your frustrations but I do feel for you.  I did have the pleasure to spend some time off of a freighter at Cape Town, Durban, East London, et al in '66 and was one of the best voyages I experienced.  I am told by acquaintances who have been to S.A. recently that it is nothing like it was 50 years ago, but I do hope to make the trek again and spend time in the interior.   Again, welcome to MSW and enjoy the ride.

Allan

Thanks for the welcomes.

Alan, cant say at the present moment we as South Africans are feeling great about our country - too much political issues making a unstable economy. Its great for visitors, but sucks for us since our exchange rate is crappy and makes purchasing overseas expensive.But lets leave the politics aside. 

It is a beautiful country - no doubt. And very popular as a tourist destination because of our weak exchange rate meaning their holiday cottage changes from a cottage to a 4 star hotel :D. Any time you are planning to come to my neck of the woods, give me a shout

Regards

Jeremy

IL Leudo - Amati